Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When An Indoor Cat Gets Out

When An Indoor Cat Gets Out

Yesterday at work my co-worker was upset because right before she left for work her 4 year old cat, who has never been outside, darted out the door. She couldn't find him and eventually had to give up looking and come to work. He has never been outside before and she is of course very worried about how he will be. She asked me, if and hopefully when he comes back, should she separate him from her other cat because of his potential for picking up a disease while outside. She said he is up to date on all of his shots but is there something that he might catch which has no vaccine? I told her I didn't know. Here's hoping he returns quickly, but should she be worried about disease?

...shots are like a flak-jacket - not perfect protection, but much better with than without. If a rescue or feed store has a live trap, it will be the easiest way. Put in tuna or BBQ chicken and...voila! See! see!?

If the cat is out for a short period of time, no apparent signs of fighting, he should be fine to return indoors. We adopted a cat from the outside that turned out to be incontinent, so he cannot stay in on a regular basis. All his shots are up to date and he comes and goes from the outside to in. So far we have had no problems with disease. We have him checked regularly for FIV etc.

Well, yes, there's always that chance.......

But there's just as much a chance that she's brining in something on her shoes everytime she goes out!

FIP and FIV have no vaccine, but one can be carried on anything and the other is rare and requires an exchange of bodily fluids for transmission (like saliva in a bite).

So, tell her to relax. The risk is not that great.

Wow I didnt know there was no vaccine for FIP and FIV. I just assumed there was. Im so glad we have these boards!

Originally posted by 4 feline house

FIP and FIV have no vaccine, but one can be carried on anything and the other is rare and requires an exchange of bodily fluids for transmission (like saliva in a bite).

~~~Rachel in Alaska
    Mom to "Max, Milo and Pepper Ann" 11.5 month old Teenagers

http://www.pbase.com/alasknmom/kittens/
    updated 10/30/02

Former User Guest
    HA! So you are the roommate! Thanx for bringing Leah back!

Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
    DITTO

Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
    Me three!!!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Tiger, my friend's cat, was on the front step this morning when her husband pulled up (he works nights). The car scared him and he ran away. She put food out, but it hasn't been touched.

Oh my. That is one of my worst fears!!!

One of my cats has never been outside, and the other used to before I got him (he was a stray). He is a door-dasher big time.
    I am constantly worried for him because we live a couple blocks from a busy road, and there are coyotes around.
    He has gotten out once since we lived here (3 years), and I was a wreck.

Your poor friend. I hope her kitty returns soon- what a worry.

According to the world class College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, a vaccine for FIP exists. Many do not recommend it as it is not that effective.

I rest my case.

Originally posted by tutone
    Actually, there is a vaccine for FIP, but since there's still no hard evidence of its efficacy or safety, it's rarely recommended by most vets.
    Originally posted by Ross Purr-o
    According to the world class College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, a vaccine for FIP exists. Many do not recommend it as it is not that effective.

Gee, there's an echo in here. Alright, anyone else want to come in and tell me how wrong I am?

Gee, I make one mistake and look how y'all act!

Okay, start lining up!

is he back ??

please get us update on that run-away-cat . I'm really worried ; my cat is an indoor-cat too , and I would be so scared if he would run of !!!

I second that! (what lut said)

Tiger has still not come home. The food is being eaten and we are hoping that Tiger is the one doing the eating. Her neighbor said she saw him recently so at least he appears to have stayed in the area. The closest real busy highway is about a mile and a half away and everyone is hoping he doesn't decide to travel too far from the house. She is very worried and says her other cat seems to be noticing Tiger's absence.