Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thor was rehomed...

Thor was rehomed...

Hi,

I haven't been posting much lately, I am in the middle of packing. I just wanted to let everyone know that I had to rehome my Rottweiler puppy. It was a stupid choice to adopt a Rotti, I have a toddler. I should have know that they are not recommended for toddlers - because of their size. Thor challenged Sierra to a fight - he raised his hackles, bared his teeth and put her in a corner. Luckily, I was sitting close by, or Sierra could have been seriously hurt, or killed. I was training Thor properly, teaching him that he is a subordinate, I guess he thought Sierra was lower in the pack than him. He was a great dog as long as Sierra wasn't around. She never hurt him, or teased him. She minded her own business. I should've thought that they are recommended to breed experienced people. The only dog I ever lived with was Buddy, a Golden.

Now, I love my daughter and want what is best for her, not me. She is my life, and she matters more to me than anyone, or anything. I don't want people to think I am a cruel person, but rather than keep Thor with *strict* rules, I decided to put him up for adoption. I am just happy that I saved him from the home he was born in. Thor went to a professional trainer who trained him and then found him a wonderful home. He now has kids over 12 and another dog to play with. It has been 4 months since I rehomed him.

Now, I am adopting a smaller dog for Sierra. This dog will be for life - no ifs, and or buts about it. She is the sister of the puppy my sister (The Cat Factory) is adopting. She is an ACD/Lab mix. It will be so much easier for me to train - when I had Thor I was in college for 4 hours a day, plus I live in an apartment. Thor is probably 120 pounds now, while the new puppy will be 45-50 pounds full grown. IF there is a time that I have to rehome the new puppy - which there never will be, I give you all permission to come and smack me in the head!

Now that I have gotten everyone all worked up - what is the best way to housebreak a puppy?

Thank you...

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Doing what is best for all is a good idea..as long as he got a good home , just be happy
    Puppy training for housebreaking?? Outside, lots of outside..lol..

I suppose I would take puppy out every 1-2 hours?

You have probably made up your mind with the pup but have you considered adopting an older dog, a rescue who is proven to be good with children and who is housetrained and more laid back? I just ask because a puppy of any breed is a handful and a young lab/ACD mix is going to be FULL of energy and hyperactivity, if not exercised, trained, and given LOTS of time and effort you could have behavioral problems on your hands again. Just something to think about.

edit to add: Taking the puppy out a lot is best, but especially ALWAYS after meals. Treat and praise when he/she goes outside and make a huge deal of it. Ignore accidents in the house that you find (just clean them up, don't scold the pup), if you see the pup in the middle of going simply whisk her outside and let her finish there, and give her lots of praise if she does so.
    Last edited by K9soul; 11-30-2005 at 11:07 AM. Reason: clarification
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

You did the right thing to rehome Thor, he was adorable, but rottis can be a challenge. Sounds like he got a great home.

Now, housebreaking....#1 - cover your floors with lots and lots of newspapers at night! Taking the puppy out after eating and every couple hours is good - take them to the same spot and choose a phrase like "go potty" (I use - "go pee") and repeat it regularly in that spot. When the dog does, praise it by name with that phrase " Good Spot! good potty! " or whatever you used. This will help the dog know what you mean and that this is a good thing. We did this with our 5-week old puppy and she caught on pretty quick. I've also heard you can keep them near you on a leash so you can quickly get them out when they assume the position, but you have to be quick!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Crate training is the only way I'll go with housebreaking. It worked wonders with both dogs I've done it with. The dog goes into the crate at night, and, any time it can't be supervised. Depending on the age of the dog, you'll need to take it out at night, every two hours. Make the biggest deal when they go potty outside, even treat them if you want. Try to avoid making a fuss when they potty inside. Negative attention is still attention. If you don't catch them in the act, definitely don't discipline. But, if you see him going potty inside, a firm no, then take him immediately outside. During the day, take him out all of the flippin' time! Especially after play and eating. And, when you're outside, and, he doesn't seem to want to go, sometimes running around a bit will get things going for the puppy. Good luck!

And, I think it sounds like Thor is in his perfect, forever home!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I'm really sorry to hear about that It's completely understandable. I don't think anyone on here is going to bash you for re-homing a dog who could have seriously hurt or killed your child.

I don't know that newspaper is a good idea, really. It works for some people, but the best training method for most is a crate. Newspaper will teach your dog that it is okay to go in the house and then, what do you think he will do if he sees a newspaper on the floor once he has been housetrained? Crating him at night will eliminate messes in the house. You need a crate that is big enough for him to stand up and turn around, but not big enough for him to potty at one end and sleep at the other. Dogs like to keep their den clean. Nova *never* went in her crate, not even the first night. I kept her crate by my bed and took her out during the night if she cried. During the day I took her out every 1-2 hours at first, and less after she had been here for a while. Just remember that a puppy can hold it for one hour more than it's age -- for instance, when your puppy is 2 months old he can hold it for 3 hours.

IMO you certainly did the right thing, you cannot have your daughters well being at stake, Thor will be just fine , and you will be at ease knowing that, good luck with the new pup.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    You have probably made up your mind with the pup but have you considered adopting an older dog, a rescue who is proven to be good with children and who is housetrained and more laid back? I just ask because a puppy of any breed is a handful and a young lab/ACD mix is going to be FULL of energy and hyperactivity, if not exercised, trained, and given LOTS of time and effort you could have behavioral problems on your hands again. Just something to think about.
    I was thinking tha same thing.
    Even though their size is fairly small their attitude can be very big. ACD's are not for everyone and mixed with a lab well thats a LOT of energy for a dog.

The hair lenght and color on the pupies reminds me of an Aussie or Border Collie, its longer than a lab or ACD would have so there is probably something else mixed in their too.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    I was thinking tha same thing.
    Even though their size is fairly small their attitude can be very big. ACD's are not for everyone and mixed with a lab well thats a LOT of energy for a dog.

The hair lenght and color on the pupies reminds me of an Aussie or Border Collie, its longer than a lab or ACD would have so there is probably something else mixed in their too.

Where did you see photos of the puppies? I must have totally missed something.

And, an Australian Cattle Dog and Lab mix, wow. They're smart, but, that doesn't mean they're going to be easier to train. They have so much energy, that's a heckuva mix to adopt. And, how is it that they know for sure how big the puppy is going to be? Labs can get pretty big. I hadn't really read the part about what kind of dog, until now...good luck if you really decide to get that particular puppy.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Where did you see photos of the puppies? I must have totally missed something.
    I posted a thread about them a few days ago

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=93742

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Factory
    I posted a thread about them a few days ago

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=93742
    Ah, ok, I figured that I must have missed it.

13. Awww.
    sorry about your Rott having to go.

but are you sure that an ACD mix is a good idea?
    ACDS were bred to herd... when they see something moving fast. the job that they were bred to do,, kicks in.. and the dog will try to herd it,, by chaseing it and nipping at it. would you like this to be your daughter?

when i was around 10 or something years old,, i was running around with my little cusion.. and the dog woudlnt leave us alone(she was an ADC) she tripped us,, and nipped us. she didnt 'bite us' just nipped us.. but it was hard enough to leave a huge bruses on my leg. but the at the time when she nipped me.. it didnt really hurt,, but the bruse itself hurt quite a bit.

but since your thinking of a mix bred dog... the herding instints may be tamed somewhat..
    whatever choise you make. the best of luck to both you and your kid.

The puppies mother is not like most ACD's that I have met. She is calm and friendly towards everybody - not at all aloof like they should be. I was told the mom is crossed with an Australian Shepherd, but she has short hair. I am aware of their energy needs, I have a park close by that will walk her to everyday. There is a baseball diamond that is fully fenced off that you can take your dogs in. I researched the breed before I made the decision to adopt her. Another good thing is that my sister will have her brother, so they can be raised together. I am a graduated veterinary assistant, so I have lots of knowledge about dogs. The herding instinct is not half as bad as the dominance that Rottis have. I would rather Sierra was nipped on the ankles then seriously bit. The mother herded Sierra gently, by nudging Sierras arm with her head.

I am an active person, I love going for walks at the park. I am home 24/7, so the puppy will never get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    And, how is it that they know for sure how big the puppy is going to be? Labs can get pretty big. I hadn't really read the part about what kind of dog, until now...good luck if you really decide to get that particular puppy.
    I am just making a guesstimate. Obviously the father was NOT a purebred lab. The female I am getting is no more than 2 pounds at 4 weeks. Her paws are smaller than my smallest cats' paws. She in tiny compared to the rest of the pups - she is the runt of the litter.