Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Innapropriate Interview Question??

Innapropriate Interview Question??

The pregnancy Ettiquite, made me see what you views are on this.....

A woman I know on another forum, had a job interview. During the interview she was asked if her and her hubby were planning on starting a family. She replied no, but was upset, as this was a sensitive subject for her, as she cannot have kids. Then they stated that they request female employees to let them know if the plan to start a family prior to actually trying to start a family. This got her even more upset! She left the interview feeling upset, but did not show it, later she was offered the job, but is unsure whether she should take it.

I feel that this line of questioning was way overboard, and that In some areas I know it is illegal to ask such questions! What do you think??

If it was me, I would have stormed out of the office, and told them where to go!! I would hate to think what would happen if a person working there had an unexpected pregnancy!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

That is NOT a proper interview question!

I was asked that once in the 70's - about a PIANO job in a restaurant. The fear is that women will leave the job if and when they do have babies, and they will have to train someone else.

I think if they subsidized daycare, provided it, or even covered maternity leave, they would have less to worry about.

Check here:
    http://www.collegegrad.com/ezine/23illega.shtml

From that page:
    It should be noted that just because an illegal question has been asked does not necessarily mean a crime has been committed. Just because the question has [been] asked does not establish intent. It is up to a court of law to determine whether the question or any resulting information was used in a discriminatory manner.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That's horrible.. terribly uneccisary.

Thats so odd!!!

Weirdo job people..

It is a violation of Federal Law (Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 1991) to ask about pregancy, plans for pregancy or childcare arrangements.

I would be hesitant to accept employment with a company that requires woman (why don't they ask the men too??) about these things. This is not something new in this country and an employer who is not following it is either extremely ignorant of or willfully ignoring this basic of employment law.

That question is about as "legal" as asking someone their age.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    The fear is that women will leave the job if and when they do have babies, and they will have to train someone else.
    Actually it is more than that. It is that the woman will be collecting maternity leave benefits, which costs the company money on the health insurance plan(s) it offers. Meanwhile, they can only hire a temp for the length of the offered maternity leave, as they have to hold the job open for her on her return. And with the possible Federal Family Leave of 12 weeks added on, it could be 6 months of dealing with a temp. Only to have found the temp is a great person they have trained and have to let go; OR the temp is not working out and the woman decides to stay home for a few years so now they are stuck

I think only a small company would be this blatant since it is illegal.

I recall being asked that years ago during a job interview. I felt insulted - do they ask men if they plan to start families too? They might want paternity leave. I would imagine it's illegal to ask a question like that these days.

It's way out of line to ask that. It's illegal.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

This reminds me of a situation we had in one of the places I worked many years ago - around 1981, I think. It was not illegal at that time to ask about intentions to have a family, and when the company was taking on an administrative assistant, they hired the one girl who interviewed, who was not married. They apparently failed to notice that the unmarried girl had been living with her boyfriend for some time, and soon after getting the job she became pregnant. The rest of us giggled about it for some time.

I wouldn't care if someone asked me that in an interview.

Yes I realize that woman shouldn't be penalized for wanting to start families or have babies, but I would just shrug it off.

If your friend wanted the job before they asked her those questions, I don't see why she shouldn't want it now.

Can't help but wonder if she had said yes, if she would even have been offered the job. I was never asked that question on any interview I went to.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces
    Can't help but wonder if she had said yes, if she would even have been offered the job.

Probably not. I landed some of the best jobs I've ever had while I was
    still single so this particular question never came up but, it's still insulting.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    They are lucky it wasn't me. I would have started crying, then screaming. They never would dare ask a woman that question again!
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

I would have refused to answer the question!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

OK...
    You are the business owner.

You hire the woman, she gets pregger a month later.

You have to provide insurance, a replacement and pay both of the women.

Geez, women want to be treated equal but men haven't figured out how to carry a child.....

It works for seahorses.......

----------------

Many times I have had to assume to duties of a pregnant women.
    I have no problem with their pregnancy...I only care when they use it to avoid work.