Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutting living expenses...

Cutting living expenses...

The experts tell us our costs are going up but wages will not match the increase. It would be to our advantage to cut $500 from our monthly family budget. This could go to pay increasing energy bills and save for upcoming deep economic recession in 2009.

Please tell us how your family is going to cut out $500 a month in spending.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    The experts tell us our costs are going up but wages will not match the increase. It would be to our advantage to cut $500 from our monthly family budget. This could go to pay increasing energy bills and save for upcoming deep economic recession in 2009.

Please tell us how your family is going to cut out $500 a month in spending.
    Take the biggest family member, put them in a burlap sack and take them to the river?

These comes from 'experts' who sit in a office earning 100k to ponder things they know nothing about.

Experts has the same number of letters as another word I like to use for idiots.

I can't even imagine how to cut back $500 a month. My utilities have gone up, my health insurance premiums have increased, the cost of groceries gets higher every month, my property taxes increased $200 a year, Puddy's subQ fluids went from $22 for 2 bags/lines/6 needles to $29 for the same amount of supplies, one med went from $34 to $48 a month for the cats, gas prices are skyrocketing. My income has stayed the same and I'm now looking for yet another job. Just where do these "experts" suggest I cut back? I'd really like to know. I only eat out on special occasion such as birthdays, etc. I hardly ever go to the movies any more. It's becoming more difficult to visit my son in L.A. because airline tickets are so expensive and the airline that I had perks on is no longer flying from Cleveland. Even a business conference that I've attended every year for several years is out of the question this year because it's an 8 1/2 hour drive and the gas expense would be ridiculous, not to mention hotel accommodations, meals, etc. If I think about it for too long, I get panicky, so I try to just stay on track w/positive affirmations and tell myself that I've been ok this far in life so I need to keep the faith. I feel like I'm no longer living but just existing. This is not where I thought I would be at this time in my life.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Hmmmmmm.....cut $500 from my spending. That's insane....unless I quit drinking.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Interesting. I was thinking of increasing my alcohol intake. W/prices the way they are, I don't drink nearly enough!
    Blessings,
    Mary

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    How much does your cable TV, internet connection and cell phone bill come to each month?

Probably not $500, but those would be the things I would cut first.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I just canceled my motorcycle insurance and I'm going to non-op it for awhile.

Oh, and I just got my tubes tied. Should save me LOTS of money in the long run!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    How much does your cable TV, internet connection and cell phone bill come to each month?

Probably not $500, but those would be the things I would cut first.
    I suppose most people could do w/out cable TV but we need some type of entertainment; at least I do. The stuff on network TV is mostly reality shows now and who can bear that? Cell phone, sure. Internet, no. I need it for my business, as do a lot of people. Most of us could cut these things out but why should we? We work hard in order to pay for modern conveniences, then have to give them up? It's maddening.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Well, it's just me and Cassie at our house, so I hope we wouldn't have to cut $500 per month. I didn't register for my annual summer singing 'gig' - 20 miles each way for 5 rehearsals and the concert, so I figure that will save around $10 a week in gas and tolls. I can't get rid of cable TV because if I do that, I'll have no reception at all. I could - and should - start bringing my lunch to work more. I've switched some of the light bulbs in my house to CFLs - I'm just changing them all over as the fluorescent bulbs burn out. I hope that will pay off eventually. Sorry, Hallmark, but I'm purchasing greeting cards at the Party Outlet, where they are either 49 or 99 cents. I need to have my auto insurance looked at again, too. My car has 73,000 miles (it's an '02 and I am hoping to get one more year out of it), so I'm sure it's over-insured.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Ok, maybe I could cut $50. but that's it! We don't go out, I don't tan, don't get my hair done, (I cut mine and hubby's hair)don't have nails to get done because they're worn to the bone from work where I get very small pay raises every few years and my insurance just keep taking that.Oh and the one luxury we do have is our favorite pizza once a month, that just went up in price also. I guess I could cut back a bit on the $$$ I spend on my furkids and fish.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy View Post
    We don't go out, I don't tan, don't get my hair done, (I cut mine and hubby's hair)don't have nails to get done
    I consider these to be luxuries. Ok, maybe not the tanning and nails but hair? I can't even cut my own toenails (kidding). I can't imagine cutting my own hair. Some people are talented that way, I know, but I'm not one of them. I'm too bloody old to wear long hair. The people that I feel the most compassion for are the elderly and young people, especially those trying to raise a family. How in the world can they afford to take the kids to a ball game or an amusement park? Sure, we can always find things to do at home but life is meant to be LIVED WITH ENJOYMENT and that includes an occasional luxury and some good times where we're not always pinching pennies and having buyers' remorse because we splurged on a good meal or a new pair of shoes. Imagine the young teenager who's been looking forward to the day when s/he gets a drivers' license and asks the parents if s/he can take the car for the evening. Standard answer used to be "Make sure you fill the tank". How can the average teenager do that? Does s/he have an extra $50 or so for that plus the expense of dating? How can they afford the car insurance? I'm sorry to rant but it's just infuriating that we have to freeze in the winter, sweat in the summer, stay home because we can't afford to go anywhere and now that we're staying home, they want us to cut back on things that would ordinarily keep us sane until conditions improve!
    Blessings,
    Mary

Interesting answers so far.. I love this one!
    I already have went just about bare bones due to how I work. I only have basic cable and DSL light because of how much I am gone. I see no sense is having the best of the best since I think of it as me paying twice as much for the months I do use these services. My house phone is just plain Jane basic service too.

I have worked extra hard these last 5 or so years to get everything paid off so when I retire, I will be debt free and I been stashing everything I can into savings so I can get myself set up on private property like I want, porches for the kitties and me, a roof built over the house, ect..

Now, I am even wondering if I will be able to retire when I wanted to. I just find it odd that this is hitting just when it is time for us baby boomers to start retiring, God help the ones that already have! Our retirement will not have the "umph" we thought it would.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I could cut about $300 a month if I found a job closer to home (gas). BUT..I am lazy! I look.....sorta. I do get my nails done, but that will go away only if it means I have to live in a box in the alley. My hair only gets done about 2 or 3 times a year, and my hairdresser is also a friend so he gives me great rates. If Bruce didn't work from home we'd save on energy bills (cooling and heating the house all day).
    There are many ways we can save and we will probably end up doing them here soon.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I suppose most people could do w/out cable TV but we need some type of entertainment; at least I do. The stuff on network TV is mostly reality shows now and who can bear that? Cell phone, sure. Internet, no. I need it for my business, as do a lot of people. Most of us could cut these things out but why should we? We work hard in order to pay for modern conveniences, then have to give them up? It's maddening.
    Nobody's saying you should have to give them up. But, if it's a choice between feeding my kids/pets or entertainment, I'll choose to give up entertainment.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    The experts tell us . . . to cut $500 from our monthly family budget.
    Per MONTH??? That is a bit over 25%! I'm not sure I can come even close to it. I already have a bare bones budget, to make sure Dad has things easy, gets everything he wants and needs with no hassle. He's worked for it, Lord knows, putting up with, raising my brother and me. He wants to drive an hour to see his sister? We GO! I want to go across town to see a friend? Phone call has to do.