Thread: Hiking with Heyoka

Hiking with Heyoka

This is my last chance to post pictures for at least a week. I'm going away tomorrow. So I've decided to hog the board a bit!
    Sunday morning we hiked into an abandoned copper mine. I'll post the scenery pics in general. Heyoka got to come along for the day. He's a pretty good bush dog.

His ear is not floppy, he was flicking a black fly away. They are awful this time of year!

Debating how thirsty he really is. There was a creek at the bottom of this hill. He eventually decided that a drink and a swim was worth the climb back up.

Heyoka lacks several typical malamute traits, including not being good off-leash. He's amazing and never goes far from us.

When he does go exploring, he comes back with a simple whistle command.

He even tried to help dig some rocks out for us! Such a good boy!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Looks like fun! Heyoka looks like he loves hiking.

Yes, I think he looks like he would make a great hiking partner. Good boy, Heyoka.

Good boy, Heyoka, what a sweetheart he is! Awesome scenery, Tamara. Enjoy your trip!

Glacier, Your pictures are always so beautiful!!!! WOW!!!!!!!

That third one was breath taking!!!! Overlooking the beautiful trees tops far below and beyond!!!!

Heyoka is such a wonderful dog as well. Enjoy your week ahead.

gorgeous pics!! Heyoka is a handsome boy, looks like he had a blast

He's sure a handsome boy! It looks like he had fun on that hike. I heard that people should never let Huskies or Malamutes off leash because they're one of those dogs who follow their sight or nose (can't remember ), is that true? It doesn't look like Heyoka is running off.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Tamara .................. I almost missed them.

Hello darlin ...........
    You sure are such a good boy.
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Quote Originally Posted by zoomer
    I heard that people should never let Huskies or Malamutes off leash because they're one of those dogs who follow their sight or nose (can't remember ), is that true? It doesn't look like Heyoka is running off.
    Yes, it's true. The vast majority of huskies and malamutes can never, ever be trusted off leash. They will vanish into the mist forever. They follow neither their nose or their eyes. They run for the pure joy of running, simply because they can. Heyoka's recall is extremely rare in Malamutes. I've never met another one who was as reliable as he is.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Heyoka is a handsome boy! Wow, off leash, I sure do envy you. Such a good boy, Heyoka! Well, I for one am glad you are posting lots of pictures. This is getting my morning off to a great start.

Perhaps Heyoka knows that if he's a good boy and comes back when called that he will get to go on great adventures.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21