Thread: Can cats pick up the herpes simplex virus from humans?

Can cats pick up the herpes simplex virus from humans?

I'm just asking because I currently have a bad case of herpes simplex labialis; it's looks really awful and is painful. Now I do not dare to cuddle my cats, or even kiss them, because I don't want them to pick up the virus from me.

Does anyone know if this could happen? I hope not!

Kirsten

Wouldnt they have to have an open sore as well?
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

hmm...I don't think they can catch it, But I think if other people can get the virus if you touch the cats with an open sore, and they as well (other people) Now, I'm just guessing. Sorry

I'm in line for the 'world's most cold sores' award, and my cats have never gotten any.
    I can't give you a definitive answer though.

Hmmm, I hope you're right. I didn't find an answer on the internet either, so I guess they cannot get it from us, otherwise I would have found some warnings, I think.

Kirsten

I know it's very contagious human to human contact.
    I would call your doctor's office and ask them about human to animal contact. It beats guessing and worrying, you'll have an answer right away.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I don't think they can pick up cold sores, but they CAN pick up certain strains of colds and flu. Dille caught one from me sometime back and when I tok her to the vet, the vet told me that she likely caught it from me, cos' I still had a pretty good sniffle going when I took her.

Quote Originally Posted by Craftlady

My husband has never had a cold sore.

Originally Posted by Craftlady

Quote Originally Posted by rosethecopycat

My husband has never had a cold sore.
    See below article, I always try to back up a statement that I make with proof. Yes, it's contagious human to human contact.

Medical Encyclopedia: Herpes labialis (oral Herpes simplex)
    See link for rest of article/description. Adult subject matter in this article description.

URL of this page: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000606.htm

"Herpes viruses are contagious. Contact may occur directly, or through contact with infected razors, towels, dishes, and other shared articles."
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Kirsten i seriously doubt you could pass it on, but to be on the safe side, just don't kiss them right now, better safe than sorry or ask a doctor,it is highly contagious to other humans and once you have the virus you have it for life,it is the most common of viruses and if you have not got it you are darn lucky,i think it can be passed on in the early stages too when one does not really know they have it, that is why so many people end up with the virus, because you would not purposely kiss someone with it or let someone with it kiss you.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️