Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Firearm in Every Home.

A Firearm in Every Home.

Part of my sig was questioned not to long ago.

There are over five hundred and fifty million firearms in worldwide circulation. Thats one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is, how do we arm the other eleven.
    The USA cant arm the entire world population, but we can arm, train and make USA citizens more comfortable with firearm ownership.

Starting in the 1st grade, students get firearm safety training. Not firearms training, just safety, the hands on stuff would come in the higher grades. Safe handling and markmanship would be part of the overall GPA from 1st to high school graduation.

If you want a private business lisence you must pass a basic firearms safety and marksmanship course. If you want a home mortgage, you must pass a basic firearms safety and marksmanship course. Property management companies can require or not require the firearms safety and marksmanship training for those who rent from them. I wouldnt tie this onto a drivers lisence.

While I would like firearms to be cheaper for the general public to own, I cant see a constitutional way to make that happen, but by relaxing certain laws and regulations prices can drop. We could even add a free handgun to the purchase of every home, and a handgun included with every rented appartment, condo, and house.

Concealed carry wouldnt be madatory but it wouldnt require a lisence for any home owner, business owner, renter, college student, or anybody over the age of 18. CCW would be legal on all school grounds, unless privately owned.
    Last edited by blue; 05-02-2009 at 12:47 AM.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Concerning USA charitable groups overseas, if they give food, funds or housing in any way, they would be obligated to provide firearms training and firearms along with the goods, training, and services they currently provide. Ammunition would also be required with all other humanitarian goods provided.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

All current restrictions for firearm ownership would still apply in the USA. If you cant vote, you cant own a firearm. If you have been convicted of a sex crime or domestic abuse, you cant own a firearm.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post

Quote:
    There are over five hundred and fifty million firearms in worldwide circulation.
    Thats one firearm for every twelve people on the planet.
    The only question is, how do we arm the other eleven.

.... we can arm, train and make USA citizens more comfortable with firearm ownership.

If you want a private business lisence ...
    If you want a home mortgage ...
    you must pass a basic firearms safety and marksmanship course.

We could even add a free handgun to the purchase of every home,
    and a handgun included with every rented appartment, condo, and house.

Concealed carry wouldn't be mandatory,
    but it wouldn't require a lisence
    for any home owner, business owner, renter, college student, or anybody over the age of 18.
    CCW would be legal on all school grounds, unless privately owned.
    And this new program to require folks to Pack Heat will do what for
    the average citizen?

What size canon are you suggesting - .22, .357, .45 cal? Full Auto?

Hey - canon - good idea ...
    How about a 5" gun mounted on my front steps ... In case I feel 'threatened'.

Will I get a free Body Armor Vest with my government issued peace-keeper?

Can I just *pass* on this New Deal?

Quote:
    Originally Credited to one John Adams:
    Remember, democracy never lasts long.
    It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself.
    There was never a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.

We could even add a free handgun to the purchase of every home, and a handgun included with every rented appartment, condo, and house.

Concealed carry wouldnt be madatory but it wouldnt require a lisence for any home owner, business owner, renter, college student, or anybody over the age of 18. CCW would be legal on all school grounds, unless privately owned.
    You must be joking!!! Or is this how you'd plan to bring down the population of the world?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Please guys...don't feed the trolls. It only encourages them.

So you think we should teach everyone in the world to use a gun? And everyone should have a gun? How about those with mental disorders? They may not of done anything yet, but if someone is developing some form of mental health issue and they get a gun....?

And we do not need any more kids thinking guns and violence is cool thank you very much. Yes you are teaching them saftey but how much are 1st graders really going to take in? The main message you are teaching them is guns are ok.

As if people don't feel vunerable enough in this day and age out in the city! Yes they would have there own gun but thats no help when you are dead. A few seconds is all it takes, how the hell is someone meant to defend themselves in that time?

It's awful even thinking of getting charities to hand out guns! Charities are meant to protect and help people, not turn them into killers, or allow more people to be hurt by these nasty guns.

I say tax on owning a gun should be increased everytime someone is shot. Enough people are killed as it is, do you really think giving more people guns is going to help that?!? End of.
    -Ellie

'If everyone else's opinion is what matters, then do you ever really have one of your own?'- Jodi Picoult, Nineteen Minutes

Come on people, you know that Blue KNOWS this topic is going to, well lets just say, "Hit the fan." Don't give him the satisfaction of sitting back and reading how everyone is going to get riled up over this. No matter how wrong this thread is to us all, it is his opinion and as far as I'm concerned, the only one with this opinion. As hard as it is to some, lets just leave him to his opinion and don't act on it.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by rg_girlca View Post
    Come on people, you know that Blue KNOWS this topic is going to, well lets just say, "Hit the fan." Don't give him the satisfaction of sitting back and reading how everyone is going to get riled up over this. No matter how wrong this thread is to us all, it is his opinion and as far as I'm concerned, the only one with this opinion. As hard as it is to some, lets just leave him to his opinion and don't act on it.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.....
    Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

What are we going to do with those who refuse to arm themselves?
    Do we get to shoot them?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I think we should arm people with grumpy little dogs instead. You can carry them around in little holsters and everything (just in case). Start training people early on how to raise and train their own family protection. I can see it now...."you'll get your own chihuahua when you're old enough little Timmy. In the meantime, we're gonna teach you how to use it properly. First off.... never tell your yappy little dog to attack anyone unless you are sure they're a bad guy".
    [/sarcasm]
    honestly if eveyone had a gun, it would just come down to whoever could shoot first. Bad guy wouldn't have any reason not to shoot you on sight if they knew you were willing and able shoot back if you saw them first.

Ooooh, I love it! Let's force everyone to own and use an item, whether they like it or not! That's true democracy at work, there.

While we're at it, let's force everyone to own and ride a motorcycle. Or own a green iguana. I personally think requiring ownership and skills in use of hand grenades and Arabian horses would be a great pre-requisite to buying prom tickets.

Brilliant!! I'm sure it's just what the founding fathers had in mind when they wrote the constitution.

(Caveat: I own and know how to use firearms.)
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    Ooooh, I love it! Let's force everyone to own and use an item, whether they like it or not! That's true democracy at work, there.

While we're at it, let's force everyone to own and ride a motorcycle. Or own a green iguana. I personally think requiring ownership and skills in use of hand grenades and Arabian horses would be a great pre-requisite to buying prom tickets.

Brilliant!! I'm sure it's just what the founding fathers had in mind when they wrote the constitution.

HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa! Love your post!

I was the person (or perhaps there were others) that PM'd blue a while back and asked how such a thing could be practical. Not everyone could carry arms - training is needed, and not all people have the aptitude or the ability. Some could not hit the broad side of a barn, and there would be others with physical, emotional or mental limitations.

Nowhere in blue's posts here did I see the word "EVERYONE". Other posters added that.

Whether I agree with the proposal or not is irrelevant - blue has plainly given this some thought and has proposed under what conditions arming citizens might be accomplished.

Okay, maybe some of this, or even all, would not work. The type of arms carried would have to be regulated - and law-abiding citizens would abide by that. (Yes, it's still the crooks that cause the trouble).

If, as blue suggests, you had been educated in firearm SAFETY (not USE) since the first grade, would you feel more at ease with this?

Is there anything here that anyone sees as workable, or has suggestions for improvement aside from calling blue a troll, and the stuff hitting the fan?

Firearm ownership is a contentious issue in Canada also - and is far too serious a subject to be derided and dismissed as I see being done here.

JMHO
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    And this new program to require folks to Pack Heat will do what for
    the average citizen?
    No, citizens would not be required to "Pack Heat". Simply be trained in firearm safety and usage.

What size canon are you suggesting - .22, .357, .45 cal? Full Auto?
    There is no one size fits all. I can handle a .45 and even the .50 BMG rifles, they arent for everybody.

Hey - canon - good idea ...
    How about a 5" gun mounted on my front steps ... In case I feel 'threatened'.
    Why a 5"? Why not build a bowling ball cannon and call it good?

"Threatened".

Also depending on the ordinance used your "cannon" could be classified as a destructive device and not legal.

Will I get a free Body Armor Vest with my government issued peace-keeper?
    No. You will not be issued any firearms, only trained to safely use them. To my knowledge Body Armour currently used by Police and military are not legal for civilians to own.

Can I just *pass* on this New Deal?
    You could certainly "pass" on owning a fire arm, but you would still be trained to safely handle and operate a variety of firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    You must be joking!!! Or is this how you'd plan to bring down the population of the world?
    How would this bring down the population of the world? And no Im not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Please guys...don't feed the trolls. It only encourages them.
    I was asked a question and I responded. You on the other hand never miss a chance to be insulting and added nothing of value to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisk_Luva View Post
    So you think we should teach everyone in the world to use a gun? And everyone should have a gun? How about those with mental disorders? They may not of done anything yet, but if someone is developing some form of mental health issue and they get a gun....?
    Yes everybody should know how to safely use a firearm, even those with mental disorders. Obviously if you have a mental disorder you should not be allowed to own or be in unsupervised posession of a firearm.

And we do not need any more kids thinking guns and violence is cool thank you very much. Yes you are teaching them saftey but how much are 1st graders really going to take in? The main message you are teaching them is guns are ok.
    Part of the problem is people are teaching kids that firearms equal violence, and that firearms cause violence. We need to be teaching kids younger then 1rst graders that firearms are not toys and to respect the damage they can do. Kids are taught not to play with knives, matches, lighters, etc, etc, before the first grade and most kids take it in quite readily. The main message everybody needs to learn is guns are OK and they need to be respected and handled accordingly.

As if people don't feel vunerable enough in this day and age out in the city! Yes they would have there own gun but thats no help when you are dead. A few seconds is all it takes, how the hell is someone meant to defend themselves in that time?
    So people are better off defenseless is your argument?

It's awful even thinking of getting charities to hand out guns! Charities are meant to protect and help people, not turn them into killers, or allow more people to be hurt by these nasty guns.
    Yes, its better to let the people recieving aid, food, and medical supplies be able to defend it. Arming them dosent turn them into killers it lets them defend themselves against those who will kill them for the goods they recieved. Giving them food and medical supplies only to turn them around and let others kill them is not charity.

I say tax on owning a gun should be increased everytime someone is shot. Enough people are killed as it is, do you really think giving more people guns is going to help that?!? End of.
    Yes I do. Legal gun owners do a small minority of unjustified killings. Making it harder for people to legaly own firearms only makes for more victims and increases crime in general.

Quote Originally Posted by rg_girlca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself.....
    Thanks!
    Again, I was asked a question this is my response. I was hoping for a calm, rational discussion but that may have been wishfull thinking on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    What are we going to do with those who refuse to arm themselves?
    Do we get to shoot them?
    Nothing, this isnt Switzerland, or Israel. Thank you for taking this seriously, .

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    I think we should arm people with grumpy little dogs instead. You can carry them around in little holsters and everything (just in case). Start training people early on how to raise and train their own family protection. I can see it now...."you'll get your own chihuahua when you're old enough little Timmy. In the meantime, we're gonna teach you how to use it properly. First off.... never tell your yappy little dog to attack anyone unless you are sure they're a bad guy".
    [/sarcasm]
    Maybe issue an Adam West cat launcher?

honestly if eveyone had a gun, it would just come down to whoever could shoot first. Bad guy wouldn't have any reason not to shoot you on sight if they knew you were willing and able shoot back if you saw them first.
    Bad example. The bad guy would in turn be detained by a legal gun owner trained for such situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post

Nowhere did I say citizens would be forced to own or use a firearm, only that they would be trained to safely handle firearms. And I believe the Founders had this very thing in mind, an armed populace.

So your point is what, exactly? To take what I wrote out of context for the amusment of those who are scared of firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by beeniesmom View Post
    HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa! Love your post!
    Not saying your afraid of firearms but just maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I was the person (or perhaps there were others) that PM'd blue a while back and asked how such a thing could be practical. Not everyone could carry arms - training is needed, and not all people have the aptitude or the ability. Some could not hit the broad side of a barn, and there would be others with physical, emotional or mental limitations.
    It was a post from you that I am responding to.

Nowhere in blue's posts here did I see the word "EVERYONE". Other posters added that.

Whether I agree with the proposal or not is irrelevant - blue has plainly given this some thought and has proposed under what conditions arming citizens might be accomplished.

Okay, maybe some of this, or even all, would not work. The type of arms carried would have to be regulated - and law-abiding citizens would abide by that. (Yes, it's still the crooks that cause the trouble).

If, as blue suggests, you had been educated in firearm SAFETY (not USE) since the first grade, would you feel more at ease with this?

Is there anything here that anyone sees as workable, or has suggestions for improvement aside from calling blue a troll, and the stuff hitting the fan?

Firearm ownership is a contentious issue in Canada also - and is far too serious a subject to be derided and dismissed as I see being done here.

JMHO
    Thank you.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.