Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serious computer virus help!!!!

Part sent by Marty

Hi All,

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!
    I checked Snopes, and it is for real. Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,'regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately. This is the worst virus announced by CNN.

It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

This is an email that in some form has been around since 2001. It has been sent out with various themes but always the Key give away "Zero Sector". It is a fraud.

The malware threat is real but this email has nothing to do with catnappers problem. Her problem is not related to her zero sector.

Yep. You meant well, Marty, but emails like that are hoaxes. Google the subject line on them and you will see a lot of search results on hoax websites.

Three clues that emails are hoaxes:

1. Using many CAPITAL LETTERS in case the reader CAN'T READ.

2. "Send this to all your friends!" lol

3. "Checking Snopes and it is for real" - the latest line in many such emails. Yeah, it IS for real - a real hoax!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I had a malware at work and they used Malwarebytes to get rid of it. The malware was a popup that breached the popup blocker, and was the one that said something like "You have 104 trojans and 523 viruses on your machine". Now in nearly 7 years here I've had maybe one or two real viruses, so I smelled fish and contacted IT. They sent me Malwarebytes and had me install it and it cleaned up the program.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

McAfee is a resource goblin... On every computer Ive had it causes lag time, even on one's ive optimized. It's my personal preference, but I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser (it does not store personal info and scans any attachments) along with Kaspersky Internet Suite. It is one of the top rated anti virus programs, and is a one stop deal. No need for running multiple programs. It's fast, effective and even has a couple of features that others dont. Not to mention it's easy on the resources and won't slow your computer.

Last year I had a desktop that got infected, and it got so bad it shut my hard drive down. The computer wouldn't even turn on. Now your computer may not be worth repairing, but perhaps you have some valuable files on it, so they( computer repair shop) can actually extract files onto a disk for you, or even a new computer or external hardrive. Then you can buy another one and protect it from the start. Kaspersky is the way to go. It's on our work computers in all four stores and every employees personal computers at home