Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overweight Lab

Overweight Lab

I went to the SPCA yesterday and just looked at dogs. There's a sweet chocolate lab that's 5 years old. She's there because of a divorce and whomever had her couldn't keep her in the new apartment. She was being fed Beneful, which I'm sure is part of the problem. I also suspect she got table scraps. I would guess she needs to lose probably 25 pounds or so. my question is, can I accomplish that with proper food from the vet, and exercise? I don't want to take on too much but I hate to see a sweet dog like her there because of her circumstances.

I also found a beautiful shepherd on Petfinder but it was a courtesy listing and I haven't heard back from him yet. I want to do this right and not make another mistake. My next dog will be for keeps.

On a side note, I felt so sorry for two 8 year old black labs there. Owner had them all their lives and gave them up. They lived all thei lives on a front porch. If they were house trained, I'd be tempted to take one and show them what a real home could be. Even if I would risk the hurt of loss soon because of their age. I wanted one of them badly. It was so very sad. I talked to him for a bit and petted his muzzle through the gate. Get tears just thinking about it.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Absolutely, unless there's some underlying medical condition, the right diet and exercise, and should shed the pounds. A five-year-old Lab is meant to be busy, not neglected! I am sure with love and attention, she'd perk right up.

Dukedogsmom- a high fiber diet like Beneful would have put the excess weight on. A better diet with more digestable protein would solve the problem.
    As far as which dog, I cant offer more than a single sentence. Sometimes people do not adopt an older dog, when actually under good care, they can live longer than you would expect. And sentence number two- and end their lives in love..

Val, I think of beneful like I think of mcdonalds...pure junk...although casey gets california natural and tends to put on excess weight. Casey is the most laid back dog I have ever been around but she does like to run at the dog park so I try to do that as much as I can.

Follow your heart...so what if you make another mistake you give a dog a warm bed for a week or so...think of it as rescue...its time for you to be a bit selfish and help yourself heal.

I worry about you a lot, I hope things are going better.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Caseysmom is right- its less digestable or useable proteins and carbs..

Caseysmom: If I followed my heart, I'd take the black lab.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

So take the black lab...he is going to have a harder time finding a home at 8. Yes you will not have a whole lifetime with him but we usually outlive our pets so it will happen. It will never be as hard as it was with Duke so don't be scared.

I have been frosted!

I didn't know about Molly until today. I am so sorry about that Val.
    It just might be better to put off any decision on another dog until after
    the holidays are over. It's usually a pretty emotional time for most people
    anyway & you've had so much sadness already.It never hurts to look, but
    then, we are all different.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    I went to the SPCA yesterday and just looked at dogs. There's a sweet chocolate lab that's 5 years old. She's there because of a divorce and whomever had her couldn't keep her in the new apartment. She was being fed Beneful, which I'm sure is part of the problem. I also suspect she got table scraps. I would guess she needs to lose probably 25 pounds or so. my question is, can I accomplish that with proper food from the vet, and exercise? I don't want to take on too much but I hate to see a sweet dog like her there because of her circumstances.

I also found a beautiful shepherd on Petfinder but it was a courtesy listing and I haven't heard back from him yet. I want to do this right and not make another mistake. My next dog will be for keeps.

On a side note, I felt so sorry for two 8 year old black labs there. Owner had them all their lives and gave them up. They lived all thei lives on a front porch. If they were house trained, I'd be tempted to take one and show them what a real home could be. Even if I would risk the hurt of loss soon because of their age. I wanted one of them badly. It was so very sad. I talked to him for a bit and petted his muzzle through the gate. Get tears just thinking about it.
    A Lab is a finely tuned eating machine. At some given amount it will maintain the current weight. Add just a little more food and it will gain. Decrease a little and it will lose weight. If I wanted my previous Golden/Yellow Lab to gain I'd feed her 2.25 cups of Propet Maintenance. Intake of 2 cups maintained weight, while an intake of 1.75 cups took weight off. Since she was outside during my working hours I let her gain to 80 lbs during the winter, and then decreased the weight back to a trim 72-75 lbs in the summer. Typically a female lab's best weight is around 65-70. Mine being a mix could carry more without any problems. Increasing her exercise seemed to have no effect on her weight. So find a good quality of food, and then determine the correct amount. Since a Lab will eat just about anything, you can try giving it carrots or the like to fill up the tummy.

I went back and took the black lab out for a while. He's such a sweetheart. When he came in, he was so scared, they didn't do a heartworm test. I asked them to do one before I made the decision. Well, he's positive What do I do? There is a vet that will do all the treatment for free. If he didn't make it, I don't think I could handle it. But, I hate not to give him a chance. It seems lately, I can't win.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

Gosh Val can you get a damm break or what. But that poor boy sure needs a break...I say do it but you are risking your heart...but his life is on the line. I would talk to them about what the treatment entails...

I have been frosted!

I've seen about 20 dogs do heartworm treatworm, two of which where almost emaciated and in horrible shape. The emaciated ones had to gain a little bit of weight, but we did do the treatment when they were under weight. I have never seen a dog die from the treatment. I know it happens, as they are injected with immiticide, a form of arsenic, but it dosen't happen all the time.

But then again, we had a 9 year old Golden boarding with us, and had had heartworm treatment early in his life. He passed away overnight due to a weak heart, from the heartworms and treatment. I believe the treatment does take years off the dogs life, so you have to weigh in that option.

Sounds like your heart is with the older black lab, come rain or shine, but as far as overweight labs...
    Labrador Retrievers are prone to being overweight.
    I had a friend who had to leave her 5 yr old lab/mix with us for a year. She was very overweight and underexercised.
    I worked w/ her and restricted her dog food a bit, but not too much. (It doesn't take much, just time and patience), and she trimmed down like a champ! Labs also love to run, so frisbee tossing and bike riding w/ Roxy running beside me, really got us into a positive routine. The pounds melted off. This girl was slim, muscular and more alert, afterwards.
    A side note-
    The lab's prior owner, being concerned w/ overweight, gave her iams diet forumula. I personally, don't believe in diet dog food so, at that time, gave her iams normal formula. Since then I have been educated on raw feeding, and do that with my own dog.
    If, for whatever reason, it doesn't work out with the older black lab, consider the chocolate lab, or both. I wish i could adopt one of them.
    Anyways, whatever happens, you can handle it, hun!
    Zoey
    Religion is a smile on a dog.

It's raining cats and dogs!!!
    SPCA HOUSTON
    HABITAT FOR HORSES
    When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

Here's the shepherd: http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7301108
    I haven't heard from the woman that has him. She's having family problems right now. So, if I haven't heard from her by Saturday when I wake up, I'm giong to take a chance and give that sweet old soul a good home for however long it will be. Maybe PT will give us a miracle for Christmas. I just feel like I can't let him down. Life is too short and none of us know how long we'll be here. He was so happy this afternoon. He got to get out in the grass and smell fresh air. After he pooped, he scratched out like crazy. Was fun to watch. So, wish me luck with whatever happens. I just can't wait until January to have another dog. And this time, everything feels right.

9/3/13
    I miss you

Join me on this flight.
    [/SIZE]

11/12/06

good luck in whatever you decide!!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!