Thread: Do you give your cats heartworm preventative?

Do you give your cats heartworm preventative?

I was just wondering how many people give their cats heartworm meds. I never have before, but I'm starting to wonder if I should. Thanks for your help!

I have not given Fister any, but I'll certainly ask my vet about it.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I don't because my cats are indoor only. If they went outside I probably would because I live in the south with lots of mosquitoes.

On the other hand, my Dad's cat is indoor/outdoor and she doesn't take it and hasn't had any problems.

From Decker with Love

Never!
    I wonder if Tubby 2 who was an outdoor Cat , could have used those tablets?
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I give all 5 of mine Heartgard for cats each month in the summer (mostly because they travel with me, and I take them for walks outside on the leash). Getting them to eat it does require bribing with tuna fish.

However if you are concerned about yours, Revolution is a topical liquid applied to the skin on the back of the neck once a month, it kills fleas, and roundworms, prevents heartworm AND treats earmites!! For an outside cat especially it's a great product. The only reason I don't use it, is that my cats are exposed to ticks and it's cheaper for me (at our hospital anyways) to use the Frontline Plus AND Heartgard rather than Revolution.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat
    I don't because my cats are indoor only. If they went outside I probably would because I live in the south with lots of mosquitoes.

On the other hand, my Dad's cat is indoor/outdoor and she doesn't take it and hasn't had any problems.
    My two are indoor only too, and I've never had a problem. I guess I was thinking that I give Roscoe the preventative meds but not the kitties, so I kind of felt bad, like I'm not taking care of them. I'm not sure of that even makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR
    My two are indoor only too, and I've never had a problem. I guess I was thinking that I give Roscoe the preventative meds but not the kitties, so I kind of felt bad, like I'm not taking care of them. I'm not sure of that even makes sense...
    I always gave my dog heartworm medication since she went outside to potty and play. If your cats are indoor only don't worry about it they should be fine. Don't feel guilty.

From Decker with Love

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat
    I always gave my dog heartworm medication since she went outside to potty and play. If your cats are indoor only don't worry about it they should be fine. Don't feel guilty.
    Thank you, I do feel better