Thread: This will go over like a lead balloon.

This will go over like a lead balloon.

The Pentagon wants the military to be smoke free. Yes, I know all about the dangers of smoking. But get real here, one would think that our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are in more danger from their current jobs, then from the cigarettes they smoke.

From Chris Lawrence
    CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- You've seen the iconic picture of a soldier with a cigarette dangling from his mouth, but that could soon be a thing of the past.

A new study commissioned by the Pentagon and the Department of Veterans Affairs recommends a complete ban on tobacco, which would end tobacco sales on military bases and prohibit smoking by anyone in uniform, not even combat troops in the thick of battle.

According to the study, tobacco use impairs military readiness in the short term. Over the long term, it can cause serious health problems, including lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. The study also says smokeless tobacco use can lead to oral and pancreatic cancer.

The Defense Department's top health officials are studying the report's suggestions and will make recommendations to the Pentagon's policy team and Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

The study recommends phasing out tobacco products such as cigarettes and cigars over a five- to 10-year period.

However, the suggested ban does not sit well with many in uniform, including retired Gen. Russel Honore, best known for coordinating military relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina-affected areas with an ever-present stogie. He said soldiers at war need to puff.

"When you're tired and you've been going days on end with minimum sleep, and you are not getting the proper meals on time, that hit of tobacco can make a difference," said Honore, who was in charge of the Army's training programs before he retired.

Other soldiers questioned whether this was a good time to stamp out smoking, given the Army's concern with a high suicide rate.

"For some, unfortunately, they feel that smoking is their stress relief. Well if you take it away, what is the replacement?" said Sgt. 1st Class Gary Johnson.

The Pentagon supports the goal of a tobacco-free military, said spokeswoman Cynthia Smith.

"However, achieving that goal will depend on coincident reductions of tobacco use in the civilian population," she said.

Dr. Ken Kizer, the author of the study, found that civilians don't smoke as much as soldiers. One in three active duty soldiers smoke, he said, adding that among the general population, that number is less than one in five.

The Pentagon banned smoking in buildings on bases years ago. It has counselors on call to help service members quit. But while local governments have heavily taxed tobacco, the commissaries often sell it at deeply discounted prices.

"The military sends very mixed signals," Kizer said. "This is what's confusing to people."

The study found that profits from those tobacco sales -- $80 million to $90 million -- often pay for recreation and family programs on base.
    LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    The Pentagon wants the military to be smoke free. Yes, I know all about the dangers of smoking. But get real here, one would think that our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are in more danger from their current jobs, then from the cigarettes they smoke.

LINK
    ?????????

Just like the drinking age for the military, or tattoos or motorcycles......The government has always tried to take the 'fun' out of the 'job' for the service people.

Agreed, These guys do more to protect the country than I ever will, they deserve to be left alone, let them be.

Mercy! These people are facing death for us! Let them have a cigarette or even a drink if it brings them some comfort!!! sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And they wonder why no one is enlisting any more!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh my

If my butt was fighting in the Army etc., I would be puffing away and wouldn't want some shirt telling me that I could not.

I suspect this will not fly.

Somebod(ies) have too much time on their hands.

That is just insane!!! Give them whatever they want and plenty of it!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

okay....i can see 2% of their reasoning....and i do take care of the vets from the VA hospital.....HOWEVER......the remaining 98%..dum%^&s move is foolish. wasn't it some one, safely behind the front in afghanistan who decreed the special forces on horseback in the early days of the war against the tailban had to be cleanshaven in the field while chasing the OBL and trying to blend in with the locals? this will likely be ignored too.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I can see 2% of their reasoning too. Years ago (and it may still be this way) they gave cigarettes away for free in VA Hospitals!

To me this is just another example of how this administration tackles the small problems because they don't have a clue as to handle the big ones.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post

To me this is just another example of how this administration tackles the small problems because they don't have a clue as to handle the big ones.
    This has nothing to do with this administration. The study was requested in 2007 - best I can figure that was the last administration. I also think that in this type of matter, the Pentagon doesn't worry about what any administration might think.

LINK

LEAVE THEM ALONE! What next?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!