Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How'd you get your job?

How'd you get your job?

This job hunting thing is driving me NUTS. I keep getting interviews, even making it to the second or third interview, and eventually told that they "went with a more qualified candidate". Am I just not reaching the right employer?

So I got to wondering, just how do most people get their jobs? Networking? Word of mouth? The newspaper? Internet? Luck? Were you simply at the right place at the right time? Did you fall into it without looking? Is it something you always did, were you trained, or is it something completely out of your comfort zone?

Oooo.... lots of questions, didn't know you were gonna get quizzed, did ya?!

I work at a dog kennel. I have trained (she is a dog trainer) with the owner for 3 years before I started working there. One day I went in their and asked if she wouldn't mind if I put her on my resume'. She said the she was hireing, and the rest is history and it's been 1 year.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

I know how frustrating looking for a job is! Until recently, I was without a job I could really even stand...but luckily I have jobs I like now.

My piano teaching job was sheer luck- and years of piano lessons. But, there are plenty of people who are just as good as I am, but I happened to respond to my bosses ad first, and she liked me. I'm very happy with it- I make a good wage, and it's fun.

I got my teaching assistant job by being very over-qualified. I already have my degree and I'm getting a master's in education. But I work at a private school and everyone there is over-qualified. I guess I'm just willing to work there for experience more than pay. But the teacher I work with is wonderful, and I'm learning quite a lot from her.

my best friends mom is a pharmacy manager, she was loosing an employee and needed someone to start right away, I only had one more month to find a job, she knew that so she phoned me, told me to bring my resume and come inanytime the next day, so the next day I came in, she is practicly my second mother so she gave my resume an obligitory looksie and told me I started the next day lol been there over a year now
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I started out doing medical transcription for my mom, as she is a nurse practitioner and needed someone to do her chart. I had no clue what I was getting into but eventually taught myself. She ended up changing jobs and no longer needed any help so I went job hunting. I tried cold calling, going to offices, nobody needed transcription work, they alraedy had someone, so I went online. Got both of my current jobs there. Mine is easy though in the fact that I work from home, so I can apply anywhere in the country for work, and am not limited to my living location, so that does make it a lot easier to get a job.

Good luck, hope you find a job soon.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

I guess I got lucky. I had decided I wanted to go off to an Institute, a Bible School actually. I got there and after 5 days I wanted to come home really bad and just didn't like all the rules there, anyways I got lucky because just at that time my father (an electrical distributor branch manager) needed an extra worker because it was busier than usual this year. so got employeed by my father at the warehouse and ever since I've been there. And I love it cause I also have weekends off and the hours is always 7:30 to 5:00 with an hour lunch break

I know how much trying to find a job can drive you nuts, my bestfriend is still searching for a job and it near drived her to crazy, now she has an interview on saturday which she is very happy about. The main thing is to just keep applying over and over again, the more somebody sees your name in there resume the pile, the more they say "Wow this person really wants a job!"

Good luck, I hope you find one soon

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    So I got to wondering, just how do most people get their jobs? Is it something you always did, were you trained, or is it something completely out of your comfort zone?
    When I graduated from university, I discovered that doing what I actually wanted to do wasn't possible without a ton of experience. I wanted to be a geriatric social worker. The easiest job for a bachelor of social work grad with no experience to get is a child protection worker. I'd always sworn that was something I'd never do, but my only other option was to move back in with my parents. That wasn't happening so I took a job as a CP worker and immediately discovered that I loved it and was, frankly, really good at it.

Fast forward almost 8 years and I realized that I was burnt out. The average CP worker lasts 18 months, so I made it longer than most! I was physically ill from the stress, tired of the constant threats to me, my family and my dogs ect. I realized I had to get out when it suddenly hit me one day that I didn't even like the kids anymore. I'd always enjoyed the kids on my caseload, even the hard core street kids.

So I applied for a job at the Worker's Compensation Board. Came in second on the competition as they hired someone who was already in the organization. The HR director mentioned they may have a short term position in a few months. I contacted him every two weeks from then on, just to remind him that I was still out there and still wanted to work for him! One day he called and said they had a rehab. counsellor position open for a six month term. Walking away from the security of a permanent, full time, loaded with benefits job was very difficult, especially since I am the primary breadwinner in my family. The term kept getting extended and three years later, I got a permanent position, doing the same thing.

Most of my jobs have been gov't positions so I'm not sure that private industry does this, but after an interview in gov't you can ask for a "post-board". You meet with the interviewer and they go over what you did well, what you missed, what you should have said differently ect. Very useful for the next interview.

I hope you find something soon.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I work in a factory. Been there 14 years. I filled in an application and went back every month to have them update my application that I was still interested. After many months they finally hired me. I guess they figured if I was going to keep stopping in, I might as well work there.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

A groundskeeper

I'm a groundskeeper at my local golf course. I started working there as a caddy in 1962. After 9 years of caddying, they were looking for people to work on the grounds. I started groundskeeping in 1971. This is my 45th year at Longue Vue Club and I'm looking forward to retirement in 6 years. Kim, I wish you all of the luck in the world in finding the right job.

I'd like to say I slept my way to the top, but I'm nowhere near there!

I tried everything, and something worked....reading thru the Yellow Pages can give you good ideas, and about things you never thought of. Apply even if they aren't advertising....maybe they are ABOUT to, and you'll save them the time and money!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I had a degree in Computer programming and took the only job available
    where I wanted to work. It was as a computor operator & I was trained on
    the job. Finally moved up to Programming after I'd been there awhile.

Oh I did get a heads up as to the open job initially by a friend of a friend.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Getting my job was easy! They called me!! It was the Army!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Back in the early 90's, I had no job and very few computer skills. I volunteered to work free of charge for 1 month with a computer/publishing firm. They taught me so much and hired me once the month was up.

Could you write the firms that recently interviewed you and offer to work free for a month while they assess you? It could turn out that the person they hired, doesn't work out and you're there willing and eager.

And if they don't hire you at the end of the month, ask them what you can improve upon.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Told my boss I wanted a job and I started working the next week. Didn't fill out an application until about 2 weeks later.

I do food prep and customer service. So, I suppose it's something I've always done, but I did have to learn their ways.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I just handed in my resume so I would say just luck. I guess I had some previous experience when I was little and worked at the (STUPID) pet store. I was actually not going to hand my resume into this place because I thought they would never hire me. Not only did they hire me but they offered to train me for a career.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee