Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filly DOWN in Kentucky Derby

Filly DOWN in Kentucky Derby

Eight Belles, the only filly in the Kentucky Derby, is dead.

She broke both ankles and was euthanized at the track.

RIP Eight Belles :[

Last edited by JuniorxMyxLove; 05-03-2008 at 07:01 PM.
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

I swear, I'll never watch another horse race. First Barbaro, now Eight Belles.

How incredibly sad.

RIP beautiful one. What a sad thing to happen.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Oh NO! RIP, sweet one.

This is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I can't stop thinking about it I turned the tv off and went into a mourning period.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I stopped a few minutes just to catch the race on TV. I was just heartbroken to hear how she had collapsed on the track. While they when
    on talking about the winner, I kept saying," What about the filly"? What a
    sad, sad thing to happen. She was of of the favorites to win & was the
    closest competitor to the eventual winner.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    talking about the winner, I kept saying," What about the filly"? What a
    sad, sad thing to happen. She was of of the favorites to win & was the
    closest competitor to the eventual winner.
    I know, me too.

Even my dad was yelling at the TV wanting to know what happened to 'that horse' My mom was pretty shaken up about it.

It seems like most of racing's best horses dies young. Ruffian, Barbaro, and now Eight Belles.
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

I heard about that! I'm just glad I didn't see that happen. How unfortunate.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I completely forgot the Kentucky Derby was today. I got home at about 6:30, so fortunately I did not see it. How very very sad. She was such a pretty girl.

I just saw this on the news and I am heartbroken. I really hate horse racing.

RIP sweet girl. You were a stunny filly.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I hate horseracing too. Poor, poor girl. Run free Eight Belles.

I've been Boooo'd!

Horse racing absolutely makes my blood boil I cannot believe in a country where we've banned dog fighting and even fighting roosters, we still haven't banned horse racing. Running those young horses like that is absolutely cruelty in my mind. Its sick sick sick. And those ridiculous rich people in stupid ugly huge hats that watch the races. Those people that are supposed to be educated. I can't begin to word all the horrible things I wish on these people. They think they have class. I'll give them class. And the Clinton daughter was there waving to the crowd like the smiling buffoon she is. I sure as heck am not voting for a female Clinton anytime in the future, near or far. Grr, horse racing
    Last edited by IRescue452; 05-04-2008 at 09:50 AM.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Ugh. I am sick to my stomach.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Race horses are treated better than the jockeys.

Matter of fact, when a jockey 'breaks down' they don't have the luxury of being euthanized.

I saw a couple of documentaries on racing and was shocked at the treatment of the men that ride the horses. Check out the money a jockey makes for a win- I cannot remember the exact amount one Derby jockey got for a win-but it wasn't anywhere near a race purse.

First of all, I am not a betting man. I have been to the track twice and stood at the finish line for a few races. There is nothing more wonderous than seeing and hearing a pack of horses run. I am very interested in anatomy and find that part of horse racing extremely interesting- to me any running animal is stunning.

-----------

I am not a huge fan of horses being used for anything except pulling the Bud wagon- THOSE horses are incredible and spoiled!!!!

I find the horse rides in New York, farms that let horse pull wagons of visitors or animals that are couped up all week until some kid comes out to ride on the weekend as being treated cruelly.

Race horses are so frigging cared for it's not funny.

No, that does not excuse anyone riding a horse into the ground for sport-but when I have seen some of ways people care for their run of the mill horses, I'd rather see a horse be taken and raced at a track. Imagine that. Having the best stall, food, medical treatment, exercise and grooming.

I live near Hansen Dam/Lake View Terrace and the Griffith Park stables-both are horse areas-when my brother was working with horses I saw many people who woiuld punch, whip, kick and mistreat those poor animals way worse than running them on a track.

It wasn't a noble end to that horse's life, but there are far worse cases of animals being beaten, totured and killed. I am sure that there are many horses put down on race tracks all across the world- but our outrage is piqued only when it's on the tube.

One thing that can be said about the race were the people who were really concerned about that horse. The people who were freaking out about the Eight Belles are the same ones who would drive down a street and not even bother to help a human being that was lying on a public road.