Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The bird flu has reached Germany - and cats can catch it, too! :(

The bird flu has reached Germany - and cats can catch it, too! :(

Yesterday, hundreds of dead birds (mostly swans) have been found dead on the German island Ruegen (in the Baltic sea), and this afternoon it has been confirmed that they have died from the H5N1-virus, the one that is also dangerous to humans - and cats!

Yes, cats DO pick up the virus, they get ill from it and die from it, they transmit it to other felines, and to humans, too. It's so scary!

Okay, I think my girls - as indoor cats - are relatively safe (even though I was thinking about removing the little bird feeding station outside the window), but I'm concerned about Peggy, and Dino.

Since Dino is still refusing to enter the house since Peggy has moved in, I guess there's nothing you can do for him to protect him, but I just had a very bad argument with my mother regarding Peggy.

She's still on vacation (will be back tomorrow), and even though she has admitted that the entire island was full of dead sea gulls (they're not on Ruegen, but on the island Foehr, which is in the North sea), she doesn't see any reason to keep Peggy inside!!!! Still claims it's animal abuse to keep her indoors. But that is so stupid as Peggy is inside the house the entire week now, as long as they are on vacation, and it doesn't seem to be a huge problem for her (of course she's occassionally whining and is sitting by the door, but I guess she would get over it eventually).

But as usual, my mother won't listen to me and gets angry, and I'm very worried about Peggy now. After all, they live in the forest, and there are many birds - and I'm sure Peggy is catching birds when she's outside!

Kirsten

Wow, thats is so sad & scary. Those poor birds, especially the swans, they have a special place in my heart. I had no idea cats could catch it. Thanks for the warning.

I wish you luck with your mothers cat and you own.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Well, I guess I can add THAT to my reasons why I don't let my cats outside. Thanks Kirsten!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

This is very scary on many levels!!! It's supposed to cause epidemics in people too, and we don't have a vaccine for it yet!!! I'm terrified.
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

All this is terribly sad - and scary as well!

Here's an article from cnn.com about the latest outbreaks in Europe.

Kirsten

How disheartening and sad to read this. I'm glad my fur posse is indoors and safe. Thanx for letting us know, Kirsten.

Blessings,
    Mary

Kirsten!! Can you kidnap Peggy???? It must be frustrating for you!! Thanks for the info!! All the Clan Cats stay inside!!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats
    This is very scary on many levels!!! It's supposed to cause epidemics in people too, and we don't have a vaccine for it yet!!! I'm terrified.
    The virus has to mutate in order to be capable of being transmitted from human to human. That hasn't happened and may not happen. The catch 22 is that until it mutates, they can't create the best vacine against it.

They're working on a vaccine as far as I know, but it hasn't been tested on humans yet.

Regarding Peggy: I spoke to my mother again and this time it seemed she listened. So I hope that if the bird flu reaches my area, she will consider keeping Peggy inside.

Kirsten

Bird Flu may have reached Britain now It's spreading fast

Zimbabwe 07/13

It has also reached France; I think - and the German continent. And most of the migratory birds haven't even arrived yet!

Kirsten

I always think is BS, do you feel the same?
    Yes, I think so, too. I don't think they have a clue what to do if the worst case scenario (mutation of the virus with a possible transmission from human to human) happens. They cannot even start working on a vaccine before the virus mutates!

It's really scary and I read today that the virus is now acting more aggressive than in the past, so I think mutation is very likely.

I read an article today that politicians consider to cancel the soccer world cup in case the virus mutates to the human form.

Kirsten

Yep, that's true!

BTW, forgot to say: Yes, I think it may be because of the bird flu that they took blood from your hubby. Usually they don't do that when you have the flu. I had a very bad one in December and I "only" got antibiotics.

Hope your hubby is feeling better meanwhile!

Kirsten

It reached Belgium too How scary!!

Hey, are you sure that cats can get it too? How did you find out? And, HOW can the get it?
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Good news on bird flu from Vietnam

I heard an interview with the head of the WHO in Vietnam today. They have had not one outbreak of the bird flu in any poultry in 3 months!

The government there went on a massive vaccination program!

I think cats would catch it by eating or chewing on a bird who had the virus.

But I am not 100% sure.

Let's hope other governments start vaccinations - and maybe there will be one for our pets too!