Thread: Hmmm... trying to choose the right dog

Hmmm... trying to choose the right dog

My mom and I are trying to find the perfect dog for us. We live in a small apartment with 4 cats. We are looking for a small dog and can't handle much grooming or barking. A short haired one. We do not want a pro groomer. A dog that does not need much excersize and can use a litter box on occasion would be perfect. Can you help us choose the right dog?

Well... I think Chihuahuas bark too much. Maybe a Toy Manchester Terrier? And maybe a standard but they are medium sized not small dogs. Toy Manchesters are the size of Chihuahuas and standards are about two times the toy one's size. I was thinking of a yorkie but they require very much hair care. There's not really a toy dog that doesn't bark Well, maybe a Norflok Terrier or a Dachshund???

Italian Greyhound,Boston Terrier,French bulldog,Pug? I'm not really sure,i'm sure otheres have better recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by sammy101
    Italian Greyhound,Boston Terrier,French bulldog,Pug? I'm not really sure,i'm sure otheres have better recommendations
    Nice ideas I think Italian Greyhound and Boston Terriers would be a great choice for you, April. French Bulldogs and Pugs sounds great for you, too!

go to http://www.petfinder.com and do a search.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Definately not a doxie. I think an italian greyhound would be a nice addition. They act like cats some people say, and if you do litter train it I don't see it having problems getting in and out of the box like would a pug or frenchie.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I'm thinking of a toy breed. Like a Chi or maybe a Maltese. Italian Greyhounds have very short hair and don't need much walks. Even big greyhounds dont need as much walks as thought to by most people.

Minature Yorkies are great my friend has one and she is a doll!!

I agree with the suggestions above... Italian Greyhound, Boston Terrier and French Bulldogs might be good breeds for you! Maybe a Chihuahua too?

Dachshunds are definitely a bad idea... Maybe they are short, but they need lots of exercise and attention... My Anita could never live in an apartment!

As Krista said, go to PetFinder and do a search there too!

Good luck finding the right dog!
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

If you like pugs I would suggest a pug....but do go loot on www.petfinder.com as someone else suggested...perhaps the perfect little Heinz-57 mutt is waiting for you...

Thank you Wolf_Q!

and yes look on petfinder! Like suggested by a few other people.