Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light on Snow discussion

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

Light on Snow discussion

Here are three questions to open up the discussion for October's book... keep in mind, I'm new to this, if anyone has any suggestions or wants to briefly take the reins from me to steer us in a better direction, please feel free. There are questions at the back of the book, and, I'm posting the first three today...

1. Nicky notes near the beginning of Light on Snow that her father actively avoids civilization, yet when they find Baby Doris he quickly breaks out of his self-imposed exile to help save the abandoned infant. Why do you think he chooses to become so involved in this situation?

I think because he's lost his own small child, that he feels maybe obligated to help this child, or maybe because he's subconsciously aware of the life he's basically taken from his own daughter, that he should help the baby. And, morally, I don't think he really even has a choice in something like this. I don't think he really gets all that involved in the situation anyway...he finds the baby and takes her to the hospital. He doesn't get too much more involved than that until the mother shows up on his doorstep, and, then, he's sort of forced into being involved.

2. Discuss the relationship between Nicky and her father as the novel opens. In what ways is their relationship unique? In what ways does it reflect or subvert the traditional roles of parent and child?

Geez, it's been so long since I read it, and, I don't have the book in front of me, now! Um...I'd say that in a lot of ways, her father (was his name Robert?) wasn't really parenting her. She was relatively self sufficient, and, possibly even parenting him in some ways.

3. The December days through which Light on Snow unfolds represent a rite of passage for Nicky in many ways. How is she ultimately influenced by what she experiences in these weeks? What does Nicky draw from her relationships with the various adults around her? Do you think they learn something from her as well?

I think the situation helps her relationship with her father tremendously, even though it tears it down briefly near the end of the book. She phsyically goes through a change when she starts her period...and, I think Charlotte and Nicky's father learn something from Nicky...I think Nicky's father has learned that it's time to move on, that's it's good for both of them if they each start living again. And, I think Charlotte learns trust in people, because they don't turn her in, and, Nicky really takes to her.

Dang, I'm just not doing well with my answers! But, I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have to say about it!

Overall, I liked the book. It's not one that I'd pick up again or really recommend to others. It's a good read, though, and, I enjoyed it. I didn't feel a particular attachment to the characters, but, I did feel different emotions while reading it. And, the whole story about how the mother/wife and sister/daughter died, that really stuck in my head for a few days, just because my own mother was going on a road trip, and, it made me worry more than usual about her and her friend getting into a car accident. Other than that, though, as soon as I closed the book, I let the characters go. Hope that makes sense. I honestly have to say, though, from remembering back, the only character I actually liked was the dad. I'll have to skim through the book again, or listen to what you all are saying to help jog my memory. So, now, it's your turn! Tell us your thoughts on the book...if you wanna answer the questions at the top of this post, please do. My answers are fairly elementary, simply because I've just not thought about books so deeply in a long time...I've just basically always gone on how they made me feel...this will help me learn to read them in more than just an emotional way. So, it was hard for me to post the answers, because they're not all that intelligent. But, I wanted to get the ball rolling on this...so, there you have it. Light on Snow is open for discussion!

Members and Rules
    Last edited by finn's mom; 10-25-2005 at 04:54 PM.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

1. Nicky notes near the beginning of Light on Snow that her father actively avoids civilization, yet when they find Baby Doris he quickly breaks out of his self-imposed exile to help save the abandoned infant. Why do you think he chooses to become so involved in this situation?

I think at first he felt he didn't have a choice. He found a baby so he automatically started doing what was best for her. I don't think it was until he was talking to the cop that it really set in what happened. He started worrying about the little girl, wanting to see her and make sure it was okay. I think he was angry at himself for caring about the baby because it reminded him of his own Clara but wasn't Clare but he couldn't walk away from her because he wanted her to be Clare.

2. Discuss the relationship between Nicky and her father as the novel opens. In what ways is their relationship unique? In what ways does it reflect or subvert the traditional roles of parent and child?

I agree with you that she was parenting him. Robert was so caught up in missing his wife that he forgot Nicky lost her mother. I think he felt especially bad because (I got the feeling) he had let his wife drive away when he knew she was drunk. Even though Nicky says at the begining of the book that they'd never know what happened to her mother, if maybe she was distracted by Clara, near the end of the book, Nicky's father tells her not to ever get in a car with someone who is drunk, even if it's herself. I think this is alluding to the mother because though in real life, that's simply good advice for a father to give his daughter, in fiction, everything connects back to something else so there are few useless words. Maybe her father never told her about the mother, or maybe he passed away later before having the chance. (Or I could be way off and the author just wanted to slip that advice to her readers!)

3. The December days through which Light on Snow unfolds represent a rite of passage for Nicky in many ways. How is she ultimately influenced by what she experiences in these weeks? What does Nicky draw from her relationships with the various adults around her? Do you think they learn something from her as well?

I think they learned from her in that she was the most adult. She had to take care of her father and because of that, she knew more about being a mother than Charlotte did. By watching Charlotte and seeing the mistakes she made in her life, Nicky learned that all choices have conquences and she will always have to answer for her action.

I liked the book. It wasn't my favorite book ever written but I liked it. I probably wouldn't recommend it but if someone asked, I wouldn't discourage them from reading it.

This is fun! I can't wait to see everyone's answers.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

Quote Originally Posted by lady_zana
    (Or I could be way off and the author just wanted to slip that advice to her readers!)

She had to take care of her father and because of that, she knew more about being a mother than Charlotte did.
    I hadn't even thought about the mother having been drinking and driving...it didn't seem at all like that to me, it's cool to hear that you got that out of the book!

I really like how you worded that last sentence that I quoted...She really did know more about taking care of another person and responsibility than Charlotte.

I'm glad you posted, thank you!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

just bumping this up before it goes to page two...

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    Here are three questions to open up the discussion for October's book... keep in mind, I'm new to this, if anyone has any suggestions or wants to briefly take the reins from me to steer us in a better direction, please feel free. There are questions at the back of the book, and, I'm posting the first three today...

Becaus the child's life is at stake, and he is a decent human being, he saves the baby. He probably would have done so even if he hadn't lost his wife and baby daughter, but in any case, human instinct kicks in.

Then when the baby's mother shows up, he feels forced into involvement again. I think Nicky being there was at least half the reason he didn't immediately turn Charlotte in, he knows he has to consider the impact every decision he'll make has on his surviving child.

As the novel opens. they are co-existing in the same house, but that's about it. Sadly, this is not a unique situation - many children of divorce - not just kids who've lost a parent to death - end up in a similar-feeling situation. I do think she is more self-sufficient than many kids her age because of it, but chafes at the responsibility sometimes.

Her life changes dramatically in many ways - the events re-establish a relationship with her father, and forces them to talk. She also learns a lot more about the woman's side of relationships through Charlotte, lessons she may or may not need in life, but Charlotte is her first chance to ask questions of an adult female since her mother died.

I liked the book in that it moved very quickly for me - sucked me right in, and I wanted to keep reading.

Some of the writing style bothered me, I dislike how every once in a while she's an adult reflecting back, but doesn't reveal much about her current life or circumstances, which bothered me a bit. And it also made it hard to tell, toward the end, whether the things she was projecting about her future relationship - if any - with Charlotte were just wishful thinking, or things that actually happened in the intervening years.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    [COLOR=Blue]I liked the book in that it moved very quickly for me - sucked me right in, and I wanted to keep reading.

Some of the writing style bothered me, I dislike how every once in a while she's an adult reflecting back, but doesn't reveal much about her current life or circumstances, which bothered me a bit. And it also made it hard to tell, toward the end, whether the things she was projecting about her future relationship - if any - with Charlotte were just wishful thinking, or things that actually happened in the intervening years.
    I agree with what you've said about the writing style, just couldn't word it! It bothered me a bit, too.

I did like the book, and, it did keep me interested. Did the characters stay with you at all, Karen? That's usually how I know if it's a story that I'll pass onto others. This one didn't do that for me. As soon as I put the book down, they left my brain. I did enjoy the book, though, overall.

When she was looking back i didn't realize she was an adult? I thought she was just looking at her past.

I thought overall it was an really good book. The character that really stayed with me is Charlotte. I think she was probably the most realistic character. I felt bad for her while I was reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by CagneyDog
    When she was looking back i didn't realize she was an adult? I thought she was just looking at her past.
    She was looking at her past...she's something like in her thirties, I think...and, she's looking back at her past as a preteen...is that what you're talking about?

She was looking at her past...she's something like in her thirties, I think...and, she's looking back at her past as a preteen...is that what you're talking about?
    Yeah thats what I'm talking about, I just never caught on that she was an adult when she was looking back

Yeah thats what I'm talking about, I just never caught on that she was an adult when she was looking back
    Oh, you thought she was just like a couple years older?

Oh, you thought she was just like a couple years older?
    I don't know what I thought now that I skim through the book again it is apparent that she is older when she is looking back so i'm not sure why i never figured that out the first time

I don't know what I thought now that I skim through the book again it is apparent that she is older when she is looking back so i'm not sure why i never figured that out the first time
    You're funny...it's ok. As long as you enjoyed the book! I think it says like one time how old she actually is, but, I've been reading two books since I finished that one, so, my brain's mush!

I hadn't even thought about the mother having been drinking and driving...it didn't seem at all like that to me, it's cool to hear that you got that out of the book!

I really like how you worded that last sentence that I quoted...She really did know more about taking care of another person and responsibility than Charlotte.

I'm glad you posted, thank you!
    The reason I thought that the mother may have drinking and driving is that I write too and everything in fiction has to loop back somehow....I think it was Oscar Wilde that said something like 'Fiction is different than real life because fiction has to make sense.' That's why most of our 'everyday lives' aren't featured in books, because everything has to loop back and be more than wasted words.

Thank you for your compliment. I'm glad you liked it.

One thing I didn't like about this book was that it was a reflection story, Nicky telling it to us from her adulthood but yet the story was in the present tense as if it was happening right then....that irked me but I really don't care for books in the present tense anyway....I lose something of the story - how can you be telling me about what happened as you do it? Does that make sense? I would prefer it to say something like 'I wrote my book review on Pet Talk' as opposed to 'I am writing my book review on Pet Talk.' That's just my perference though.
    Proud meowmy of Weezie, Eepie, Grey Girl and Neko...or Weezer Peezer, Eepie Peepie, Grey Grey and Neko the Gecko as they are commonly known!

I didn't think that the ending was much of an ending...It was an enjoyable book, but for some reason I felt empty as I read the last page...I don't know what could have been done differently, but anyway...

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Quote Originally Posted by slleipnir
    I didn't think that the ending was much of an ending...It was an enjoyable book, but for some reason I felt empty as I read the last page...I don't know what could have been done differently, but anyway...
    Yeah I felt that too.