Thread: My friend's party

My friend's party

For those who didn't read the previous thread, my friend is dying of cancer. He was given two weeks to live, this Monday is two weeks. Lee requested to have everyone come over for a party last night. Here's the thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...threadid=37365

I finished my telephone wire bouquet. I didn't like how it looked a whole lot, so I wound up taking a dozen wire flowers to a florist. I had her incorporate them into a beautiful live flower bouquet. Instead of a card, I used one of our tags that we always use to tag our cables. I was so upset on the way to Lee's that I forgot my camera. I am sure someone else took pictures, so I'll post them once I get them.

Anyways, the party was much better then I expected. There were hundreds of people there. Considering the situation, Lee was doing great. He was laughing and joking with everyone. His son was pushing him around in a wheelchair and Lee was mingling with everyone. He has this really high pitched girl voice right now because of the cancer. When he was giving a speech, he said "Excuse my manly voice." He still had his humor. He thanked us all for being a part of his life and whatnot. The whole party was so cheery. Not a single tear was shed.

I only stayed about 2 hours. I didn't want to see Lee once he got worn down. It was hard enough seeing him sick as it was. When I hugged him goodbye, it was really hard. You usually don't know when you are seeing someone for the last time. This time I did. Words can't explain what it feels like to hug someone goodbye and know that you will never see them again.

I couldn't think of a better way to go out though. A huge happy party with all your loved ones. That just goes to show what a friendly, positive guy he is. -Thinking of his friends at a time like this.

Oh. I feel so sorry for you. If one of my friends was dying from cancer, I wouldn't know what I would do.
    I love animals!!! Espically baby animals!!

well i'm glad he could still be happy at the party and have fun with his friends. thats alot better than moping around. i think.

I think it is too.
    I love animals!!! Espically baby animals!!

Re: My friend's party

Originally posted by Tonya
    ... I finished my telephone wire bouquet...

I had her incorporate them into a beautiful live flower bouquet.
    Instead of a card,
    I used one of our tags that we always use to tag our cables...

Tonya ~

Yours was probably the Most Appreciated and
    Remembered Gift!

{{{Hugs}} to Lee!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Tonya,

What a thoughtful thing to do ....... and I agree with Phred, probably the most appreciated and remembered ..... {{{hugs}}}
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Man...I missed that thread. I'm so sorry about Lee but I am glad he had the chance to be with his friends and have a good time. Sounds like he had a wonderful time and I am sure everybody appreciated that party.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

What a wonderful idea having that party. I'm sure Lee appreciated all his friends and family coming out to celebrate his life. It give them time to say what they want to say.

I just updated my Will last weekend and I set aside $2,000 for a party to celebrate my life. I figure that should cover the booze and the food and hope that everyone will enjoy themselves and remember and laugh.

Tonya, did you get any pictures of the wire bouquet??
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I think it's really special that your friend had the opportunity to have a party and say goodbye to people on his terms. I am so sorry - this is a very difficult time for you (((HUGS)))

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

The party sounds like it was a sucess and was what it needed to be, a celebration with Lee and not just mopping around. I am glad that there was something, because I know that you did not think that was going to be possible to ever see him again.

I am sure your first bouquet was fine I understand I am hard on the things that I do. I think that your second idea was great and I am sure that it was beautiful, and appreciated.

{{{{HUGS}}}} to you.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Slick, I was to bothered before the party to remember my camera or take pictures. There were tons of people at the party with a camera though. They plan on making a scrap book and they also plan on posting pictures on the board at work, so I am sure I'll get some copies. I'll show you all when I get them.