Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New Project for Everyone

A New Project for Everyone

Since we started this website, we have learned of many places that we didn't know existed - from small local shelters, to foster programs, to breed-specific rescue organizations, and caring individuals who don't have official titles, but just do the work - all of these places have pets that need homes.

We'd like to have a webpage on the PetoftheDay.com, DogoftheDay.com and CatoftheDay.com family of websites to awaken people to the wide variety of places that have animals waiting for a good, loving home.

If you have suggestions and contributions of where and how people should look for their new pet, we'd appreciate your help. We'd of course mention petfinder.org, but would like to create a comprehensive resource of the available options.

For example

How to find your "local" shelters?
    What kind of shelters exist?
    What questions should they ask at shelter?
    What fees should one expect?
    What questions should they ask a breeder?
    How do I find a breed-specific rescue?
    How do I find animals that are in foster care?

I am sure there are question we haven't thought of, but using the great collective knowledge of Pet Talk, I am sure we can create a wonderful resource that will help a lot of people and animals.

Of course a mention of the horrors of puppy (and kitten and other) mills would be necessary, and a warning against, for example, buying a pet store pup.

If you'd like to help by contributing a paragraph or more, please post in this thread, or Private Message or email me.

The Animal Welfare Association that I have often referred to ia available in the Southern Ontario Area at awa.xux.net.
    There are so Many Cats that need homes.
    All these Cats are saying
    Hey Look Me Over!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/cgi-...arch_dogs_form
    serch for dog or cats only
    http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/cgi-...ter-search.cgi
    find a shelters near you!
    (this is how I got my Teddy)
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Good idea! My contributions:

The following are excellent links to animal welfare organizations that provide information on feral cats, spay/neuter assistance, pet adoption, animal rescue programs, and more. (from AzCATs website)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    AzCats
    www.azcats.org
    AzCATs serves as a leader in Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) by developing and implementing innovative programs to humanely end the breeding cycle for feral and other free-roaming cats.

Pets 911
    www.pets911.com/
    Pets 911 provides accurate, community specific information needed to encourage better care for pets in communities throughout the United States. Visit this link to learn about pet care resources and rescue efforts in your community.

Arizona Animal Welfare League (AAWL)
    www.aawl.org/
    The Arizona Animal Welfare League (AAWL) is the largest and oldest "no-kill" shelter in Arizona. Visit their on-line adoption center.

Arizona Beagle Rescue (AZBR)
    www.azbeaglerescue.com/
    Arizona Beagle Rescue (AZBR) is a statewide 501(c)3 non-profit, all-volunteer animal welfare organization dedicated to saving homeless beagles through rescue efforts, adoption and education on the breed.

Animal Defense League of Arizona (ADLA)
    www.adlaz.org
    ADLA is a statewide animal protection and advocacy organization.

Alley Cat Allies
    www.alleycat.org
    Alley Cat Allies promotes nonlethal control for feral and stray cats with Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) programs that effectively reduce their population by sterilization - not euthanasia.

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
    www.bestfriends.org/
    Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is the nation's largest sanctuary for abused and abandoned cats, dogs, and other animals.

Alliance for Companion Animals
    www.az4animals.com/
    The mission of the Alliance is to effect positive social change and create a community-wide network of resources that ensure lifetime, loving environments for all companion animals. AzCATs is a voting member of the Alliance.

Cat Positive
    www.catpositive.org/
    Cat Positive was established to provide an alternative to euthanasia for asymptomatic FeLV and FIV positive cats.

American Humane
    www.americanhumane.org/
    American Humane is an excellent source of information on a variety of animal related issues.

Maricopa County Animal Care & Control (AC&C)
    www.maricopa.gov/pets/
    Click on this link to learn about pet adoptions, licensing, shot clinics, lost and found pets, and more!

Animal Balance
    www.animalbalance.org/
    Animal Balance works collaboratively with the local authorities and the community on the Galapagos Islands to organize a Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) program. Collectively, they will humanely stabilize, then reduce and control the number of cats and dogs. AzCATs supports this effort and is working to help them with their TNR project in May of 2004.

World Animal Net
    www.worldanimalnet.org/
    World Animal Net has resources for animal rescue organizations.

ADLA's Spay Neuter Hotline - for low cost spay/neuter information www.adlaz.org 602-265-SPAY (7729).

Altered Tails www.alteredtails.org 480-563-4351
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Great idea, there are a lot of people that look at Pet of the Day that don't come to the PT boards.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Maybe make a list of rescues/shelters by state/province? I would be willing to help organize the list if it's too much work.

(I'll be editing and adding more as I get the URLS)

BadRap (Pit Bulls)

Humane Society of Pinellas

Best Friends

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Hey King I never knew you lived so close?
    Missisauga is like 15-20 minutes from me.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

We'd also like people's thoughts on the questions I posed and any others - like what to ask a shelter employee, and what you should expect to pay - if you can list examples what your shelter charges, that would be helpful.

Great idea, Karen! I'll get some sites together and reply in a couple days

http://www.pbrc.net (pit bull rescue central)

http://www.montanapets.org (montana pets on the net)

that's all I can think of for now.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

May I have a word about the "horrors" of puppy (and cat) mills and BYBs?

------------------------------------------------------

Though there will always be conflicts and controversies surrounding the "perfect" breeder, it is accepted knowledge that the only reason one should breed is to "better the breed". To achieve this, breeders spend incredible amounts of time and money proving their dogs either in the field of conformation or some type of performance event like agility, herding, Schutzhund, hunting, etc. Through this process, they breed only the best to the best. They recognize the importance of keeping their bloodlines free from health maladies, and, thus, spend hundreds, even thousands, of dollars to health test their breeding stock through organizations like the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), Canine Eye Registration Foundation (CERF), PennHip, Optigen, etc. If the breed should be susceptible to a wide array of diseases, the breeder would test for the appropriate illness. For example, it is common practice to test for hypothyroidism and von Willebrands in Doberman Pinschers.

With so much care and thought put into the breeding stock itself, it is not surprising that the reputable breeder would take equal precautions in screening prospective homes. The reputable breeder does not sell to just anybody with a wad of cash, and they often screen to the point of homechecks (where the breeder makes an appointment to check out the home of the prospective buyer). However, this is not to say that all reputable breeders require homechecks nor does it imply that a breeder is unreputable if s/he does not screen prospective homes as aggressively as another breeder. This does mean, however, that the reputable breeder would not sell his or her puppies to a middleman, a puppy broker, or a petstore. These facilities use puppies as a main source of money and the only objective of these facilities is monetary profit.

Because pet stores need a large supply of puppies for a minimal amount of money, they acquire their pups from "mills". Simply put, mills are extremely large kennels breeding hundreds of puppies at a time, often churning out both mixed and purebred dogs. Because profit is the primary objective, mill owners do not take the time nor money to prove their dogs or health test. Additionally, they overbreed their dogs and care little for the overall well-being of the animals. The resulting puppies are often badly malnourished, subject to a wide range of oftentimes fatal health maladies, and are frequently reported to have social/emotional problems. Since mills need to provide a large amount of puppies consistently, they take the puppies away from the mother prematurely. Consequently, these puppies often have a more difficult time housetraining, polishing their social skills, and have a harder time learning bite inhibition.

While the puppy at the petstore may tug at your heartstrings and attempt to break your willpower, just say no. Say no to the pet store. Say no to the puppy mills. Break the vicious cycle and adopt a furry friend instead.

LOL, just because this topic intrigues me so much.

The big one : What kind of questions should I ask my breeder?

- First and foremost, WHY do you breed?
    The correct answer will always run along the lines of: a deep passion for the breed and the duty to further/better the breed.

- What kind of health tests do you perform?
    An annual vet check does not mean anything.

- What kind of events do you do with your dogs?
    The above relates to... How do you "prove" your dogs? How do you choose which dogs to breed and which ones to pet out?

- Do you provide a lifetime guarantee? If my dog should develop a congenital or hereditary defect, what will you do?

- If for any reason in my dog's lifetime I must relinquish the dog, will you take it back?

- May I see the parents?
    Oftentimes, the stud dog is not on site. This is normal, but you should be able to see the mother. She should be happy and well fed.

- May I have references to past families?

- May I have references to your vet?

-To be continued...LOL. My brain is mush right now

Karen,

We CANNOT forget dogorphans, after all, two of your canine family members came from there!

http://www.dogorphans.com/index.cfm

Remember, we want to let people know how you found out about your local shelters - like, Lady's Human, how did you first find Dog Orphans?