Thread: Danger To Cats --Article On PBDE

Danger To Cats --Article On PBDE

Dust with retardant may harm cats
    8/16/2007
    By SETH BORENSTEIN
    AP Science Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) – A new federal study suggests that household dust containing a common flame retardant may be linked to an increase in cats getting sick from overactive thyroids. That could be a warning sign for how young children could get exposed to the chemical, said Linda S. Birnbaum, director of experimental toxicology at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and co-author of the study.

The small study looks at chemical flame retardants called polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), which were used in foam, plastics, furniture, electronics, fabrics and carpet padding. The sole American manufacturer in 2004 agreed to phase out the types of PBDEs included in the study because of concern about toxicity in animals.

But PBDEs remain in American homes.

The study of 23 cats found the older felines with high levels of certain types of PBDEs tended to have overactive thyroids, the researchers reported online Wednesday in the peer-reviewed journal Environmental Science and Technology.

Hyperthyroidism is treatable in both cats and humans. In cats, the disease started soaring in America in the late 1970s and 1980s, soon after PBDEs became common, according to the researchers.

The EPA study adds to recent research that raises serious questions about human exposure to PBDE. One study found a significant relationship between indoor dust exposure and PBDE levels in first-time mothers in the Boston area. Another found PBDE levels in Americans are three to 10 times higher than in Europeans. And small studies in California and Norway show that children, especially toddlers, have higher PBDE levels than adults.

Tom Webster, a professor of environmental health at Boston University, said animal research has found PBDEs to damage the nervous system and disrupt hormones, but studies haven't been done to look at people's health.

''I don't think we know about (human) health yet, but I don't like the sound of this,'' said Webster, who co-authored the Boston dust study but was not part of the EPA research, which he praised. ''Levels in people are going up.''

But because the cat study is so preliminary, Birnbaum said people shouldn't overreact and sell their furniture or rid themselves of carpets. However, she said she makes sure to wash her grandchildren's blankets more frequently and checks on flame retardant use when buying furniture.

Most people don't have PBDE levels that are anywhere near that of cats, Birnbaum said. PBDE is just one of many chemicals that accumulate in our body with unknown effects, but the dust exposure route is unusual, Birnbaum said.

The EPA study suggests household dust as the key way PBDE gets into cats, and likely, people. It also found elevated PBDE levels in certain cat food, mostly fish, but tests showed food couldn't be blamed for the high levels in cats, Birnbaum said.

She said if PBDEs get into bodies through household dust, that means children are likely to be more exposed than their parents.

''To me, it's a consumer product issue,'' said Myrto Petreas, chief of the state of California's environmental chemistry branch and co-author of other studies looking at PBDE levels in women and San Francisco Bay harbor seals. ''You get exposed while you're in your home.... It's in the carpet. It's in the monitor. It's in your chair.''

© 2007 Associated Press
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

No carpets here so the Found Cats are safe. But that was wonderful to let those Pet Lovers know of the danger.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

We have hardwood floors with Oriental rugs, os the Clan should be safe!!! Thanks for the info!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

That's a very interesting article. We just had the dining room measured this morning for either replacement carpet or hardwood floors. Now it's brainer.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good

Oh I am SO glad you posted that! I saw it in our newspaper and then I couldn't find it to scan it in. Never thought to look it up on the web, duh.

Since this affects both pets and humans, I though it was good information
    to have.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

I read this in our local paper. Eddie and Edwina pointed it out to me.

Seems California is particularly high in this problem. They say they should go outside more because of it.

But I reminded them that I take medication for LOW thyroid so I don't think this house has a problem.

But it does make a good case for hardwood or tile floors!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately,since I live in a condo, I can only have hard floors in my kitchen or bathrooms. My carpet is very old and I hope to be able to have it replaced some day.

Great info.Thank You.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

I'm gradually replacing all carpet w/hardwood floors, two rooms to go. Probably that'll be just about when they find something in hardwood floors that's a danger. The article also said, though, that it's in our monitor and in our chair. So what are we supposed to do about that?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    I'm gradually replacing all carpet w/hardwood floors, two rooms to go. Probably that'll be just about when they find something in hardwood floors that's a danger. The article also said, though, that it's in our monitor and in our chair. So what are we supposed to do about that?

Just be aware of it & watch for health changes I suppose. I don't know
    if it is listed on tagged products or not. The chemical is in many
    products as the article said.......

"The small study looks at chemical flame retardants called polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), which were used in foam, plastics, furniture, electronics, fabrics and carpet padding. The sole American manufacturer in 2004 agreed to phase out the types of PBDEs included in the study because of concern about toxicity in animals"
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt