View Poll Results: What would YOU do?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do not accept the cat. You can't help them ALL.

4 11.43%
  • Accept the cat and get dental work done.

21 60.00%
  • Accept the cat, get the ultrasound and then decide on the dental.

6 17.14%
  • Accept the cat and just try to keep him comfortable.

4 11.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma - opinions sought. *PICS ADDED*

Dilemma - opinions sought. *PICS ADDED*

A local humane society is asking One By One to take a 9 year old Himmy (or Persian). The cat has very BAD teeth and a grade 3 to 5 heart murmur.

Obviously this cat would go into foster care FOREVER, who would adopt him? But that is not the dilemma......

Without actually seeing the cat, I was curious what should be done.....

Should One by One PASS on this cat? We dont really have room for a permanent resident. When we pull cats from shelter we try to make sure they are adoptable.

IF One by One takes the cat, do we:

-Get a dental done and hope for the best? after all, if we don't take the cat it would probably die at the humane shelter. This would at least give him a chance.

-get an ultrasound first to get a better grasp on the heart condition? of course, if this was your beloved pet you would probably go this route, but I for one am trying to save One by One the expense because this is a cat we probably should NOT take.

-Leave the teeth alone and just hope for the best life possible?

I know that this is not a whole lot of info to go on, but I am in need of making a decision. So what might you do? (Place yourself in the position of the foster family)
    Last edited by jenluckenbach; 01-28-2008 at 01:39 PM.

Now I am going to answer my own question.

While I know that One by One should NOT accept this cat, I feel that if we DO take him that it would be worth the risk to have the dental work done with a minimal of tests. Just blood work.

I realize that going the route of the ultrasound would make it much safer for the cat, I would not want to tax our budget for the $300 it would take for an ultrasound on top of the price of the dental work. Not when there are SOOOOOO many more cats counting on that money for survival.

Please post your opinions after you vote. THANKS

(keep in mind, we may not be accepting this cat. There may be no foster home for him to live in.)

Jen, has the local shelter contacted a Himmy or Persian rescue organization about this guy? Is he in a no-kill shelter?

About the teeth ... Some of the Found Cats have had dental care in their double-digit years. I don't think that is as big a problem as a bad heart. What is the prognosis for this grade 3 to 5 murmur? In a human patient there is a big difference between grade 3 and grade 5 and I wonder if that is also true of a cat.

I think he could still have good years with a permanent foster or a caring adopter unless his heart is very, very bad. If the vet doesn't want to do his dental care without an ultrasound, I can Paypal something toward that. Will wait for your decision.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh, he is in a HIGH kill shelter!

I know there is a difference in cats between a 3 and a 5, I just don't think we KNOW what the number is.

I am unsure about whether they contacted a persian rescue.

And my specific question is whether ANESTHESIA is dangerous for a cat with a heart murmur. (I know that at age 9, he is not TOO old)

Oh, and I don't know what MY vet (the one who would do the dental) recommends yet, as this is all speculation since we don't have the cat yet.

You feel the cat would not be adoptable and would in foster home forever because . . . of age? Or because of the heart murmur?

Is the cat on any meds for the heart murmur just now? Any info if this is a life long heart murmur or an age related one?

This would be a special needs placement, I think. There ARE people to adopt them, it just takes a lot longer.

You can opt out of the ultrasound, and have the dental work done.

My Chaplin has a heart murmur; he is just 7 months old. I asked IF we get the ultrasound done, what difference will it make to you neutering him? He said they use a different anesthesia for cats with heart murmurs, and they won't keep the cat under as long. Well, just do it that way!

In the end, I took Chaplin to a not for profit clinic for a low cost neutering. I did not mention his heart murmur, and they never said or did anything differently. He was fine. Then I took him to another vet, who said he does still have the heart murmur.

A knowledgable vet will use the alternative anesthesia for the dental work, due to the heart murmur.

The bad teeth will only give rise to other health issues. Getting that taken care of makes this cat feel better, healthier now AND healthier in the long run.

If the cat stays in the shelter, what will happen? A few weeks and then euthanized? I don't see any reason for this cat to be PTS at this stage. I say take her!

Edit: I was typing when you and cassies mom posted the 2 items above me; that clarifies some of what I have in here.

At this point we do not know if his bad teeth has already caused other health problems. So we "assume" LOW adoptablility due to a combination of age and health. IF it turns ou that the heart murmur is high, his life might be short anyway.

I am also unsure how long the kill shelter will give him before putting him to sleep.

I don't have a lot of facts, that is why the decision is made harder.

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    Oh, he is in a HIGH kill shelter!
    I say take him, assuming you have the space. I agree with Freedom, no clear reason for the cat to be pts. Maybe a Persian or Himalayan rescue would help with either the housing or the veterinary expenses or both.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I'd also consider the quite real possibility that word will get out, and OBO will become a dumping ground for impossible-to-adopt cats (or at least you'd be faced with decisions like this much more often.)

Love, Columbine

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I voted to accept the cat and get the dental done.
    Pepper has a 6 heart murmur. When she got her tail chopped off last year, we explained to the emergency vet about her heart and told her that when Pepper had anesthesia in the past, she took a long time to wake up. The vet did a thorough exam of her own and changed the type of anesthesia for the surgery. Pepper did fine. Her heart did fine and she woke up very quickly afterwards.

Also, we adopted Pepper knowing about her bad heart. And we adopted Cammie at 10+ years old with bad teeth. There is always a chance that this baby will get a forever home.

It might be worth checking out iMOM's various funds for rescue organizations. 1 By 1 may be eligible for some funds.

From iMOM's website: Other qualification for rescuers only

Your rescue organization must be a 501(c)(3).

The pet must be currently in rescue or foster care.

Your rescue must have all pets spayed or neutered prior to adoption.

http://www.imom.org/fa/rescue/index.htm

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I agree with Freedom. I say take the cat and put him in a foster home and make him as comfortable and happy as possible.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Cassie Is Right, And My Vet Tells Me That Bad Teeth Can Cause A Lot Of Problems With Thier Heart And Kidneys.
    Thats What Caused The Passing Of My Dear Mr Fluffy Angel.
    We Hope That Somehow Can That Poor Cat Can Be Helped.
    Prayers Are Coming To Him, And The Pet Angels Are With Him To Comfort That Poor Soul.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

At this point we do not know if his bad teeth has already caused other health problems. So we "assume" LOW adoptablility due to a combination of age and health.
    I agree but, you don't know that getting some needed dental work wouldnt
    cure a lot of the problems he has besides the heart murmur. If your group
    can do the dental, the cat would at least have some chance for adoption.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Bad teeth can cause all sorts of problems. I'd definitely get the dental work done to be sure he isn't in pain. Keep him comfortable and then try to make him adoptable.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by columbine
    I'd also consider the quite real possibility that word will get out, and OBO will become a dumping ground for impossible-to-adopt cats (or at least you'd be faced with decisions like this much more often.)

Love, Columbine
    HA! This is the exact reason our shelter is not public! We only give the address/directions to potential adopters when they want to see a cat that is there.

HA! This is the exact reason our shelter is not public! We only give the address/directions to potential adopters when they want to see a cat that is there.
    I meant among humane societies, but I'm glad you've got that aspect covered!

Love, Columbine