Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malamute or Husky for adoption in MI

Malamute or Husky for adoption in MI

There is a dog i've been helping to try to re-home. She has even been placed on Petfinder classifieds. In two months only two people have wrote in about her. One was looking for her lost Husky, the other was almost certainly a scammer evading most of the questions asked of her.

Koli is in Bay County, MI. Spayed. You may contact her legal guardian at earthfirenospam*ATsymbol*nomadinter.net for an application or to ask questions. (She's pretty much a group effort rescue by no one charity or individual.)

At this point outside help is welcomed. "Does anyone know of some trustworthy northern breed rescues from around the state that could be contacted? Currently I'm waiting to hear back from a friend who knows a breeder (whom I've met in the past) that might help with the rescue. (I'd trust this friend with my life and know where they stand on how animals should be treated, so i'm not worried.)"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Koli is a three to five year old Malamute or Husky, possibly a mix. Black and white. About 50lbs. Stocky build. She was a stray picked up by the animal control so I know nothing of her background. I’ve been fostering her to find out about her personality. She is very loving to humans and somewhat submissive. She is very intelligent and a quick learner. She seems to understand almost every sentence you can utter. Seems to be OK with kids. She has a VERY high prey drive though so she won’t be going to a home with small children. She has been very successful in her hunts. She *might* be OK with birds, but I can’t guarantee that. She currently is afraid of other dogs and to counter that attacks them. We are working on this with her and we are enrolled in an obedience class. She needs lots of exercise and will run and not come back when you call her so she’ll need a securely fenced yard. She would LOVE a jogging partner or possibly someone experienced in working with her breed to give her a job to do. She enjoys being outside very much but also strives for the companionship and security the indoors offers. She is happiest when she gets to enjoy both on and off for a few hours at a time. (Two to four hours here, then there.) She would like someone that wants to share both worlds with her. (She does know how to get into trouble alone outside, but seems to be a well mannered house dog.) She seems to be house broken and when she chooses a spot to use outside she’ll return to that one spot if you clean it daily. Also, she is not for someone who wants a beautiful lawn. She is a turf thrower when she’s done going potty. And a turf thrower she is!

Update Nov. 14th, 2006: I might consider adopting Koli to people with small animals after all. They must understand the risk they’d be taking though and understand the commitment involved. She has shown a lot of self control the past few days in not going after the squirrels; even when I encouraged her to one time (she declined and instead asked to go inside for a treat.) Also, after reading my ad I realize I hardly described her as the cute and fuzzy lovable dog I fell in love with at the pound. She is a great cuddle bug and gives warm soft kisses on occasion when they mean something. She also knows when you are hurt most of the time and will see what she can do to help. She feels really bad if she was the one to cause the pain. (We get a bit riled up during play. One time she ran over my hand to chase a ball and she was already turning around by the time the “Owe” even escaped me.) She takes treats really gentle and is not food aggressive. I can put my hand right in her bowl (to make sure she doesn’t forget I do this once a week.) She was protective of her fresh kills though, but I wouldn’t have expected less. It wasn’t even so protective that I felt I had anything to worry about (I would have been worried though if it had been a child going up to her.) Her nose is a counter surfer, but her tongue and fangs don’t follow :- ) (Then again she knows I’ll give her some if she waits long enough.) We’ve had no incidents with her going in the trash, but I wouldn’t put it past her. I definitely have to say that she is house trained. She was sick this past week (my fault) and was able to make it out each time. She continues to not get into anything around the house that isn’t given to her.

More than likely I will not do out of state adoptions. For the right person, the surrounding states might be considered.

Process:
    Read over the dog’s description (and requirements.) Talk with family members and see if they think she’ll fit into your lifestyle. Does everyone agree? Fill out the application and email it to me. If I approve, you can then come meet her with your ENTIRE family. I’ll think it over and get back to you in a few days. I’ll send you a copy of the adoption contract. If you think you can agree to the terms then we’ll then come do a home visit. This does not guarantee that she is yours! Her wellbeing and happiness is my priority. I am going to take my time in deciding. I will keep your application on file. When and if I decide that you are a great match, I’ll have you sign the adoption contract on the day we turn her over to you.

Requirements for adopting this dog:
    You must fill out an adoption application.
    You must be willing to sign the adoption contract and adhere to all of the statements with in.
    You must be at least 18 years of age.
    You must be able to financially care for this dog as with in the terms set forth by the contract and with in accordance to local guidelines.
    Your WHOLE household must agree to this adoption.
    Written permission from landlord if you are renting.
    Give references with which you have received their permission for me to contact them.
    Realize that this is a commitment for the natural life of this dog.
    Be willing for me to do a home check on this dog at least annually (there'll be a few in the first year,) for the rest of the dog’s natural life. Be willing to release the dog back to me if I think it is living in substandard care.
    Commit to exercising this dog every day.
    Are not going to use it for fighting or as a bait dog.
    This dog will NOT be adopted to a college setting. (Such as dorms or a frat house.)
    Last edited by crow_noir; 11-17-2006 at 12:11 AM. Reason: typo

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

More Info...

"Update Nov. 24th, 2006: Koli now has her own webpage on Yahoo! Groups and Geocities. There is much work to be done on them yet, but it should make everything a bit more user friendly. I know the application was a nightmare to read on Petfinder (the reason why I switched to having people email me for it.) Y!Group will have updates and such. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/adopt_koli/ The application is now online so anyone can see it. http://www.geocities.com/adopt_koli/adopt_koli_app.html You may still contact me at the old email, but it’s been having problems. The new email is [email protected] I may not check it as often, but your mail is less likely to get bounced, and vice versa. Also, some of Koli’s original rescuers may be getting on board and able to help answer emails too.

Update Nov. 24th, 2006 II: I forgot to mention; I’ve been training her with hand signals as well as voice."

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Pictures!

PICTURES are finally here!!!

The adopt Koli board ( http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/adopt_koli/ ) is having problems so i'll post the message here. One can be seen on the front page though.

"Finally got the pictures developed! Yay! And finally got the scanner
    to work. (Not a full fix, but we worked around the problems.)

Sorry, but due to the limitations of the security settings only people
    who join the board can see the pictures. I'd change this if I could.

Please join and see what Koli looks like! Hope you enjoy!

If you don't want to join, feel free to email us
    and we'll see what we can do about emailing you a photo or two."

[email protected]

Update: Tip: I found that if it says folder is unavailable, hit refresh and the photos will usually show up.
    Last edited by crow_noir; 12-04-2006 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Update

Aww, she sounds wonderful. Is she getting any better with other dogs?

My best suggestion would be to contact a few malamute/husky/arctic dog rescues with her story and ask if they would be able to post her on their site. Might attract some better attention.

We really haven't had much time to work with her on the other thing. Her next schedualed class is this next weekend and we're going to be out of state. Since i'm the one who signed her up I'm the only one who can take her since no one else took the first class. The dog park we like going to (for better quality of people and dogs,) is about 45 minutes away. We need to get her a new muzzle because the cloth one is just plain simply crule for such a thick furred creature. We had to take her back to the car every 15 minutes so she could cool down. It was almost useless. (I use a Halti at the class. ...much better. Just won't work for proper socializing at the park.) (There are no basket style muzzles around here for sale at all. I've searched high and low. ) Since last weekend when she slipped past me and ran a few blocks away and attacked a Jack Russel we haven't had any encounters with other dogs. (The Jack was fine, but my heart was ready to explode. Koli looks vicious, but i think it's mostly for show when she does that. ) ( In these past few months i've met a LOT of new neighbors and people more understanding than i could ever hope to be. If i were them i'd be swearing and cussing, and lecturing me... maybe there's a lesson to be had from all of this. )

I have contacted just about all the Sibe and Malamute rescues in the Great Lakes area. I've only had one contact me back... and their answer was a NO. That's why i'm so frustrated. I'd like at least for just about any local (With in 30 minutes) rescue to list her on the main Petfinder for me. I'm thinking of asking again nicely. I have had one volunteer to a rescue about an hour away take a packet of her info and she's agreed to keep any eye out for a good family. (We've talked with them over the years. We adopted a cat from them, and they got to see our dog the times we took him to the store with us. ...So they kind of already knew us on a bit more of a personal level.)

Quote Originally Posted by areias
    Aww, she sounds wonderful. Is she getting any better with other dogs?

My best suggestion would be to contact a few malamute/husky/arctic dog rescues with her story and ask if they would be able to post her on their site. Might attract some better attention.

Guess what?! ...

Koli finally was given a spot on the main Petfinder site!

search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7479441

Normally it doesn't look like she has a mustache, but the camera loved it!

Ugh! Yahoo! Mail Problems...

Something is going on with Yahoo Mail. I'll get an alert saying we
    have new mail, but when I check there is none. This has happened
    twice. Thankfully I was expecting it one of those times and knew who
    to write back to and had another way to reach them. If you don't hear
    back from us with in 24 hours, try to reach us at
    earthfirenospam*AT*nomadinter.net (replace the *AT* with a @ of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by crow_noir
    At this point outside help is welcomed. "Does anyone know of some trustworthy northern breed rescues from around the state that could be contacted?
    Check with the people at Adopt-A-Husky. They do alot of rescue work in your state & the surrounding area. There is also the Northern Ohio Siberian Husky Rescue. They are near the MI border. Both rescues have websites. She's a beautiful girl, I hope she finds a good home.

I'll check with the one in Ohio. We already wrote to AdoptAHusky, but haven't heard back from them. I think it's problems with the other email address. We were going to write back to the rescues we hadn't heard from by this week through the Yahoo mail, but we've only received one non-Yahoo-service related email. Still waiting to hear back from them. Got one form mail saying i'd be contacted. Finally got a response... another form letter saying someone will reach me soon. They are busy revamping in the name of progress. *sigh* (What, progressing towards being AOL? ...Hey, i've heard the horror stories from about 50 different people that use AOL email. I'm not ripping on it with out just cause.)

*sigh* We seem lost. If it's not one road block it's another.

Thanks Cyber Sibes!

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes
    Check with the people at Adopt-A-Husky. They do alot of rescue work in your state & the surrounding area. There is also the Northern Ohio Siberian Husky Rescue. They are near the MI border. Both rescues have websites. She's a beautiful girl, I hope she finds a good home.

The American Malamute Rescue League says they even have a list of people they try to match dogs to:

http://www.malamuterescue.com/rescue.html

Use this one...

Oyh! Here we go again. Hopefully there'll be no more moving after this. How are we ever to expect any replies if we keep changing the contact info. Team Adopt Koli now has a general email again.

"Update: Scratch all of that. Just made an account at Care2. Their email has been reliable in the past we're going to try it now. We figured it was better than waiting around and seeing if either server were going to get their act together. We're very sorry for the inconvenience. There will be a few pro-environment ads that come with the Care2 mail, but Care2 has a strict no Spam policy and can be counted on for security. The web pages mentioned previously are still in effect though! Here is the new email address and profile... [email protected] http://my.care2.com/adopt_koli "

???

This is the only rescue i could find with a similar name / NW Ohio Siberian Rescue . Is that the correct one?

Quote Originally Posted by cyber-sibes

Great News

GREAT NEWS!!! KOLI GOT HER FIRST TWO PHONE CALLS TODAY!!!

An ad was placed in a Midland newspaper. It started its run today, but they messed up on the email so i have to call them in the morning.

I can't list full details here of the events for privacy issues.

I got a call about 4P from a guy who read the ad.

Then about 7PM we get another call. His voice sounds exactly like the same guy, but then he starts talking about all this other stuff and that he lives near Detroit. Definitely someone else. Then he mentioned that he found the ad on Petfinder! {Of ALL things!!! The first day the ad runs in a tiny local paper someone replies to the Petfinder ad! Go figure! } Half an hour into the phone conversation and questions and answers his wife hopped on the internet and was filling out the application. (I didn't want to give opinions, but before you think we're jumping the gun i want to mention that they sound wonderful. Not a for sure thing, but we're not dismissing this possibility.)

I keep having to "check" myself as you would an over excited horse. Yes, they sound great; but we shouldn't be pushing Koli out the door either. (That's how one of the best kitties in the whole wide world ended up dead. :- ( *quivery lip* *WAH!!!* )

Wish me luck!

Oh, and I wanted to ask: Any advice on talking to their vets and other references? Questions that should be asked. Points that should be listened for?

If everything there checks out fine and a meeting and a home check and those turn out good, how long of a cooling period should we give them and ourselves? Would a week be fine for emotions to ease and logic to do its work?
    Last edited by crow_noir; 01-19-2007 at 12:59 AM. Reason: To celebrate passing 500 page views! Thank you everyone for looking!

That's good news, sounds promising. We adopted from a private kennel and had to wait a MONTH! (I kept hoping she wouldn't change her mind!) I don't know how long is usual for rescues, but a week sounds like it should give someone time to rethink & be sure.

BTW, yes, that is the Siberian Rescue I was thinkng of.

Bad News

I'm too emotionally drained to re-write this specifically for this forum so this will be a copy and paste.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11AM

This week has been an emotional roller coaster. It’s been almost two weeks since Koli got a call from a caring family who would take good care of her. This past Sunday we went and did a home check and meet & greet. At first the oldest child was scared, but by the end of the visit she was petting Koli and asking to give her treats. Monday the people were calling to see what we thought and to let us know that their eldest daughter was asking about Koli and where she was. Yesterday I called to let them know that my appointment had been cancelled and they could adopt her this weekend. (Yay!!!) Today i get the call that their oldest daughter is just too afraid of Koli. (Wah!!!)

By no fault of her own, Koli is no longer going to her forever home. She was absolutely wonderful around the children. If it wasn’t for the fact that irresponsible people and misbehaving kids exist in the world I’d take the “no small children” out of her ad in a heartbeat.

*sigh* *head in hands* I’ve been crying for the past two hours. I never thought i would say this about a dog aggressive dog, but she is such a sweetheart and so wonderful. She has the only qualities that i missed having in King (to consider him absolutely perfect.) She is very sensitive to your emotions and is a willing foot warmer. I’ve never known such a great cuddle bug.

I just mentally can’t handle her fear aggression towards other dogs. I’ve tried and i just can’t deal with it. I’m sure all she needs is time. Probably being separated from other dogs, but can get with in inches of them with a barrier in between. She only got exposed to other dogs in a controlled setting twice. The improvement she made with those two sessions was nothing short of amazing. Unfortunately the class was only once a month and is currently on hiatus.

If anyone knows someone that may be able to take her PLEASE let me know.

With a heavy heart I’m going to have to “let her go” soon.