Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're giving our UGLY backyard a makeover!!

We're giving our UGLY backyard a makeover!!

I think we have one of the ugliest, most redneck yards in existance. It bothers me ... A LOT. I've been talking to my mom about doing something about it and yesterday I took her outside to tell her everything I wanted to do and she agreed! I am beyond excited. The last time our yard looked nice was 4-5 years ago, probably more.

So here is a "before" tour of our ugly, redneck yard! (I think I should submit it to Blue Collar TV!)

Wanna go for a swim? Oh wait you can't!
    The pool has been like this far too long, probably 2+ years. Buttons and Mandy dug holes in the liner and we never fixed it because they kept digging. When Buttons died (a year ago) Mandy quit digging. We've been contemplating whether or not to put it back up ever since we got Nova, and we finally decided we would. (I bet the Labbies are happy about that!)

Nova won't have to use this poor excuse for a pool anymore. Luka loves swimming but refuses to use the kiddie pool. (Don't mind the water, I just changed it last week but Nova rolls in the dirt and then jumps in.)

Stay tuned ... more redneck yard to come!

Dumb question.... But, what the heck is a "redneck yard"??
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

This will be the dogs potty area (behind the "fence"). We're not sure yet if we're going to seperate it or not.

This is my dad's grilling area. We're going to put a gate up to seperate it.

Still more tour ahead!

Lovely green fence, eh?
    We're going to pressure wash the algae off and stain it.

Oh, and might I mention that the deck is green too!

Still more coming...

My favorite ... looks like we couldn't make it to the trashcan. lollll

A 1 1/2 - 2 ft fence will be put here to keep the dogs out and this will be a garden.

Wanna get in the hot tub? Too bad, it's out of order!

Oh yeah, you'd have to jump in anyway. The stairs are rotted!

Guess what? There's still more!

I already showed this picture, but we're going to put lattice up around the deck to keep the dogs out from under it. There is a bunch of stuff under there and I don't like them going under there, and I'm not about to clean it!!

The paint is coming off of the railings on the deck, which is a good thing because we hate the color and we're painting our house anyway (pink should never be used for a house color! Blech!). We're going to pressure wash it off and stain it.

Anyone need leaves? We're always in supply...

...thanks to this oak (?) tree that we're probably going to cut down if it's not too big.

What bothers me the most ... this is Retread's grave. This is NOT what I want my dog's memorial to look like! I'm going to make a concrete grave marker with ceramics and such on it, and it will go on top of the grave.

There is more, but I believe I've embarassed my family enough for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya & Inka's mommy
    Dumb question.... But, what the heck is a "redneck yard"??
    It's not dumb since you're not from the USA. But man ... that is hard to explain! Most people use the term to mean "stupid southern people" which is pretty offensive. When I get called a redneck by fellow rednecks we know that we're not using it to say that we're stupid, but rather southern and proud of it. People who aren't rednecks usually use it offensively ... like if you have a southern drawl you're automatically stupid. I don't know really how to explain it better than that.

Oh, and in this case I'm using it to make fun of my family's yard.

The most redneck part of the yard -- trashy!!

I don't know how to reply to this, I dont want to say, "gosh sarah you have an awful yard, what a dump" cause its not, but lets just say, I'm sure it'll look awsome when you are all done, and I'm glad you're cleaning it up!
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

You should call ones of those home make-over shows and see if they would do it!

Looking forward to the "before" and "after" shots!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Wow, lol..Im laughing cause it dont looks as dumpy as my brothers place here.lol.lol.lol..and the only time they get it cleaned up which is about evey 8 years is to get a loan..this is real red neck acre here..smashed cars, olf furniture, and oh wow..your place needs some work. but really I wont even take pic of this place to show you and my nephew has been working for 2 weeks to get it cleaned upcause they want to sell..When my brother gets aggraved at his family (they do nothing in the way of clean up onlyhim) he throws evey thing out..lol.lol..good or bad..out it goes..lol..I will have to find some place else to live , I have lived her free for 10 years, and I go out and pick up trash , and dont make a dnet..yours will be a job but it can be done if ever one is willing to pitchin and work at it..

Awww, thanks for the explanation!!
    My hubby wouldn't stand this for a second. Once we had our new house built, he couldn't wait to start working on his garden!! Well, he truly has green fingers, and made our garden beautiful! Do something about all the trash, plant lots of flowers and bushes, it is worth it!!

I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Ok, Sarah, you have my dream backyard!!! Who cares about the mess...

You have the fence, the shade, the SPACE..

Everything I want!

You are so funny Sarah. Being from Florida myself I feel for you. I live in the country myself in an area pretty "rednecky". However, if that is your one "little" oak tree, I have got ya beat. I have large oak trees in my yard which prohibit the growth of lush green grass, no sunlight means no grass a growing. Combine that with Grant digging holes and we have quite the yard. We do have a nice patch of grass in a few areas that do get sunlight but that's not the whole yard.

Back to your thread, I am sure your yard will look fantastic once it's finished.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

I'm in need of a backyard makeover too!!! my dad is too lazy to do it though!!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)