Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newborn Kitten

Newborn Kitten

Hello,

I've been browsing this website for a small time, enjoying reading the posts, but now I have a problem, so I've registered and am here to ask for help.

Recently, I heard a small kitten meowing outside of my house, in the back yard. I went outside and hunted it down, and it is a VERY young kitten, umbilical cord was still attached when I found her, so only a few days old. It appears she was abandoned, or perhaps the mother rejected her? I'm not positive, but I couldn't leave her outside to wait and see if the mother was perhaps relocating a litter. It took me about 45 minutes to find her underneath the shed, and as I live in Tennessee, it is sweltering hot at this time of year and very humid. I didn't think she would be able to last without dehydrating out there.

So, I brought her in and started feeding her diluted KMR to begin with, in very small amounts every hour to two hours, depending on when she stirred, and last night / this morning began feeding her almost 'full strength' KMR, which is to say, much less diluted.

However, I have noticed that her stomach seems very round. It is quite rotund, and very firm to the touch. It also seems that area is very dark and reddish, though I am not certain if it was that color to begin with, seeing as how this new problem is what brought my notice to her stomach.

I cannot afford to take her to the vet. I have multiple animals that I get by with taking to their yearly check ups and keeping them healthy through exercise and nutrition, and Care Credit has helped a lot, but seeing as how my calico had her tail maimed when she snuck out the last month, and had to have it amputated, that is maxed out for the moment, until I pay it off. And I have called multiple shelters, but they informed me they would euthanize her immediately, as it would be too much trouble to tend to such a small kitten with so many other animals to take care of.

But I don't think it's too much trouble, and I'd like to help her if I could. Does anyone have any advice on what this is, or how to ease it?

Are you "helping" the kitten to pee and poop? Babies that young need to have their bottoms stimulated (usually the momcat does this by licking) in order for the baby to eliminate waste. If you haven't done so already, just gently wipe that area with a cotton ball or soft cloth. That should make the little one do its thing. If you haven't been doing this, start doing so right away. That could be the cause of the belly bulge.

Quote Originally Posted by dehlers43 View Post
    Are you "helping" the kitten to pee and poop? Babies that young need to have their bottoms stimulated (usually the momcat does this by licking) in order for the baby to eliminate waste. If you haven't done so already, just gently wipe that area with a cotton ball or soft cloth. That should make the little one do its thing. If you haven't been doing this, start doing so right away. That could be the cause of the belly bulge.
    Yes, that's what I was going to say, too. Also, even if you can't afford vet care for the kitten right now, call your vet and ask for advice as to how much KMR to feed it and how often. Your vet can also advise you as to anything else that you might not think of. Mine told me to put a clock underneath a blanket so that the kitten could hear the ticking, y'know, the kind that you must manually wind. It reminded it of its mother and helped it to thrive. Good luck w/this attempt at saving a life. You're doing great and bless you for not turning your back on the little orphan. Please keep us posted and maybe a pic or two? Prayers are going up right now that you'll be successful w/the wee one.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I had been wiping her bottom with unscented, no additive baby wipes- what I had on hand. But when I tried a cloth instead, it seemed to help. She went to the bathroom quite a bit in one sitting!

I think perhaps the wipes just weren't... substantial enough, maybe? And didn't remind her of a tongue. I've started using very soft wash cloths on her and she seems to be doing well. She is much less agitated and sleeps more restfully. She still prefers my lap to her blanket lined box, though.

I don't want to disturb her, but maybe when she wakes up, I'll take some pictures of her to post.

However, while her belly isn't hard to the touch anymore, it is still quite round. Is this normal for a kitten?

Quote Originally Posted by kittykittyagogo View Post
    I had been wiping her bottom with unscented, no additive baby wipes- what I had on hand. But when I tried a cloth instead, it seemed to help. She went to the bathroom quite a bit in one sitting!

I think perhaps the wipes just weren't... substantial enough, maybe? And didn't remind her of a tongue. I've started using very soft wash cloths on her and she seems to be doing well. She is much less agitated and sleeps more restfully. She still prefers my lap to her blanket lined box, though.

I don't want to disturb her, but maybe when she wakes up, I'll take some pictures of her to post.

However, while her belly isn't hard to the touch anymore, it is still quite round. Is this normal for a kitten?
    Do her stools look normal? She's such a small baby, I hope she's okay! I am sure she is much more comfortable now, in any case!
    I've Been Frosted

I always used a moist cotton ball for potty duty, especially for really really young ones. Worked pretty well for me. I always made them go after each feeding.

Round belly even before feeding?

I'm not positive what newborn stools are supposed to look like. They are kind of a yellowy-brown. Very soft. I didn't think this seemed like it should be abnormal, because all she has for food is formula. I should have researched it, I imagine.

Round belly before feeding, yes. Although it's size is beginning to diminish since she's been using the restroom with the washing of her bottom after every meal.

Update:

She woke up, and her stomach is hard again. I tried to make her use the restroom by rubbing her bottom- no go. I fed her a little bit because she was crying for her bottle and sucking on my fingers, and then I tried rubbing her bottom again.

She still won't go to the bathroom.

She went to the bathroom last feeding, and she did pee when I rubbed her bottom this time around. Does she need to use the bathroom every time?

Also, pictures. Sorry they're blurry, I was trying to minimize her upset as much as possible. And I know the last one looks uncomfortable for her, but I held her like that only a few seconds. I was trying to get a picture of her belly.

And what am I doing wrong when I try to get her to use the restroom? I gently stroke her behind with a soft cloth, and sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1127.JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	418.1 KB 
ID:	42962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1126.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	350.2 KB 
ID:	42963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM1125.JPG 
Views:	2204 
Size:	401.3 KB 
ID:	42964  

Also, forgot to mention.

She's still crying. I'm not sure if she's hungry, or if I should even give her more food...

Lol, sorry about all the minute to minute updates, but I thought this might be worth sharing:

I think she was crying because she was cold. I snuggled her up and she quit crying and squirming around. Still no bowel movements and hard tummy though.

Make sure you are stroking in the direction you want things to move! It does take kittens' systems some time to learn all this on their own.

Don't you feel like a new mommy, posting every little detail? That's okay - that is what we are here for. Poor little thing, she's soooo tiny! That you saved her life is a certainty.
    I've Been Frosted

We're "helping" our Pretty Mama with her litter, and they are just shy of 2 weeks. There are 4 of them, Pretty Mama has had some health issues, and we have been doing some feeding, cleaning and pooping. Here are a few things we've found that have worked for us:

Test the formula temp before feeding and make sure the formula is a little warmer than your skin. I like to use my wrist to check.

Remember to burp the baby after feeding; just like a human baby.

We have had good results with moist cotton balls for stimulating the baby to potty; don't be afraid to put a little pressure behind it, just not too much.

We also like to wipe the face and eyes with moist and dry cotton balls after feeding.

When you can't hold the baby, but her in a box with a heating pad(set on low) under half of it; if baby gets too hot it can move away.

Here are a couple of links to articles that we have found very helpful:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/orphaned-kitten/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/cats/orphane...eds/page1.aspx

Good luck and God bless
    Too many pets? What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by freckledimple View Post
    We're "helping" our Pretty Mama with her litter, and they are just shy of 2 weeks. There are 4 of them, Pretty Mama has had some health issues, and we have been doing some feeding, cleaning and pooping. Here are a few things we've found that have worked for us:

Test the formula temp before feeding and make sure the formula is a little warmer than your skin. I like to use my wrist to check.

Remember to burp the baby after feeding; just like a human baby.

We have had good results with moist cotton balls for stimulating the baby to potty; don't be afraid to put a little pressure behind it, just not too much.

We also like to wipe the face and eyes with moist and dry cotton balls after feeding.

When you can't hold the baby, but her in a box with a heating pad(set on low) under half of it; if baby gets too hot it can move away.

Here are a couple of links to articles that we have found very helpful:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/orphaned-kitten/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/cats/orphane...eds/page1.aspx

Good luck and God bless
    Thank you for the advice!

Also, I love your signature. I have 3 cats and 2 dogs, all of them taken from homes that didn't want them anymore, or strays that we picked up. I just can't turn away an animal in need. People think I'm crazy, but I think turning away from an animal that will die without help, is just like turning away from a human baby that will die without help!

Thank you all so much for your help. Baby kitty- named Miracle- is still seeming constipated, but I'm still trying with her. I just keep getting the sensation I'm doing something wrong when I rub her bottom and she still doesn't potty...

I really hope this kitten thrives for you. You are doing a very good job with her. You really should try the moist cotton ball, and it should be warm, not hot, not cold, just warm. Good luck and please keep us posted.

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

WE HAVE POO POO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I'm just so happy and relieved about it. It was so much coming from such a little kitten, but all of y'all's help and advice really came through in the end!

She seems relieved, too! She went potty, drank a little watered down KMR (hadn't been giving her the straight stuff since she became constipated) and fell asleep on her blankie!