Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shippings dogs Via Airlines?*Possible New Addition!*

Shippings dogs Via Airlines?*Possible New Addition!*

A friend of mine is going through some rough times. Her husband just left her, she has to move into a new place, and can only take 2 of her 3 dogs. I have agreed to take one of her dogs. The probem is, we would need to ship the dog on a plane. What is the best airline to do this, and how does one find out how much it costs?? We need to figure this out as soon as we can. Anyone got any Ideas???
    Please help!

This is Braven, the dog I would be shipping

He is a 11 month old toy poodle. Isnt he just darling??
    Last edited by critter crazy; 08-28-2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Awww, give your friend big hugs from me.

Some of it depends on the particular airline. When I had to do some flying (multiple flights) with Spanky, I went with all Alaska/Horizon flights. There was one that was an American Airlines operated by Horizon Air but I never ran into any problems.

They have to have an airline approved crate. There has to be bedding on the bottom that will absorb any "liquids". There has to be one bowl for food and one for water that can be attached to the crates but also accessible from the outside. I am unsure if the *live animal* labels are required or not. I never had them on mine.

They will need, within a few days of the flight, a vet health check with the certificate to show as proof. Before boarding, there will be a fee that has to be paid.

If I can think of anything else, I will post again! I am currently trying to find pics of the crate I used when flying w/ pups.

thanks for the Info! I have ontacted some airlines, and there are many that do not ship dogs, without a passenger. So our options have been limited. Alotof the airlines, do not come into my Airport, so I will have to do some traveling to pick up, which is okay.

so far my best options seem to be:
    Delta
    United
    Continental
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Some relatives have moved with their pets across the pond by Delta Airlaines
    the dog in cabin with them and the cat in the cargo.

Out there is a company specialized on transporting pets by road, maybe it's a better option for you? I don't remember the name of the company.Maybe if you google *pet transport* or something of that sort you can find it.

Good luck, he sure is a cutie. I'm sorry for your friend.

Here is one link, with info, for AA Cargo. This is how my Sugar flew in last December.

https://www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml

When traveling within Canada I always ship West Jet. When Traveling within the States I always ship Delta's Pet First Department. Here is a link to the Delta area:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ions/index.jsp

Hope that helps.
    Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ
    When traveling within Canada I always ship West Jet. When Traveling within the States I always ship Delta's Pet First Department. Here is a link to the Delta area:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ions/index.jsp

Hope that helps.
    Nicole & Sheena & Puppies
    Yes, i looked, and talked with them. They definitely seemed like the better choice, including their prices.
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Gosh I have having second thoughts!!! I realy would love to help, and would love to have this great dog. But gosh, Braven is just so tiny, i am so fearfull that he wont make the trip well. I am so freaked, cause I have never had a dog shipped before!! Poor guy only weighs 6 pounds, and ground transport is so darn expensive!! Acccckkkkkk....what the heeck do I do???

I am very connected with this dog, i have been seeing his pics, since the day he was born. And I have so been looking for a small lap dog, and he just seems so perfect!!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

He reminds me of Kirby. Where is he now? How far does he have to travel?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom
    He reminds me of Kirby. Where is he now? How far does he have to travel?
    From Spokane Washington, to Binghamton NY
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Oh, that really is too long for a road trip. Sorry, I thought maybe we could get a caravan going, but I don't think we could do it that far. But seriously, I think that is right around where Kirby lives too. Yoo-Hoo, Vette...

Yeah it is way too far for ground travel, and very costly. I feel our only option is air, but I am still scared.
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

transport?

I still don't see why a ground transport would be impossible.

I'm thinking maybe you could find some help on the Petfinder or Care2 message boards.

Maybe a few people here could pick up a few legs of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    Yeah it is way too far for ground travel, and very costly. I feel our only option is air, but I am still scared.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Nebo has been on an airplane 3 times, Keva once. I was also on the plane, but since they are big dogs, they were in cargo and not with me unfortunately. Both of them did great, I have used Delta all of the times. I put a kong with treats/peanut butter in with them to keep them occupied, a towel, and attached a water bottle to the front. Of course this was a non-stop flight (not sure if that's possible with the distance he'd need to travel?). Although I don't think they ever checked it, I had a health certificate each time.