Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Buffalo?

Okay. Thanks, everyone. I'll see what I can do.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Just so everyone knows Nutro has come out with a all natural Holistic food now. Saw it at a visit to PetSmart the other day. Nutro is ummm OK in my book and my sister's collie is doing well on the all natural. I still believe if you look around your area some of the big kennels sell high quality food.
    Tim ~ Majestic Collies

"Just when you think there are no Angels, a Collie comes into your life"
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    but by the moments that take our breath away"

GIVE ME THE HELPLESS, THE LOST, THE HOMELESS LITTLE ONES STRUGGLING TO LIVE; SEND THESE WEAK,
    ABANDONED LIVES TO ME, I OFFER HOPE, CARE, WARMTH AND MOST OF ALL LOVE,

Pledge of a Rescue Worker

Yes, but chances are "natural" and "holistic" are simply selling gimmicks. I bet there's not much differences between the normal Nutro and the "natural and holistic" Nutro because "natural" is a very loosely defined term in animal nutrition. Human nutrition is an entirely different subject as the USDA has stricter regulations as to what qualifies as "organic", for example.

Nutro is an okay food, but it is heads and shoulders above Pedigree. Blue Buffalo is a VERY good food, although it is very expensive in comparison to other greyt kibbles out there.

Roxyluvsme13, do you have a specialty feed store anywhere near you? Unless you live out in the sticks or something, you should have one relatively near you... You can try going to each individual company's website and doing an individual search. Naturapet is a good start, as is Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (very inexpensive for a very good food!), and Canidae is superb as well. Good Luck! I know you're trying your best and we all appreciate your effort

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    Yes, but chances are "natural" and "holistic" are simply selling gimmicks. I bet there's not much differences between the normal Nutro and the "natural and holistic" Nutro because "natural" is a very loosely defined term in animal nutrition. Human nutrition is an entirely different subject as the USDA has stricter regulations as to what qualifies as "organic", for example.

Nutro is an okay food, but it is heads and shoulders above Pedigree. Blue Buffalo is a VERY good food, although it is very expensive in comparison to other greyt kibbles out there.

Roxyluvsme13, do you have a specialty feed store anywhere near you? Unless you live out in the sticks or something, you should have one relatively near you... You can try going to each individual company's website and doing an individual search. Naturapet is a good start, as is Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (very inexpensive for a very good food!), and Canidae is superb as well. Good Luck! I know you're trying your best and we all appreciate your effort
    Yes, natural and holistic don't phase me too much. Pro Plan has a "natural" food, and it rates about the same I think..

There are local dealers of chicken soup, and canidae near me, the Canidae dealer not too far from my house. Any idea what size their largest bag is, and how much?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

I still feed CSFTDLS from time to time when I get lazy, and I think a 20-something pound bag is around $20.99. I think Canidae is around 40 lbs for $35.99. I'm not too sure about this and the prices might fluctuate from area to area, but this is a good guess.

However, that 20-something pound of CSFTDLS lasted Giselle at least a month, so if you think about it that's less than a dollar a day. I'm sure Roxy doesn't eat as much/more than Gissie because Roxy's rather sedentary and much smaller in size, so that 20-something bag is going to last you at least a month.

I still feed CSFTDLS from time to time when I get lazy, and I think a 20-something pound bag is around $20.99. I think Canidae is around 40 lbs for $35.99. I'm not too sure about this and the prices might fluctuate from area to area, but this is a good guess.

However, that 20-something pound of CSFTDLS lasted Giselle at least a month, so if you think about it that's less than a dollar a day. I'm sure Roxy doesn't eat as much/more than Gissie because Roxy's rather sedentary and much smaller in size, so that 20-something bag is going to last you at least a month.
    Ahh, the Canidae dealer is much closer than the Chicken Soup dealer.. I'll have to convince my mom to take a trip there and see. How much do you think Roxy would need? She's eating like 4 cups of Pedigree
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Dogs will eat less of a higher quality kibble compared to a low quality. Because its not filled with fillers.
    Toby was getting 4 cups a day of nutro to maintain his weight, on Canidae he gets 2 cups a day.

*Nicole*

Yup, I agree with Tralee. If Roxy is eating 4 cups of Pedigree, I think she'd do nicely on 2 cups of Canidae. Giselle usually tops at about 2 1/2 cups of CSFTDLS, although I increase her intake to about 3 cups when she's doing strenuous exercise.

How much does Roxy weigh and do you take her for frequent walks? I'm guessing Roxy is around 45 pounds, so if she doesn't do a lot of hard exercise, she should be fine with 2 cups.

Yup, I agree with Tralee. If Roxy is eating 4 cups of Pedigree, I think she'd do nicely on 2 cups of Canidae. Giselle usually tops at about 2 1/2 cups of CSFTDLS, although I increase her intake to about 3 cups when she's doing strenuous exercise.

How much does Roxy weigh and do you take her for frequent walks? I'm guessing Roxy is around 45 pounds, so if she doesn't do a lot of hard exercise, she should be fine with 2 cups.
    Wow, that would really save us money on dog food. Ummm, I think she weighs between 45-50, possibly 55 when she's been eating well. (She has a habit of eating her dog food for a while, then she kind of stops, I guess she doesn't like it maybe, but I dunno. She doesn't have any health problems or anything that I know of, and she's pretty active and bouncy.) I try to walk her atleast every 2 days if I can't walk her every day, so, not very much strenous excersize. But she does need to gain some weight, (although she eats like a horse, but she's also naturally skinny) so I might give her 2.5 cups.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Chicken Soup has recently changed its formula and has removed Turkey meal from the ingredient list, supplementing, I'm sure, with more filler. It's still a fine food, but not as good as it used to be. I used that as well up until recently. I also raised cracker on canidae from 8 weeks until a year, when they changed to chicken soup, and he did very well on it. Sometimes adding a little bit of warm water will help them want to eat it more. Glad to see you are thinking things through Bri, it will make a whole lot of difference and the cost would be about the same, since she would eat about half the amount. Both dogs would do very well on the same food also, the pieces are not large so lily would do fine. Would save you on having to buy separate foods too. I would think the bag would probably last you close to a month. It's usually around 1.00 a pound maybe slightly over that, for the canidae.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    Chicken Soup has recently changed its formula and has removed Turkey meal from the ingredient list, supplementing, I'm sure, with more filler. It's still a fine food, but not as good as it used to be. I used that as well up until recently. I also raised cracker on canidae from 8 weeks until a year, when they changed to chicken soup, and he did very well on it. Sometimes adding a little bit of warm water will help them want to eat it more. Glad to see you are thinking things through Bri, it will make a whole lot of difference and the cost would be about the same, since she would eat about half the amount. Both dogs would do very well on the same food also, the pieces are not large so lily would do fine. Would save you on having to buy separate foods too. I would think the bag would probably last you close to a month. It's usually around 1.00 a pound maybe slightly over that, for the canidae.
    Ahh. I've been needing to switch Lily onto adult food soon anyways, so I'll see what I can convince my mom.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

I feed Iams.Zippy and Pumpkin love it.Bandit(cocker)eats Iams also.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Eeep, I hate Iams, no offense =/. I have a big bag of puppy food that I think I'm going to donate to the shelter. I know I won't be using it. Just mentioned Canidae to my mom, too. She ignored me somewhat.. .
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan