Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobo

Hobo

I know that I have not been on here very often,but I know there are a LOT of Very Caring People on this board....Some have actually Met Hobo...
    He is a Wonderful Dog,But he is Not doing well....He has lost most use of his hind legs,he has dropped 20lbs...he is now 30lbs...So Scary...He is deaf,and is losing his eyesight..and I guess he has what is commonly called "Doggie Dementia"...he doesn't always know where he is....
    He is still reasonably alert...just put a piece of Chicken in front of him...
    I am having a Very Hard Time trying to make a decision on his quality of life...he is comfortable,heck he sleeps in our bed all day and most of the night.
    He isVery regular...he rarely has an accident in the house...he still knows what out means...he goes for 2 to 3 very Slow,Short walks per day..

I just know that I Love My Dear Hobo...I adopted him when he was 7...he had already had a Hard Life,and has Scars to Prove it...I want his last days to be as Content as Possible...He is Truly a Wonderful Dog...I Cannot Make this Decision Myself..
    I guess I just needed to vent...I don't know what the answer is..
    Thank You All for Listening....
    Nicole
    I attached some Photos of him taken June 2008
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobo__1[1][1].JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	43496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobo The Magnificent.bmp 
Views:	98 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	43497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobo__3[1].JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	43498  
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

He looks loved and very charming. Give him some good ear scratchins for me.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Blue,
    Thank You,I Will
    The Deli Dog

I know it is a cliche, but when the time comes, you will know, I promise. Give him a kiss on the noggin from me, okay?
    I've Been Frosted

Oh Hobo is a handsome boy. I can relate to your situation completely. My Casey is 13. She is completely deaf but her other senses seem to be working fine. Recently she has been having difficulty going up and down steps and sometimes she fights me on going back up the steps when we go out for our walks. She still wakes up perky in the morning but moves slow on her walks and spends a lot of her time on "her" couch. I say it is her couch because she spends more time on it than anyone else.

I agree with Karen. You will know when it is time. Oh my gosh I have been thinking about it a lot with Casey and it is so difficult. Just make sure he is comfortable and treat him like a king. Keep us posted and send me a private message if you would like to chat about him. I have been through this with two other dogs and a cat but it never gets any easier. My thoughts are with you.

Hello, new here but the picture of your Hobo reminded me of another 14 yr.old dog that I know. You don't say how old Hobo is but if he is eating well, drinking , not in any pain and is content to be by your side then maybe his time isn't here yet. The 14 yr old I'm thinking of has had a stroke, is deaf, mostly blind and also has canine dementia. She needs a ramp to go up and down short stairs but she never has accidents, loves a few very short daily walks, loves to swim and passed the vet check with flying colours. I would say to go with the flow - your dog willet you know.

This is the hardest decision I have ever had to make, more than once. I am so sorry to hear what you're going through. My thoughts and prayers are going out to all of you. I hope you will get a "sign" when the time comes.
    {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Hobo is a beautiful boy. His face is as sweet as can be. There's alot of love in those eyes.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Thank You ALL!!
    Blue,Karen,HappyLabs,Asiel and Daisy and Delilah..
    Your Thoughts and Kind Words are Priceless! I Let Hobo know your thoughts,and Head Scritchies...
    It is comforting to hear that others' have the Same Challenges....Though I know it goes on every day,it is harder when it is your own...
    I forgot to say,Hobo is 13 or 14....He was in a Rescue Facility for 4 Years before I adopted him...He was found as a Full Grown Dog when They got him...They estimated he was 7 ish when I got him in 2003..They are a Great Facility in Miami
    He nibbles his food,so I put a piece of turkey or chicken or something in it to entice him...he has lost 20lbs...he was 48 to 50lbs. from the day I got him...
    Yes,Many trips to the vet...Much Bloodwork done...Vet says,Insides of a 7 year Old (Kidneys,Liver,Etc) Outside of an Old Dog...My Vet doesn't want to Poke and Prod Unnecessarily...I Agree...
    Like You Said..I Just want to Keep Him Comfortable....
    I will keep you updated...THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!
    The Deli Dog

Sorry to hear Hobo is having a hard time...I remember when you adopted him. He was and still is such a handsome boy! He is blessed to have known such a good home the last 6 years with Joey and Deli as his buddies. I know the decision won't be an easy one, but he will let you know.

Hugs and treats to all the kids.

Amy,Ralph & All Your Furkids,
    Hobo and I Thank You for your kind words....
    I am just trying to keep him comfortable at this point...
    One Day at a Time as the saying goes....
    Again,Thank You!
    The Deli Dog

How is Hobo doing? He certainly is a handsome fella. I hope he is doing
    well, with more good days than bad.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hi Lizbd,
    Hobo is having some good days,and some bad....
    we ran blood 2 weeks ago....again...Nothing Wrong...That is major...low thyroid..easy fix,shouldn't do what is happening to him...the wooziness,lack of Balance,etc.
    We x-rayed his sides and abdomen on Friday,as he did not urinate for 43 hours..never mind poo..Nothing Wrong...No Arthritis,Liver,Kidneys,Spleen,Abdoman...All Normal....That is making my Vet think he might have a brain tumor...Clinically My Vet can't find anything wrong with him....that will make him this bad...He has Essentially Stopped Eating...I take him to Burger King,he will not eat a hamberger or chicken sandwhich...
    We just got back from evening walk....It is So Sad...if pavement is uneven,he trips and sometimes falls....I am at a Very Difficult Point....

I THANK YOU ALL For Your Thoughts and Prayers...Hobo Is Grateful..
    Hobo Is Such a Good Boy!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobo & Joey.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	43720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hobo & Joey.bmp 
Views:	76 
Size:	900.1 KB 
ID:	43721  
    The Deli Dog

Oh, Michelle, I can hardly believe your news about Hobo. Sometimes I forget that not only are my dogs getting older but others as well. What a sweetie you have - I remember him so well from our visit with you. I have wished we could have made it again - but a trip to Florida is not in our future any time soon much to our dismay. Carl would especially like to come back and see friends that remained in the area instead of moving back to Ohio.

Our Jack is now 11 or 12. He too is acting older an is very thin also. Although he eats - it just doesn't seem to be adding any weight to him. We found out about a year ago that he has a tumor on his kidney. Surgery will kill him and so we are just letting him tell us when he is ready. He doesn't see or hear well and he is taking a med for dementia because sometimes he does go in the house - it seems like he doesn't know where he is because the door will be open right in front of him and he still stands there and goes by the door. There is only one step to get into the house but sometimes he has trouble making it.

I think you will know when it is time. Hobo will let you know when his life has more bad days than good and he no longer feels good enough to go on. It is hard to let them go.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Sorry to hear that Hobo has slowed down so much lately.When even
    a jucy hamburger gets no reaction, that says a lot.

The older I get, the better I can understand how it feels to suffer the
    aches, pains & general decline our pets feel as they age. I am sending
    prayers for you both. (((Hugs)))
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am so sorry I didn't see this thread before now and then to hear that he is doing worse
    It's never easy to watch them get old, but when they're having problems it only makes it worse.

I will be keeping your sweet boy in my thoughts and prayers.

Many (((HUGS)))
    Anna

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets