Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Update on Kirby/Woody...

Update on Kirby/Woody...

With a heavy heart, but a happier heart for Woody, and must tell you all that Woody has gone to new home within the last week.

I have been working my FT job and also my partime job after work, and Woody was alone for the majority of the day, and very unhappy.

Although I spent a large amount of time with him after work, but it didn't seem to be enough, and he missed playing with other doggies.

He was so excited to be with other dogs outside, and was depressed inside because none of the cats wanted to play with him. I didn't think there would be a big issue between them, but he was very hyperactive and played rough.

I found a home for him with friends of mine who live by Beltzville Dam. They have a 1acre fenced yard, a 3-5 year old min pin, Paco, for him to play with, and the couple is home most of the day.

The husband is retired and take the dogs everywhere with him, and the wife is a part time beautician at old folks homes. And she can take him there with her to entertain the old people, along with her Min Pin who already goes for visits.

What I know is that I miss him dearly, but that for his own good, his own happiness, this was in his best interest.

He went with a billion and one toys, the cat beds he coveted a little too fondly, and all his stuffies and his bedding. He is spoiled rotten, and I have pictures from them to prove it.. so hang in there and I'll get them posted. The husband had just been mentioning to his wife (who the min pin is bonded with) that the next dog he gets was going to be a hound... so when I heard that, and knew Woody needed an environment like theirs, I knew Hank had to meet Woody. And, like everyone he met, Woody charmed the pants off him, lol. It was love at first sight of those big old ears, and that bow legged walk of his, and of course his talkative nature. That boy can hold a conversation with the best of the chatty dogs!

I know this wasn't what was anticipated for Woody when he came here, but he's got a better place, a happier place than if he had stayed with me and I had been selfish. It just wouldn't have been fair to that sweetie.

He now has another new name.... They are calling him FRED (like Fred Basset in the comic strip), but I think there's just something about him that has more of a PHRED about him.... lol.

I'll be able to keep up with him through emails and with visits. My dad sees Hank about 3-4 times a week, so I'll get updates plenty!

I'm hoping no one is upset. I made sure his shots were all updated, and he had his first set of Frontline Plus and HeartGuard. I told the family I'd gladly pay for his neutering as well. His huge bag of Nutro puppy food went with him, and all of his toys and his crate.

Maybe sometime down the line, when I have more time, and I'm thinking a summer time deal when I'm out of work, I'll look in to rescuing an older dog, but one from the Philly area, and that way we can save a PA dog as well. K9Karen said she'd come with and help me with that as well!

Hope everyone is ok with what has been decided. I didn't think sending him back to Leslie to be given to a pound was the correct answer, so finding a perfect home for him as soon as I could when I realized it wasn't going to make him happy here, I think I did the best I could.
    Last edited by jennielynn1970; 02-16-2008 at 02:14 AM.

Here are some pics of FRED and his new brother PACO, as well as his human brother's dog (a boston bull).

Fred or Phred ~ I'm flattered (even though Hank never heard of me).

Glad the Boy seems HAPPIE - and he's sure *smiling* in the pictures.
    Any chance New Mom & Dad have a 'puter - and would like to become Pet Talkers?

Ya did GOOD, Jenn!

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    Fred or Phred ~ I'm flattered (even though Hank never heard of me).

Glad the Boy seems HAPPIE - and he's sure *smiling* in the pictures.
    Any chance New Mom & Dad have a 'puter - and would like to become Pet Talkers?

Ya did GOOD, Jenn!
    They have a computer, not sure how avid they are about using it, but I can mention it!! Otherwise I'll just update when they email me.

Jenn you did a wonderful thing for that precious boy. What a completely selfless act. You should be completely proud of yourself for making sure his happiness came before your own. I think you did the right thing.

well it may not have been what 'we' had in mind but I have a feeling there was a Bigger plan in the mix when you fell for Woody/Kirby/Fred/Phred.
    things happen for a reason
    there was nothing selfless in what you did in finding him the perfect home!
    you are right it would have been SELFISH for you too keep him if he was miserable. you're friends might not be Pet Talker's (yet) but it sounds like they are the next best thing!
    he's adorable!
    and you are right - maybe this summer you can find a nice more sedate - older dog that will fit in perfectly!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom
    well it may not have been what 'we' had in mind but I have a feeling there was a Bigger plan in the mix when you fell for Woody/Kirby/Fred/Phred. things happen for a reason
    I believe that too. Fred/Phred has bounced around a little but has been in loving homes all the way. It looks like he has found his final destination and there will be lots of love there as well. Don't forget to update us with pictures as you get them. The ones you posted are very cute.

Finding the best home makes such sense to me!

Jenn, I agree that if it wasn't working out, then the best change would be a new home. And you found the best home, for sure. Fred will have lots of attention and fur buddies to play with ALL DAY. I want that for all dogs and cats. I am sure he will be much happier. You made the right choice. AND you get to have continual uppie dates!

Good job.

Sas and her campers

I'm not trying to sound like a spoil sport or anything but did you not realize before you got him and he got flown half way across the country and bounced all around that you didn't have the time for him? I know right now I wouldn't have time for a puppy let alone a hound puppy. Ok off my soap box. I'm very happy he found a good home finally with someone with lots of attention to give and other dogs! I love the boston terrier.

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

apparently she didn't realize it -

I'm single- work full time- live 30 miles from my family.
    When Keegan was a puppy I was single- worked full time and lived 30 miles from my family. I wasn't as close to my neighbors then as I am now. She was such a handful as a puppy that there were times I wondered if I should find her another home. But I stuck with it - she didn't miss the company of dogs like Fred did, she just had pent up energy. She still prefers people to dogs.
    But I myself wouldn't change a thing in my life.
    I'm sure the people that donated and helped him get to PA are just glad he's happy.
    Let us remember - until we walk a mile in someone's shoes, we don't know what their life is like.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Jenn, as I stated earlier, I feel this decision was selfless and for the best interest of Woody. I must say, that boy has been threw a record amount of names! Haha, Fred seems like a good name, although I'll always see him as Woody.

I know this was a hard choice for you. I know it hurt, it hurt for me to part with him too. He's a lot of dog because he's a puppy, but what a loving nature he's got. He's going to be a great, loyal, affectionate dog when he's out of his puppy stage.

Please know that there are no hard feelings on my part. I'm happy that he's happy. His happiness is all that matters, really. He LOVED, LOVED, LOVED my two dogs while he was with me. And because he was so affectionate with people, it's nice that he has a home with folks who are home most of the day. That boy is VERY affectionate, and I know he's happy in his new home.

On a different note, I'm so sorry I haven't posted any photos of Quinn in her new outfits. I promise I haven't forgotten. She's worn them, but I just haven't gotten around to taking her photos in them yet. I really will get them soon, I promise

Quote Originally Posted by 3muttsandaboston
    I'm not trying to sound like a spoil sport or anything but did you not realize before you got him and he got flown half way across the country and bounced all around that you didn't have the time for him? I know right now I wouldn't have time for a puppy let alone a hound puppy. Ok off my soap box. I'm very happy he found a good home finally with someone with lots of attention to give and other dogs! I love the boston terrier.

I didn't really follow the whole Woody transfer thing everyday but I have to admit that after reading your thread jen, sadly my first thought was the same as above.

However, from what you wrote, I'm sure Woody will be happier now. I know puppies need and want a lot of attention and get destructive if they don't get it. Beenie was such a crazy and destructive puppy that I was forced to tell my boss to choose: for me to quit or 2) for me to bring her with me.
    It was cheaper for me to lose my job than to fix the house every time she chewed a wall or piece of furniture. Fortunately I got to bring her to work with me for about 6 months until she got out of the chew stage.

Now as long as I walk her twice a day (morning and night), that wears her out enough that she sleeps and is quiet all day when I leave her home.

Sorry you are having to go through this scrutiny now. I still admire you for trying and wanting to take on a the huge responsibility of a new pupper, even thought it didn't go the "way" originally intended. hugs

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    That's our boy!

Way back when, I wondered if you were biting off more than you could handle. But the important thing is - it all worked out in the end. Fred is in a wonderful home, and just look at the places he has gone, and the people he has met in his short life!!

Everyone involved has done good

I think it takes a lot of courage to say "this might have been a mistake".........and then be able to find a good home for Woody/Kirby/Phred/Fred.

A huge fenced in yard.
    A buddy to play with all day.
    Humans who will love him.
    People who are home all day.

And nine cats who have sighed a sigh of relief!

It should be all about our pets............not us

And they lived happily ever after