Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cosmos

  1. #1

    Cosmos

    Just watched the first installment of the Cosmos reboot.

    They did an excellent job with it, beyond that there isn't much more to say.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    35,297
    I was annoyed by the 1960's-style animation for parts of it, it is 2014, folks! And watching it with Paul, who is more attuned to what people will get offended by, was interesting in itself!
    I've Been Frosted

  3. #3
    I'm actually glad they didn't do more modern animation, the science would have been lost in the sea of CGI.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    35,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I'm actually glad they didn't do more modern animation, the science would have been lost in the sea of CGI.
    But they didn't have to do animation at all, really! And that just happens to be one of my least favorites styles/eras of animation, frankly! I acknowledge that may be just me, and maybe they won't do that in future episodes!
    I've Been Frosted

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,614
    I will never look at the last few seconds of a 'year' the same way again.

    For the last week of two, I have been catching shows about space/stars and I am totally stunned about how small we are. It's stunning to think that we cannot see the edge of the universe and the why behind it.

    Did anyone see the 60 minutes pieces on the radio telescopes in South America last night?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    35,297
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I will never look at the last few seconds of a 'year' the same way again.

    For the last week of two, I have been catching shows about space/stars and I am totally stunned about how small we are. It's stunning to think that we cannot see the edge of the universe and the why behind it.

    Did anyone see the 60 minutes pieces on the radio telescopes in South America last night?
    I did not, will have to search online for it later, or see if it's on On Demand at some point.

    I did dislike that they didn't take a second to add a new blank page for the future, that the calendar ended with present time was mildly disturbing ... even if it's a one minute mention, and a new page filled with question marks .... It just reminded me too much of the Mayan calendar hoopla!
    I've Been Frosted

  7. #7
    But he said clearly in the beginning that they were doing a calendar up to the present time. There was no need for any hoopla, he was fairly direct. If people are going to read into the calendar as presented in that manner, then they're just too dense to understand the show to begin with.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I did not, will have to search online for it later, or see if it's on On Demand at some point.

    I did dislike that they didn't take a second to add a new blank page for the future, that the calendar ended with present time was mildly disturbing ... even if it's a one minute mention, and a new page filled with question marks .... It just reminded me too much of the Mayan calendar hoopla!
    The Mayan calendar hoopla had to do with it not being small enough to be handed out with the new phone books

    At the LA museum of Nat History they had a fiberglass replica of the calendar - it's about 6 feet tall and about 1 foot thick (I am guessing because i saw it years ago.) It's pretty impressive, but I agree, too much ado?

    The radio telescope array is planned to be about 10 miles long - they do have the VLA in New Mexico that is a bit larger than the 10 miles for the SA project.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Large_Array

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    35,297
    I enjoyed this week's episode much more! Good job, and none of the annoying style of animation!
    I've Been Frosted

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com