Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crossing the border into Canada

crossing the border into Canada

I was curious. What required for crossing the border into Canada? I was talking to a lady and she said I could cross the border ino Canada but she thinks that new rules will be in effect in which I would need a passport to get back in the U.S.A. I don't have a passport! Help?

Wow that's a good question; I've been wondering this as well. I thought you did not require a passport but as I've never done it myself I wouldn't know

facebook

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    I went into Canada last year on a vacation trip. A picture I.D. (driver's license, state I.D., etc.) and your birth certificate IS sufficient, however with the new security rules, having a passport makes it easier and quicker and you're less likely to get hassled by the border people. It only took me two weeks to get a passport. Got it at my local Post Office - they took the picture and everything.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I beleive you still can get othrough with just birth certicate and dr. licence . But soon USA will require passport. It's easy getting in but getting back our guys are murder, no goofing around they are very serious. Had one customer last summer didn't beleive me they held him and family 3days and he was a US citizen he cracked a joke . can't remeber what but no fooling around. You going to go through Montana? I live close to the border.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

The rules change next January. Then you will need a passport to cross the border. Right now, you need picture id and a birth certificate. If you have time to get a passport, it's 100 times easier and way faster to cross with one.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

you just need your drivers. Thats all I use every time I go to the usa. I just went to Buffalo last sun, just to say I was there. We were pulled over for that as they always think we're smuggling drugs.. but the customs lad that was watching us ended up talking up a storm with us it was fun. We told him what we do & thats not really anything, its better then what most people do. he agreed hehe ...

Just make sure you don't say your going just across the border for a burger at 7pm, with 2 other young people.. ya they don't take too kindly to that.. they surounded us inside the building & held their guns then they made us umpty our coats, pull out our pockets & lift shirts (except me, I'm not into flashing gun-ho guys)... They had dogs in our car & everything.. it was kinda funny really, as we kept telling them to look harder & clean the car as they dig to no where (we were umm smart butts). Then it happened a few more times, then they got to know us every weekend & then we became buddies, they still did random checks on us but never held their guns on us again & they were much friendler & giggled when we said stupid things...

HAVE FUN IN OUR COUNTRY! Oh & its not cold in Windsor, but you might get lucky & have a snow storm while your down.. just stay off the roads then as they drivers FREAK out because of a WEE bit of snow heheh

Quote Originally Posted by Corinna
    I beleive you still can get othrough with just birth certicate and dr. licence . But soon USA will require passport. It's easy getting in but getting back our guys are murder, no goofing around they are very serious. Had one customer last summer didn't beleive me they held him and family 3days and he was a US citizen he cracked a joke . can't remeber what but no fooling around. You going to go through Montana? I live close to the border.
    Corinna, Ill be crossing at Detroit going into Windsor, Ontario.

Darn I though maybe i'd get to meet you.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

So they change it to a passport in Jan 2007? All I would need is my license & birth certificate? (I'll have to find my BC, I haven't seen it in years).

How about crossing the border with animals? I MAY or may not bring 1 or 2 of my dogs to Cananda this spring/summer.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    So they change it to a passport in Jan 2007? All I would need is my license & birth certificate? (I'll have to find my BC, I haven't seen it in years).

How about crossing the border with animals? I MAY or may not bring 1 or 2 of my dogs to Cananda this spring/summer.

As far as I know, its easy, aslong as you have all the paperwork to prove they have all their shots (esp. rabies) & proof you own them. Its usually best to talk to your vet as he/she can get all the paperwork ready for you & give any shots they need in this country. Also it'd be a GOOD idea to talk to customs about it aswell, as some breeds are banned in diff parts of Canada. Also you should find out what pet laws are in the city you are going to.

In Ontario Pit Bull breeds are banned (I don't know much about it), but its an idea to have papers stating WHAT breed the dog is.

In Jasper, you don't get a warning to pick up your dogs poop before they take him/her away & they you have to pay a HUGE fine to get them back.. on the 3rd offence the dog is taken away for good.

Quote Originally Posted by king2005
    As far as I know, its easy, aslong as you have all the paperwork to prove they have all their shots (esp. rabies) & proof you own them. Its usually best to talk to your vet as he/she can get all the paperwork ready for you & give any shots they need in this country. Also it'd be a GOOD idea to talk to customs about it aswell, as some breeds are banned in diff parts of Canada. Also you should find out what pet laws are in the city you are going to.

In Ontario Pit Bull breeds are banned (I don't know much about it), but its an idea to have papers stating WHAT breed the dog is.

In Jasper, you don't get a warning to pick up your dogs poop before they take him/her away & they you have to pay a HUGE fine to get them back.. on the 3rd offence the dog is taken away for good.
    Thanks, well as you know IF they come they will be coming to your house, or at least to a motel or campground near your house. lol Or maybe if I choose to go again later in the year they may go with me then, it would be around the Toronto area.

Do you know how I would get a hold of customs?

The only breed I would have to worry about ir Raustyk, a Rott, if she even comes.

I pick up their poop anyways. lol
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Thanks, well as you know IF they come they will be coming to your house, or at least to a motel or campground near your house. lol Or maybe if I choose to go again later in the year they may go with me then, it would be around the Toronto area.

Do you know how I would get a hold of customs?

The only breed I would have to worry about ir Raustyk, a Rott, if she even comes.

I pick up their poop anyways. lol

just get forms stating what the breed of each dog you plan to bring into Ontario.. Someone might point & say, THERES A PIT!!! Remember people are stupid & if they don't like your dog that the worst crime they can say against any dog.

hmmm I'll see what I can do about the customs number.

Crossing the Border with Pets into Canada from the USA.

Canada Customs

Canadian Food Inspection Agency
    Animal Products
    Animal Health and Production Division
    Importation of Pet Dogs

The pet import requirements outlined in this page are current as of 2006-1- 12 .

The following outlines the current conditions that apply to the import of pet dogs into Canada. The conditions are different depending on the origin of the dogs, ie. rabies-free countries (Section 3) vs. non-rabies-free countries (Section 2). For the importation of commercial shipments, please see Section 6 below for information on accessing import requirements through the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS).
    NOTE 1 Current policy does not impose quarantine in Canada on the import of pet dogs from any country.
    NOTE 2 These conditions apply only to pet dogs. If you have many dogs you may be asked to provide certification that they are your personal pets and are not for resale.
    NOTE 3 These conditions apply to permanant stay, temporary visits and in-transit visits.
    NOTE 4 Pit Bulls are not permitted entry in the province of Ontario and there is an Owner's Responsibilites which applies to all breeds. Additional information is availalbe on the Ministry of the Attorney General website. http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...la-pubsfty.asp
    NOTE 5 Before proceeding, please determine if the country of the pet (country of export) is recognized by Canada as a Rabies-Free Country.
    Select the section that pertains to your import requirements

Section 1 - Pet dogs eight (8) months of age or younger from ANY country

Section 2 - Pet dogs three (3) months of age or over from countries where rabies is present (or not recognized officially rabies-free by Canada)

Section 3 - Pet dogs three (3) months of age or over from a Rabies-Free Country (officially recognized as such by Canada)

Section 4 - Special purpose dogs

Assistance dogs that are certified as a guide, hearing or other service dog are not subject to any restrictions for importation where the person importing the dog is the user of the dog and accompanies the dog to Canada

Section 5 - Inspection Fees

Section 6 - Automated Import Reference System (AIRS)

The purpose of the AIRS is to provide information on import requirements for all commodities regulated by CFIA. The application uses a question and answer approach to guide the user through a series of questions about the HS Codes, origin, destination, end use and miscellaneous qualifiers of the product they wish to import.

If you are importing dogs and the above conditions do not apply, to view the current import requirements, please refer to Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) website: http://www.airs-sari.inspection.gc.ca

HS Code Selection: 01 06 19 2083.

Section 7 - Commercial Breeders

Commercial breeders who may be importing dogs under eight (8) months of age on a temporary basis for competition in a show or trial, may be exempt from requiring a permit if, at the time of importation, the importer provides an inspector with proof that the dog is entered in a show or trial organized by a recognized association in addition to the rabies certificate set out in Section 3 if from a Rabies-free country or set out under Section 2 if from a country that is not designated as Rabies-free.

Click here to send comments or requests for additional information on this document.

It's actually the American side that is changing the rules so that Canadians have to a passport to get in starting next year. The Canadian gov't just got a little grumpy about that and has decided to make American citizens do the same to get into Canada.

You may not be asked for your BC coming into Canada, but you most definately will be going back into the States. I cross into Alaska several times a year and I've never got in without producing my birth certificate.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    It's actually the American side that is changing the rules so that Canadians have to a passport to get in starting next year. The Canadian gov't just got a little grumpy about that and has decided to make American citizens do the same to get into Canada.

You may not be asked for your BC coming into Canada, but you most definately will be going back into the States. I cross into Alaska several times a year and I've never got in without producing my birth certificate.

Odd.. never shown my BC ever, only my drivers. The next time we get pulled over at the usa border I'll make sure to ask.

I am applying for my passport really soon, as Tom is taking me to CA in Sept & prob. Romania in Aug YAY!!