Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some things baffle me

Okay, to add to the things that baffle me, there's a link - that I did not click - that Justin Beiber is writing a memoir! He's what, 15? 16? Sheesh! Next thing will be a cookbook, or whatever publicists can think of to make another buck off his popularity!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Okay, to add to the things that baffle me, there's a link - that I did not click - that Justin Beiber is writing a memoir! He's what, 15? 16? Sheesh! Next thing will be a cookbook, or whatever publicists can think of to make another buck off his popularity!
    Call me stupid, but I don't even know who JB is!!! I have a feeling that I'm not missing much tho.........
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

If no one is interested in all this 'nonsense', then why would there be such a public showing of it? If people truly don't/didn't care...the news media would move on. Someone must be interested.

I think Chelsea Clinton has held her head high, shown a lot of class, grace under pressure, etc. If her day (or their day, LOL) makes the news, great! It is, as someone else mentioned, a happy reporting.

People like different things, they have different interests, maybe they live vicariously, I don't really know. I tend to see things from a convenience standpoint. TVs, radio, phones, magazines....if it works for ME, holds MY interest, makes ME happy, I indulge/watch/read/pay attention. If not, I move on, turn it off, pass it on.

Oddly enough, I really don't think the world revolves around me. I am one tiny, teeny part in it, and I appreciate that others enjoy/see/want things differently than I. Maybe watching or learning about the wedding was really a top marker for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Call me stupid, but I don't even know who JB is!!! I have a feeling that I'm not missing much tho.........
    Ha ha ha...you're in line with me Pom...I think he's that young 15 yr old Canadian singer everyone thinks is sooo cute...looks pretty ordinary to me. I don't really like him or the singing so that's all I can say about him...give or take a few years and he'll probably be a has been.

As for Chelsea's wedding I thought her gown was fabulous but for the price I guess it was supposed to be. I didn't watch or read much about the wedding, doesn't hold any interest for me.
    I hope they'll have a happy life and a great marriage.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I could care less and it irritates me no end what is considered "news". I think everything needs to be categorized. If you want entertainment news, watch Entertainment Tonight. If you want sports, watch ESPN. I don't think either of those are "news" Things that actually effect EVERYONES lives is news. In the US I also find it appalling how little we hear about ANYTHING that goes on beyond our boarders. I listen to the BBC to get a better global perspective. I love Chelsea. Her parents did a fine job raising her and she's shown herself to be a fine person. Life in the spotlight can do a number on anyone (see: Brittany, Lindsey et al). She didn't choose to be in the spotlight. But she isn't "news" I think it's amazing in 2010 that terms like "shacked up" are still used. ROFLMAO!
    I think Jon Stewart makes a valid point that having 24/7 news coverage makes it necessary to put junk on. There just isn't that much relevant news out there. Multiplied by how many channels? Cable and otherwise?
    I think NPR does a decent job. Though occasionally I have to switch it off when they give half an hour to Eminem?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    For the record, he is a sensation to the American youth and it did take him alot of work. It's not like he's just some kid who is writing a novel about his life. He doesn't exactly have the "normal" life most kids have or have had. Granted I have no interest in reading it nor am I a fan of said singer, but it's just a point to bring up.

I heard that Hillary asked Chelsea if she had sex with Marc yet.
    Chelsea replied to her "Not according to Dad."

Lohan claims inability to afford counseling

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    So Lindsay Lohan got 90 days in jail because she made the choice to act like a spoiled jerk, I care because...?
    From the "couldn't care less" file... I am finding this really hard to believe.
    source: link from Chicago Tribune online

Lindsay Lohan says she can't afford court-ordered psychological treatment, her lawyer told a Los Angeles court on Thursday, according to People.

The 25-year-old's lawyer, Shawn Chapman Holley, told a judge that Lohan hasn't been able to maintain UCLA psychological treatment due to "financial issues." Judge Stephanie Sautner was unsympathetic, saying that "she's got to find someone to help her out." The judge gave Lohan 21 days to show proof that she's enrolled in counseling.

Lohan also argued that she can't attend more affordable group counseling sessions because paparazzi would disrupt the session. However, she indicated to the court that she would find a way to make counseling work.

Lohan was in court for a stand progress report and was acknowledged to be in good standing.

At the hearing, Lohan was also warned that she must complete all her community service by year's end. She recently completed 35 days of house arrest after pleading no contest to a theft misdemeanor.

Lohan will be on probation for the next three years and is due back in court in October.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

LOL you are so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    I heard that Hillary asked Chelsea if she had sex with Marc yet.
    Chelsea replied to her "Not according to Dad."

This young man has lived and done more then 99% of people get to do in their entire lives. He has a huge fan base and the book will fly of the shelves. Seems odd to us that someone so young would write however. We are used to the older stars like Elizabeth Talylor and George Burns, Lauren Becall and the like writing a book not a 15 year old. However times have changed and that is what young people are reading now instead of fan magazines.

Add to the list of things that baffle me -- The top story on the 5 o'clock news in Chicago was the controversial call made by fill-in referees at Monday's Seahawks-Packers game. I understand that it's worthy of attention because the station is seen up in northern Illinois and maybe into southwest Wisconsin, where there are Packers fans. But the subsequent story was about a missing Northwestern University student and the third one was about a sad drive-by shooting. There has been a lot of violence in Chicago this year. I just don't think the referee's call was as important as those other two stories.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 10-30-2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: grammar
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Add to the list of things that baffle me -- The top story on the 5 o'clock news in Chicago was the controversial call made by fill-in referee's at Monday's Seahawks-Packers game. I understand that it's worthy of attention because the station is seen up in northern Illinois and maybe into southwest Wisconsin, where there are Packers fans. But the subsequent story was about a missing Northwestern University student and the third one was about a sad drive-by shooting. There has been a lot of violence in Chicago this year. I just don't think the referee's call was as important as those other two stories.
    I agree. Sports takes too much precedence over other things that are more important sometimes. Penn State Football gets way more attention than I think it deserves.

Okay - this might be more "bemused" than baffled ... I got an email this week touting the "new color" from a cookware brand: Truffle. "Truly rustic, truly elegant."

Um, folks, it is just a dull mud pie brown. Dunno what's new, exciting or noteworthy about brown! Mud, elegant?
    I've Been Frosted

What, Exactly was in that jug?

Baffling?

I'v ebeen cooking since I was old enough to see over the stove. One of the first "real" recipes we learned as kids was Macaroni and cheese.

It's a simple recipe, and starts with a white sauce base for the cheese sauce.

I have NEVER in my memory had the sauce fail.

I've been teaching MJ how to cook, and we made scalloped potatoes the other day for dinner. The sauce curdled, which is a first for me, but I wrote it off as maybe MJ did something wrong.

Nope.

We were making macaroni and cheese, poured the white sauce over the cheese to mix, and it separated! I've NEVER had that happen.

I just sent Weis markets an email informing them that I will no longer purchase anything with the Weis label on it, because whatever the heck was in that jug it certainly wasn't milk.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Sheesh, wonder what they added into the milk that made it do that! Not just milk, that's for sure! And with you in dairy farm country, you'd think they'd know better!

I love that I can buy milk from several different big companies, and even from a smaller dairy farm with lovely Jersey cows, that sent someone to my local store to talk to people about it who obviously not only was a good spokesperson for the dairy, but loved their cows as well! We spoke about their pretty color, soft noses and doe-like eyes, maybe to the confusion of other shoppers, who might not even consider where milk comes from!
    I've Been Frosted