Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm back from Greece!!! With **59** pics!!!

I'm back from Greece!!! With **59** pics!!!

Hello again Pet Talk!

I've had a spectacular holiday in Halkidiki in Eastern Greece, we stayed in a fabulous hotel well worth its five stars and we went on some really great trips out too. Of course, as requested, I've had my camera out quite a bit so I hope you all like these pics, there are 59 in total so it's going to take me a while to post them all but I really hope you enjoy them! So, without further ado, picture number 1:

Starting with the hotel, this was the view of the pool from our room

My dad and my brother playing volleyball in the pool

The hotel was beachfront, so here is the beach

And another

The view across the bay from the main balcony

My brother and I getting ready for a 'doughnut' ride. I don't know why our expressions look so moody, LOL

Starting the doughnut ride

Lots more to come.....

Zimbabwe 07/13

Whilst my brother and I were swimming in the sea, we came across a little fish that was swimming quite slowly near the surface. My brother caught it in his bare hands and put it in a bucket where we had a look at it. We saw that it had been attacked by something, its tail and left fin were missing. We felt sorry for the fish, and set it free in a small inlet amongst the rocks where it would be safe-ish from another attack. We called the little guy 'Victor' as he had a victory over the predator

I decided to do something a bit different this holiday, so I went on a parachute ride! This is the bay where it began

Then I had to get strapped in (yes I am there, behind the big white thing )

Going up...

Higher and higher...

That little speck is me!

Coming back down again

Plenty more on their way...

Zimbabwe 07/13

Finally getting my feet back on a hard surface. It is such an amazing experience, I would recommend it to anyone. It's not scary in the slightest, you just get the great feeling of floating in the air and taking in the lovely scenery

One morning, we got up quite early, and got the chance to see this beautiful Greek sunrise from our room

Sorry this didn't come out to well, but this is a 'Greek night', with traditional Greek dancing and food

OK, that's all the hotel pics, now for some more interesting ones
    This was the local town, Kalithea, which was very quaint

We went on a trip to Thessaloniki, Greece's second largest city. This is the view from across the harbour

This is the 'White Tower', a main point of Thessaloniki. However, nowadays it isn't all that white!

Lots more coming!

Zimbabwe 07/13

My brother

A park in central Thessaloniki

Ancient ruins down a main street in Thessaloniki

My brother and I in a restaurant

The view of Thessaloniki from the Acropolis, the highest point of the city

Wine caskets from ancient times in the Thessaloniki museum

Ancient statue and pillars

Absolutely loads more....

Zimbabwe 07/13

The museum was filled with much ancient handicraft, this was probably made for a rich Greek citizen well over 2000 years ago

A stone depiction of a family

Another statue

We also went on a boat trip around the three peninsulas of Halkidiki, mainly to see the third peninsula which is home to Mount Athos. This is a view of the bay we set off from

Cruising away from the shore

My brother on the boat

My mum and my brother on the top deck, with my brother's weird expression

More are on their way...

Zimbabwe 07/13

Mount Athos itself, with a beautiful river valley running down it

A monastery on Mount Athos. Monks have inhabited this peninsula for hundreds of years, and they still live here in complete isolation from the rest of the world

The town of Ouranopolis, where we stopped for a rest

Another trip we went on was to a waterpark, nothing too exciting about this but thought I'd include it anyway
    My mum in the pool

My brother just landing in the water

My dad coming down the slide

The larger slides, my brother went on the white ones many times and came down like a bullet! He has no fear.

Zimbabwe 07/13

This is the entrnce to the tombs of ancient Macedonian kings, the most famous of which is Philip II. Cameras were not allowed inside the tombs, so unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that to show you, however, it was very interesting and the museum also below has plenty of information about the times of Alexander the Great.

We also visited a greek winery, this is the cellar where the wine matures

And these are the huge wine storage tanks where the wine is kept before bottling

The winery was filled with cats to keep the mouse and rat population down, this little beauty posed nicely for the camera

And it turned out, she had a kitten. This little guy was so cute, I watched him chasing and catching an imaginary mouse for about 5 minutes instead of listening to the information the guide was giving us

The final trip we went on was to the waterfalls of Edessa, the highest waterfalls in Greece.

The view over the hills from the top of the waterfall

Still a few more to come...

Zimbabwe 07/13

Another view

Closer to the waterfall, you could feel the spray from at least 50m away and 10m up from where the plungepool was

Behind the waterfall

This was supposed to be another landscape picture, but my brother decided to stick his head into it just as I pressed the button

My brother getting soaked at the bottom of the waterfall

The top of the waterfall

Another slightly smaller waterfall

Last few pics in next post

Zimbabwe 07/13

A beautiful 'water garden' view from the small restaurant at Edessa. That calm water doesn't look as if it's about to plunge down the waterfall!

My brother in the restaurant (sorry to have so many pics of my brother )

Some of the wonderfully shaped-rocks carved by the waterfall

And last but not least... yep, that's a cat. He sat in there just by the payment office!

That's it! I hope you enjoyed them. I would reccommend Halkidiki as a very relaxing and a pleasant place to spend a fortnight.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Beautiful pictures, Zara! It looks like a wonderful vacation. I love the hotel and all the scenery, it's marvelous, every single picture was enjoyed here. I love the parachuting. But I thought you land in the water? I'm always offered to let me do it on trips but I chicken out. Anyway, sorry for blabbing, all the pics were wonderful!

Such a photogenic country! I also like it because there is always plenty of opporunity to photograph cats.

I'm glad you had such a good time.

Those are great photos!
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Thanks for sharing, looks like you guys had a great holiday. I'd love to visit there someday.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

What a wonderful trip- nature, culture and Greek kittys I'd like to go right now

What wonderful pics and a very informative tour guide (you). Thanks for sharing your experience & a bit of history. You sure are lucky to be able to experience such things.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.