Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh my goodness, I just did it!

Oh my goodness, I just did it!

A PTer PMed me and asked how Miss Nicki is doing. The answer: not good. I doubt she'll make it through the winter, poor girl is so sore and painful these days.

After speaking with the PTer via PM, I decided to check out petfinder. and I fell totally in love with Millie, an English Spaniel. I texted hubby who answered back that its my decision because he doesn't want to make Nicki upset. So I decided to fill out the application on Millie. I clicked "send" and realized I can't go back now.
    Last edited by catnapper; 01-29-2008 at 02:02 PM.

I think you should not find a replacement for Nicki, let her live out her life then start looking. She has a right to peace in her final days and who knows she may have a year or more left.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    I think you should not find a replacement for Nicki, let her live out her life then start looking. She has a right to peace in her final days and who knows she may have a year or more left.
    She doesn't have much time left at all... I'm thinking she might not make it til Easter. She's been falling down the steps. Can't get into bed. She won't let me touch her. She's in constant pain. There are days where I think she can't even move to get off her bed. She begs to go outside a hundred times day and has been drinking LOTS of water. She also misses Cameron a LOT.

What does her vet think is wrong with her?

I have been frosted!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    She doesn't have much time left at all... I'm thinking she might not make it til Easter. She's been falling down the steps. Can't get into bed. She won't let me touch her. She's in constant pain. There are days where I think she can't even move to get off her bed. She begs to go outside a hundred times day and has been drinking LOTS of water. She also misses Cameron a LOT.

What does your Vet say about Nicki ? can't she have some relief from
    her "constant pain" ? Poor girl.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

There's nothing we can do for her. She's not responding to the meds the vet gave her a while ago. She's just old. Its close to her time.

I have seen this a few times on pettalk where people start looking around when a dog gets old, I don't mean to judge but it just seems kind of callous. Maybe I have a hard time relating, casey is my heart dog and she will be eight this year and that alone stresses me out, I can't imagine life without her and if her time was near she would be my only focus.

I have been frosted!

Only you know your dog... but if I were in your place I'd give 110% of my time, money and energy to Nicki and making sure that I'm doing all I can for her until the end, it can't be good that she's in constent pain.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

A PTer PMed me and asked how Miss Nicki is doing. The answer: not good. I doubt she'll make it through the winter, poor girl is so sore and painful these days.
    There's nothing we can do for her. She's not responding to the meds the vet gave her a while ago. She's just old. Its close to her time.
    What meds did your vet give her? How long is 'a while ago'?

Sometimes just one or two times of trying meds isn't always enough. Sometimes things need a change in meds, or increasing dosages.

Drinking lots of water can be either kidneys or diabetes, both of which do have some meds/treatments that will help, although not totally cure anything but at least make the dog feel better with what time is left.

There are LOTS of different pain medications that are designed to help older dogs. Just because one didn't work doesn't mean that other ones won't.

If the dog isn't allowing you to touch her, is falling down, and drinking enough water to need letting out that many times a day it needs to be addressed by the vet. Being in that much pain is no way for a dog to spend it's last days and not a way you want to remember your dog's last days either.

I honestly think it would be worth it to visit the vet again and see if there are other options with the medications, especially since it's been 'a while' and the dog is in obvious pain now.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Thank you all for the guilt trip. Do you think I took this step lightly? Seriously!

First off, Nicki HAS seen the vet numerous times for this. She has been on several meds. Adjusted dosages many times over. The newest med was from July and worked a while. Then had to be increased. Its not working at all and hasn't been for a while. The vet said if this one didn't work then there wasn't anything more we can do. I cover her every night because the heat from a blanket helps. Her bed is right by a heater. I am doing all I can for her. She's as comfortable as I can make her.

Drinking: the vet said at her advanced age there is nothing we could do if it was diabetes of kidneys, etc anyway, except prolong her life by a few days or week. I'm not able to spend a lot of money on testing for a 13 year old dog who had a 10 year life expectancy and my vet refuses to ALLOW me to spend money on tests that won't mean much in the long run.

Secondly, the adoption process with this rescue is known to take well over a month or two. Who's to say Nicki will still be here by then? Who's to say she won't accept the new dog?

Now thank you all again for making me feel like crap and ruining something that I was excited and SCARED about. Yes, I'm scared. Will Nicki hate her? I doubt it. She loves other dogs. I could take my neighbor's dog in my house and make her mine tomorrow and Nicki would be happier than she's ever been because she adores Gracie. They're great friends. I want her to have a friend before passing. I want her to know comfort and warmth of sleeping with a buddy on a cold night. I'm also praying it rejuvenates her and gives her back some puppiness if only for a little while.

Do you think I didn't weigh this over in my mind for the past few months? I found a dog I loved a few months ago and never acted on it because it didn't feel like the right time. I am VERY GOOD at following my instincts. My instincts are telling me this is a goodchoice for us.

Catnapper, I really don't think anyone here is trying to make you feel like crap. If they did, that really wasn't intention. I know what you are going through. Sassy is getting older and her arthritis may get worse..but for now she is fine. The meds seem to be working. She has her bad days, and her good days. Mostly good. Like Angie said though, you know your dog best. You will know when it's time to put Nicki to sleep. It is inevitable and will eventually happen.

But for now, CONGRATULATIONS on sending in the application. I love Springer Spaniels. Is there a picture of her on Petfinder? I'd love to see it.

Thank you all for the guilt trip. Do you think I took this step lightly? Seriously!

First off, Nicki HAS seen the vet numerous times for this. She has been on several meds. Adjusted dosages many times over. The newest med was from July and worked a while. Then had to be increased. Its not working at all and hasn't been for a while. The vet said if this one didn't work then there wasn't anything more we can do. I cover her every night because the heat from a blanket helps. Her bed is right by a heater. I am doing all I can for her. She's as comfortable as I can make her.

Drinking: the vet said at her advanced age there is nothing we could do if it was diabetes of kidneys, etc anyway, except prolong her life by a few days or week. I'm not able to spend a lot of money on testing for a 13 year old dog who had a 10 year life expectancy and my vet refuses to ALLOW me to spend money on tests that won't mean much in the long run.

Secondly, the adoption process with this rescue is known to take well over a month or two. Who's to say Nicki will still be here by then? Who's to say she won't accept the new dog?

Now thank you all again for making me feel like crap and ruining something that I was excited and SCARED about. Yes, I'm scared. Will Nicki hate her? I doubt it. She loves other dogs. I could take my neighbor's dog in my house and make her mine tomorrow and Nicki would be happier than she's ever been because she adores Gracie. They're great friends. I want her to have a friend before passing. I want her to know comfort and warmth of sleeping with a buddy on a cold night. I'm also praying it rejuvenates her and gives her back some puppiness if only for a little while.

Do you think I didn't weigh this over in my mind for the past few months? I found a dog I loved a few months ago and never acted on it because it didn't feel like the right time. I am VERY GOOD at following my instincts. My instincts are telling me this is a goodchoice for us.
    Sorry I was sort of surprised by your post, I know you are a very loving pet mom and it sort of took me aback. I just had not heard anything about nikki's health. I didn't mean to rain on your parade I know your going through hell and I am sure you deserve and could use some happiness, maybe a new happy pup is just what everyone needs, including nikki, sorry if I came across judgemental.

I have been frosted!

I must admit I was a little surprised at some of the responses. There are a couple of things for everyone to remember, catnapper is going through a rescue agency, and they will evaluate the situation and decide if this dog is a good fit for the family. Nicki will (I would hope) be part of that evaluation. While we all want Nicki to be happy and comfortable, applying for a new dog doesn't preclude that. However, I am sorry to hear that you don't feel it worthwhile to have more tests done to make her more comfortable or prolong her life. I am also sorry to hear that you have a vet that wouldn't allow addtional attempts at finding help for Nicki. Good luck to you, and I hope everything works out for the best. And I am sure we would all be happy to welcome Millie into the Pet Talk family if you should be selected as her new family.

If you feel what you’re doing is the best thing for Nicki then there’s no reason for you to feel guilty about anything you’re doing. (I know that statement sounds kind of “Reeeearrr” (B*tchy) but it’s not meant to ) I just mean you don’t have anything to feel guilty about if you know you’re doing the right thing.
    Does she still eat well? Does she appear to still enjoy life?
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I too thought some of the posts were uncalled for. Congrats on your decision. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. I know you are not "shopping" around for a replacement. Bringing a new dog in could very well bring new life to Nikki. Ramone sure has for Emily, I can tell you that much. She wrestles and plays with him like a puppy.

*Thanks Ashley*