Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's about time...details may be disturbing to some...

It's about time...details may be disturbing to some...

CAIRO (AFP) - Egypt on Thursday finally banned all female circumcision, the widely-practised removal of the clitoris which just days ago cost the life of a 12-year-old girl.

Officially the practice, which affects both Muslim and Christian women in Egypt and goes back to the time of the pharoahs, was banned in 1997 but doctors were allowed to operate "in exceptional cases".

On Thursday, Health Minister Hatem al-Gabali decided to ban every doctor and member of the medical profession, in public or private establishments, from carrying out a clitoridectomy, a ministry press official told AFP.

Any circumcision "will be viewed as a violation of the law and all contraventions will be punished," said the official, adding that it was a "permanent ban".

A survey in 2000 said the practice was carried out on 97 percent of the country's women.

In the latest fatality, 12-year-old Bedur Ahmed Shaker was taken by her mother to a private clinic in Minya, a town on the Nile south of Cairo, for the operation. She died before she could be transferred to hospital.

Her mother accused the woman doctor of negligence, charging that her daughter's death was linked to the anaesthetic and not the removal of the clitoris, for which she had paid 50 pounds (nearly nine dollars). Police have arrested both women.

AFP/File photo: Two girls sit next to an old knife
    that is used to perform female circumcision...
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I've got one thing to say about that...

OUCH!!!!

I wonder if they circumcise men in Egypt or if it's considered mutilation???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thank God I live in the US.

I hope these first two arrests will send a message and that government will continue to enforce the new 'no exceptions' law.

David Bowie's wife, Iman, had that happen to her when she was a young girl, and now campaigns against it.

Now if the rest of the Mid East could get onside...one down.

Ok, maybe I live in a hole somewhere, but WHY on earth would they remove that from a woman???!!!

I really don't understand some religions or traditions
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Catsnclay....basically, to keep women 'loyal'. One of the thoughts being, if a woman can't feel pleasure, she won't cheat on her husband to find it.

There is likely more to that, but that is my understanding.

Of course, in the cultures, the husband can have all the pleasures he wants...

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Catsnclay....basically, to keep women 'loyal'. One of the thoughts being, if a woman can't feel pleasure, she won't cheat on her husband to find it.

There is likely more to that, but that is my understanding.

Of course, in the cultures, the husband can have all the pleasures he wants...
    OMG! you HAVE to be joking! What, are woman just baby machines to the men over there?!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Some links from sites, as I will not copy them here.

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/circu.../response.html

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/circu...response4.html (a more enlightened man!)

You know, I didn't even know that female circumcision exists until about a year ago. That is just awful. I heard they do it in many countries in Africa.

But wouldn't that make life a misery for both the wife AND husband? I mean, if the woman can't feel pleasure, I would think it would ruin everything for the husband along with herself. Some people are just sick.

That would actually create issues for people marrying in different cultures. What if a girl is 'snipped', and later marries a man from another culture? I doubt men from cultures where this is NOT practiced would ever want a circumcised girl, and no one really thinks they'd need to ask a GIRL about that beforehand. Those poor, poor girls who have gone through this.

Yes, popcornbird....but if you look at the first link, where an obviously educated man outlines the advantages...and then the second, where another man has responded with anger to what one of his countrymen posted, it is enlightening.

There are women AND men who will not put up with this, and I hope it starts to go away from this day forward.

These people still live in the bloody stone age.
    Wom

The ones who are finally banning it are out of the stone age, and some of teh citizens are following....

But the masses, it will take time and law enforcement....

The ones who are finally banning it are out of the stone age, and some of teh citizens are following....

But the masses, it will take time and law enforcement....
    They've pretty well stopped that here amongst our aboriginals. It was a problem here for a while.
    Wom

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic
    Haha agreed, cept I say..Thank God I live in Canada
    Thank God I live in Canada
    Thank God I live in Canada.

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

What a bunch of flipping nutcases.