Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Toy puppies

Thanks Twister,

BTW, Do all ten dogs get along together, or do certain dogs buddy up in groups? I don't think I know anyone with 10 dogs all at once. Wow.

-Tim

Originally posted by subwayseries
    Thanks Twister,

BTW, Do all ten dogs get along together, or do certain dogs buddy up in groups? I don't think I know anyone with 10 dogs all at once. Wow.

They do all get along for the most part. Which is pretty remarkable .... especially considering that they are terriers, breeds not exactly known for their loving kindness to other dogs. LOL

I remember reading a study once (can't remember who did it) where they took large groups of dogs, like 20-30, and put them in an enclosure without human intervention, aside from basic care, to see how well different breeds did with each other. I remember that beagles took the prize, getting along fabulously with each other for the entire study. At the other end of the spectrum were fox terriers, whose study had to be discontinued after only a short time, due to the fact that they were trying to kill each other constantly. So, given that, I'd say mine get along great! LOL

They do a lot of barking, growling, posturing and humping ... but rarely is there a knock-down, drag-out fight. I do have to crate one of my Jack Russell terriers if I leave the house, because he tends to be grumpy and petty and start fights, and then inevitably he gets the worst of it.

They are all sleeping around me now. They are sweet, quiet, well-mannered dogs ... when they are asleep.

Here is their webpage: http://www.geocities.com/lotza_dogz/
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

posted by subwayseries:There are a lot of guys who are insecure about their masculinity and have to act macho all the time. >>>>>

My husband prefers small dogs.
    Little Pepper is his "pride and joy" baby.

Sunbeam certainly melted your heart.
    You did not have a chance once he licked
    your face 12 yrs. ago.

Karen

----<---<--<{(@

"Small dogs tend to live longer and it has something to do with blood circulation and the heart, but I'm not quite sure what it is."

I was told by a breeder that all dogs have the same sized hearts. So small dogs hearts don't work as hard so they live longer.

I have no idea if this is true or not.

"Okay i have heard that with toy dogs they have some health problems because theyare so small? can someone fill me in?"

From what I can see they all have something. I have a Bichon and it's the first small dog I've owned. I used to think a lot of things about small dogs like they bite more, they're one person dogs, they're yappy blah blah blah. I don't think any of this anymore.
    Last edited by coconut; 12-05-2003 at 11:43 PM.

Small dogs

Okay to start off with I hate the phrase "toy dogs", they are not toys and this is often forgotten.
    I have chihuahuas and they usually live longer than most dogs simply because they are one of the few breeds if not the only one that isn't mixed with anything else. No one sat down and said let me put a dashound with a yorkie to make a chihuahua. This being the case, they have less genetic problems picked up from other breeds. All breeds have something. Hip problems, knee problems etc. Many chi's do have knee problems though.
    Smaller chihuahuas do have more problems. The AKA won't allow a chihuahua over 6 pounds to show but actually the ones around 6 pounds or more are usually healthier.
    Breeders who advertise "toy size, tiny, or tea cup" are to be avoided if possible. They merely breed for size and do not take into consideration how many problems the smaller ones have. Many "tea cups" do not live a full life. And the idea of a 3 or 4 lb female being breeded is an absolute horror to me.
    Ricky is 7 lbs and although not "good enough" to show, I show him all the time to my family and friends. Lucy Tu is a little over 6 lbs and absolutely a doll. Desi Lu is 4 lbs but she is still growing at 7 months. I am hoping she will be at least 6 lbs.
    Ricky's litter mate is 14 lbs and I doubt that his family would want to part with him because he isn't small enough.
    Love your dog, not his size and remember it isn't the size that matters.

http://photo.weather.com/interact/ph...2339/pic2.html

>>Love your dog, not his size and remember it isn't the size that matters.<< (MHMama)

My guy is 5 lbs, and thinks he's 105 lbs, but that's a Poodle for ya. His teeth and tear ducts were never correct enough to "show", but he's a great companion, and that's what counts.

-Tim