Thread: Wasp Sting Treatment

Wasp Sting Treatment

My chihuahua tries to catch wasps and she loves munching on fallen apples in the yard which wasps seem to gather around. I myself was stung by a wasp several days ago while picking up apples. I didn't realize how much pain a wasp sting causes and now I'm worried my dog might get stung one of these days, so my question is, how would you go about treating a dog that's been stung?

Digital Paint Pet Portraits
    http://dogshop.50webs.com

I'm curious, too. There's a wasp nest at the agility site where we train and the smell of meat attracts them. I'm like a walking target there and Ivy also likes to snap at them.

I'd say unless your dog is allergic or stung by a LOT of them, don't worry about it.

If the sting seems to be irritated make a paste with baking soda.

If the dog if having labored breathing or other symptoms of an allergic reaction get the dog in to see a vet NOW.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Never ran into that with any of my dogs, but my friend did...with one of her shepherds. The dog got stung and started choking. Lucky for her there's a vet just down the street, had to give the dog a shot and then some meds.
    Until then I didn't realize dogs could react like us to bee stings.

I've been checking around and it seems that Benadryl is something that should be in everyone's medicine cabinet. Give 1 milligram for every pound the dog weighs if there is any sign of an allergic reaction.

FYI Chihuahuas are HIGHLY ALLERGIC TO ANY AND ALL BEE/WASP STINGS.
    If your chi is to be stung give him/her bendrly IMEDTATLEY then call your local vet/er vet and bring her/him in to be seen.
    This is all what my regular vet has told me to do in case that Mister has ever been stung.

Thanks emc and Mr. for the info... Chis are a breed i'd consider helping with in the future (for rescues) and we have a lot of yellow jackets around here.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

My brother lost his 5 year old black GSD Baron last summer due to being attacked by hornets. He started convulsing and his stomach turned. By the time they got to the vet it was too late. I always keep Benadryl in my cupboard. Due to your Chi being so tiny, I'd find out the dosage 'before' something happens.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I was wondering that just today, as one of my shelties was trying to catch one I am off to the Drug store for Benedryl. Thanks so much for the information

My boston terrier once tried to eat a wasp and it stung her lip. Her lip got huge and fat. Thankfully she wasn't allergic. She just had a swollen lip for a day. Now she hates wasps and tries to eat them every time she sees one.

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

I don't know if this is true with dogs but if people get stung by a wasp several times they can develop an allergy so you with the Bostons might want to be careful your dog doesn't get stung again.