Thread: Siezures

Siezures

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOUR DOG IS HAVING A SIEZURE? CAN YOU STOP IT?

Ask your vet. A dog having a seizure is a serious matter, the dog should see the vet first, and the vet will help you deal with the situation.

I agree, definately make an appt. with the vet. If the dog keeps getting them; there is medicine available that they can prescribe. My dog had seizures, so we had to give her 2 pills a day, everyday, for the rest of her life. She passed away, but not due to the seizures. My husbands dog also had seizures, due to being hit by a car...he too had to take this medicine.

If your dog has a siezure before you can get it to the vet, the best thing to do is lay it on the floor where it can not hurt itself or anything else by the thrashing around. There is nothing you can do to stop a siezure once it starts but the vet may be able to give you medicine that can control or even prevent the siezures. I went through this many times with a dog I owned once. My vet said the siezures looked worse than they were and the animal is not really in pain while they are happening. They are unaware of what is happening. Good Luck. Please tell us what your vet says.
    Last edited by momoffuzzyfaces; 05-29-2002 at 05:31 PM.

Yes, the medicine is phenobarbatol. <sp>
    "It can't rain all the time." -Eric Draven
    "If you have words, you have power." -Brian

When I took Presley in for seizures my vet told me to not let her be around florescent lights as they can bring on a seizure. Also i was told to put Presley in a dark cool place where there was no noise. We don't know what caused her to have all the siezures she did and why they stopped.. She was given valium to help calm her when she would have them though.

thanx!!! we took her to the vet where he siad she had "mild" seizures and would have to take some medicine but not that much since they wern't bad!! thanx 4 your help!!

Which dog is it that has the seizures? Boy, you have your hands full, don't you? A blind dog, a dog with arthritis and a dog with seizures. How do you handle it all? I'm glad the seizures are only minor. I'm keeping your doggies in my thoughts and prayers.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

MY RAT TERRIER, LEILANI.
    AMY IS HTE BLIND ONE.
    GIR;LIE IS THE ARTHRITUS DOG!