Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Malamute or Husky for adoption in MI

Is her prey drive toward dogs only, or all other animals like cats and other small critters??

prey drive

I wouldn't say she has a prey drive towards dogs; I'd say she has a prey drive towards anything small that moves. As far as i can tell, this excludes humans.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    Is her prey drive toward dogs only, or all other animals like cats and other small critters??

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

service dog?

I've been thinking of this for over a week now, but watching Underdogs on PBS gave me strength. I just would have no idea of who to contact.

C&P:
    "Please, if anyone knows of a service group (such as search & rescue) or a reputable acting agency let me know ASAP or send them Koli’s information. She is very intelligent and highly adaptable. She just needs someone who can work with her. I had zero tolerance for dogs with dog aggression. She has shown me though why some people try so hard to rehabilitate some of them. She is a diamond in the rough; she just needs to be polished."

I'm thinking she'd be great for SAR for when conditions are too cold for other SAR dogs. I'm thinking particularly looking for lost hikers in the snow covered mountains.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Great News !

OK, looks like i forgot to post to you guys that we got a bit of good news. Last week we received and awesome email. Someone was willing to work with us and their dog.

C&P:

GREAT NEWS!!! Koli CAN get along with other dogs!!!

We end up meeting with a friend of the person who originally offered help. The other dog's personality was calm, but he wasn't about to put up with any shenanigans either. Koli was definitely testing the boundaries. There were a few hair raising scary sounding scuffles but no blood was shed. By the end of the hour she'd walk up to him like she was going to start something. When he wouldn't do anything she'd just leave him alone and go sniff something else. By the end of the hour she had conceded to being beta. He got first dibs on cashes and he had last say on marking posts.

So PLEASE spread the word, Koli CAN get along with non-violent dogs.

We're going to meet up again next weekend. Again with the same dog and another one that is a tiny bit less tolerant (if she does well with this one again.)

God, i could see her working instinct kick in!!! It was near the beginning of the hour. We were walking down a trail. They hadn't worked out the pecking order yet and Koli was still likely to pick a dominance "talk" with him. She walked right next to him no problem. It was as if i could see the rigging hooked up to them. She was as happy as could be to be in a team!

I hope to be updating all of her online profiles soon. I don't know if i can get to the Pefinder one tonight. Takes a bit of thought if you're not used to working with code.

This is just amazing, as it opens up the door to a lot more homes for her!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Copy of email I sent to the person who introduced me to J***
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

J*** and I met up again today and all things considered it went quite well again today.

Koli actually was playing with K***. Playing!

However, both K*** and K**** were leery of Koli and she took advantage of it and tried bossing them around. K*** didn't put up with it, but she bullied K****. J*** says that is really out of character for him (K****.) We end up having to put K**** in the air lock to save him from Koli. (We met up at Petsmart in Saginaw then ventured to Bark Park.)

When we were in the store Koli wasn't a complete spazz like she used to be. Last weekend worked a miracle on her. We had avoided taking her to pet stores because of the way she acted before, but I think it would be OK now.

Last week I was just starting to have hope I could place her with another dog. After today I definitely feel confident placing her in a home with another dog that can hold their own. Not sure about placing her with a submissive dog (or overly dominant either of course,) though.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

J also commented on something that I've noticed. Koli has one heck of a herding instinct. She looks like a Border Collie or Aussie out there. Some of her moves belie that she's a Husky, sometimes she moves more like one of the aforementioned breeds.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Did i forget to mention, Koli was playing with another dog!?

another fosterer's perspective

Now on to the good news... Koli's eval from John...

Tue, 6 Mar 2007 (private email update to me.)

The worst thing to happen so far occurred Sunday night. After getting on together all afternoon, just before I went to bed P**** needed to assert himself to Koli. He strode up to her at broadsides like warships of old. With his face at the level of her face, he emitted a low growl. Koli understood his demand and hung her head still lower as she stepped away from him. P**** moved his broadside in close again and repeated the growl. Again she moved away giving submissive body language. Yet again P**** presented his broadsides and Koli moved off. P**** was going to do this routine still again but I interceded. I brought P**** into the bedroom and he laid down for the night.

Monday morning Koli used the pet door while I was at ______. This evening P**** was almost playing with her. He seemed to want her to chase him but she was herding him.

We have not met any other dogs on our visits to the pet food store or TSC. Koli has met several adults and a few young children, though. In all situations, at home and elsewhere, she has been splendid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tue, 13 Mar 2007 (overview he wrote up for the public.)

Koli's foster home wanted a break for a bit and asked for some help. I am John, a malamute person. We met for several hours over a couple of Saturdays, Koli first meeting my Malamute then meeting two of my former foster Malamutes. These meets worked so well that I substitute-fostered Koli for a week. This is my overview of Koli.

Koli is a very good looking little girl. She is from easy to walk to not too difficult. When she wants to investigate something, she may pull determinedly. I view walking a dog not as exercise but as an expedition for the dog. I allow the dog to pursue it's interest within limits that I set. Koli's only stout pulling for me involved her wanting to meet other dogs or other animals. She really wanted to interact with the wee folk at the pet shops.

This little girl is very affectionate and likes humans of all sizes. Children look at her bright, smart face and find her adorable; as she does them. (Even as children playing together can become too rough without intending to hurt anyone, so too can a dog playing with a child become too rough with out intending harm. Be aware while children are playing). Koli is very gentle when taking offerings from humans and she very much appreciates the thought. At home, she may follow her person around with interest but she is not needy. Neither is this kid hyper. Of course, she does get excited when she is about to go walking. Everyone needs to get out of the house and into less familiar surroundings regularly.

Koli likes to play. Chasing a ball is great fun. Tag is grand fun too. She will come alive with a child who wants someone to play with. She can play her most energetic with other dogs. With others of her kind the action can be enormously fun to watch. Koli seems almost to try to herd the other dog while in games of chase.

Sometimes one may wonder if Koli really is attacking the other dog. I suspect that Koli has a bit of the school yard bully in her with respect to other dogs but I also feel that in spite of this she does not intend harm to the other dog. I have watched her interaction with dogs from tiny breeds to three and four times her own size. She likes to see if she can get a game going. If she finds that she can intimidate the other dogs, she thinks that is fun too. This little girl had a one hundred pound malamute running to me for protection from the pestering she gave him. In spite of the blood chilling language and non-contact snapping he was giving her, she wouldn't stop. (I have seen this malamute effortlessly throw my own one hundred thirty pound malamute on his back). She did not hurt him in the least.

Koli played very well with a slightly larger malamute. They ran and wrestled all across the yard. When either of them got too rough, he or she was informed by voice or movement. Neither of them tried getting even. While Koli was playing with a somewhat smaller dog she moderated her force very well to what that dog could deal with. They had a grand time. An uniformed observer may wonder if Koli is fighting. She is one of those dogs who employs lots of theatrics in her play. Most dogs have very active imaginations.

She also tried playing with what may be a Yorki. This is where the school yard bull thing really presented. Koli was mouthing the tiny dog as if to pick it up. I am confident that she had no wish to harm the little one but even a sleight wrong move could have a sorry result. The worst thing this wee guy experienced from Koli was a partially unintended body slam. Koli ran toward the kid and stopped a step too late, knocking him over. I believe that with experience and guidance Koli would moderate herself around tiny dogs.

In play Koli is sometimes load, but far and away most of the time she is silent Other than in play when she talks the statements are pleasant and very cute. Koli is not destructive and seems not to be much of a digger. She is a very easy and enjoyable dog to live with.

S.O. and i took Koli on a walk this fine Michigan afternoon. We ran into many dogs on our walk and Koli did beautifully! Even some dogs that were loose in their yard. A black Lab that she had some bad encounters with in the past and a yellow Lab puppy. She never once tried hurting them.

I had felt confident enough that i didn't even have her on the Halti for this walk.

As we got near home there was another dog she was quite insistent about going to see, but she never once showed aggression towards it.

All in all i feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. For the first time i wasn't so stressed while walking her. It wasn't a chore like usual. It was actually leisure and i enjoyed myself!

Koli sounds delightful. Her personality sounds alot lke my Star, playful, assertive, not intimidated by size, gentle with small creatures, both canine & human...curious & fun living. Anyone interested in adopting her yet?

LOL... but she's sure not gentle with non-human small creatures. :-/ She needs time to learn.

We've had many replies finally, but mostly homes that weren't a good match.

Both that we were highly considering have fallen through.

The first one from a few months ago their eldest daughter was found to be terrified of big dogs.

The second home i just heard from last night. Their seven year old Malamute had a freak accident and surgery couldn't save her. They tried. So I completely understand that their hearts are not in to adopting another one right now.

There was another home that sounded halfway decent. I might give them another call. They don't have a fenced in yard and it really is a must with Koli. We had been discussing the possibility of them putting in fencing.

Other than that though... ehhhh. Sorry, I'm not adopting her to someone who works 14 hour shifts, lives in an apartment, and only plans on exercising her by taking her to the park once a week. Oh, and said person only wants a Husky because they are so pretty, no past experience with them; not even talking to other husky owners. o.O ...Sorry, just a bit of venting i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    Koli sounds delightful. Her personality sounds alot lke my Star, playful, assertive, not intimidated by size, gentle with small creatures, both canine & human...curious & fun living. Anyone interested in adopting her yet?

Quote Originally Posted by crow_noir
    Other than that though... ehhhh. Sorry, I'm not adopting her to someone who works 14 hour shifts, lives in an apartment, and only plans on exercising her by taking her to the park once a week. Oh, and said person only wants a Husky because they are so pretty, no past experience with them; not even talking to other husky owners. o.O ...Sorry, just a bit of venting i guess.
    I understand completely! I always talk to people that casually say "I'd like to get a husky someday, they're sooooo beautiful!" and encourage them to find out all they can. Of course, by the time I mention their Houdini tactics, major digging, need for constant companionship & something to do, blowing coat a couple times a year, what wonderful hunters they are, and mention that if you have cats, you might reconsider.... LOL!

My biggest issue is how much exercise they need. I couldn't stress it enough. They are only escape artists because they are compulsive runners. LOL... they can't help it though... I have a secret. Shhh... That's what they were bred to do! *mock gasp*

As far as blowing coat. HA!!! My shepherd shed five times as much. What she sheds in a month he shed in four to six days! ...and his coat and skin were MUCH healthier than hers. (I'm still learning about nutrition for her.) If people are complaining about how much Northern breeds shed i really do have to laugh. As far as that goes keeping our house clean has been a cinch.

Thanks for the shoulder to lean on though.

People always wanted a dog like King and said they'd be the first ones to want a pup if i ever did breed him. I warned them that his linage was rather clingy and needy. He was so well behaved they didn't notice. ...Until they agreed to watch him when we went on vacation. LOL. All but one family quickly changed their minds. Said he was great, but realized they would never have the time and commitment for one of his pups. (I was quite grateful they all came to that decision on their own because i didn't know how i could tell friends and family they weren't qualified for one of these Shepherds.)

It's so hard telling people they just aren't right for a particular dog while making them realize it isn't a personal insult. (And then there are others where they aren't fit to take care of a pet rock... but you're not about to tell them that.)

Meanwhile you find all these other GREAT pet owners while out and about... But where are they when you're trying to adopt out "this" lovely?!

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    I understand completely! I always talk to people that casually say "I'd like to get a husky someday, they're sooooo beautiful!" and encourage them to find out all they can. Of course, by the time I mention their Houdini tactics, major digging, need for constant companionship & something to do, blowing coat a couple times a year, what wonderful hunters they are, and mention that if you have cats, you might reconsider.... LOL!
    Yay! 1000 page views! Thanks everyone for your interest in Koli! :- D ^o.o^_])

Koli recently got invited to her first adoption day meet and greet. The rescue was nice enough to take a photo of Koli for T.A.K.

Sorry that this is her only new photo in months.

I hope she's found a wonderful home soon!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

New photos.

I don't know why what last photo is no longer showing up, but it is there. So I'm just going to give you a link to a different page and am going to start hosting the majority over there instead of on her Yahoo page.

www.care2.com/c2c/photos/view/183/673395732/Koli_001/

That last photo was " A good day to be out."

The newest ones are of her playing with a new friend. He's a 6yr. old Mal. This is at the temp-fosterer's place (who is kind enough to watch her until i'm feeling better.) Lucky gal! He has plans for them almost every single day. I wonder if he knows that some kennels (doggy hotels) charge about $200 per day for the 'services' he does for the dogs in his care? (Not to mention the photos and email updates!) She gets to have all the fun while I'm stuck home in bed. Oh well. It's so nice not having to worry about her while I'm here. (Same person that we were doing the socializing with.)

Quote Originally Posted by crow_noir
    Koli recently got invited to her first adoption day meet and greet. The rescue was nice enough to take a photo of Koli for T.A.K.

http://f9g.yahoofs.com/groups/g_1913...Y7dJGBE6w4PEXn

Sorry that this is her only new photo in months.
    Happy 1,500 page views Koli!

The other fosterer sent me an update to post online.

"Koli headed for Lansing on May 26. We were intending to introduce her to lots of people at the pet food stores. Koli is such a dandy little girl, everyone liked her and she was so gentle with everyone. The part she liked so much was meeting everyone else's dogs. She is so used to meeting dogs now that she asks them if they want to play. A few months ago Koli would just expect that other dogs wanted to wrestle with her and go at them with lots of energy. Some dogs would tell her that she was rude. All she needed was time with a patient dog to learn better etiquette.

We didn't get to as many stores as we had intended on Saturday. While passing East Lansing we saw lots of people with kids and some with dogs too. It was Odyssey of the Mind day. Koli met so many people and little kids. Some of the kids ran up to Koli excitedly asking if she is a "snow dog". Koli was glad to be so famous even if she wasn't an actor. It sure was nice seeing how grandly she handled the public relations. She did as well as the most skilled professionals.

Koli would have liked to run and play with the dogs she met but she settled for that bit of folly that a dog on leash may have. Koli did her best begging but she only got little bits of the treats some of the people were eating. Everyone who gave her treats was impressed at how exceedingly gently she accepted the tidbit. This little girl walked the MSU campus for more than 2 hours. From start to finish, Koli made us proud.

Koli has been in foster care a long time. If any of you have walked through an animal shelter you know that their are lots of pets that need help. Animal shelters can not keep animals forever. Rescues can only help those pets for whom there is space. Koli needs a home of her own so some other dog can be helped.

Koli is a very nice companion and play mate. (Of course, when children are around her, an adult ought to be supervising. Even as children sometimes play too roughly, so too may Koli get caught up in the excitement. That said, she would feel genuinely bad if she hurt a person). She is a settled little girl and on walks only pulls moderately once in a while. Koli is a very good looking kid and is usually quiet. She has many endearing ways about her. She is a worthwhile dog to get to know.
    "