As I've posted here in Cat General last night, I had to take Luna to the vet yesterday because of a new severe outbreak of her UTI.

I discussed several options with my vet, and when Luna got her antibiotic shot, I asked if she would also get a diuretic injection. (Last summer, Luna got one in the vet er in Kassel, when she had a bad UTI at the weekend, and the vet there said it would support the healing process and would flush out the bacteria).

My vet said this would only be a good idea if the cat drinks a lot, otherwise it would do more harm than good. I told her that Luna is drinking well, so we thought we should give it a try, and Luna got a lasix shot.

Soon after we came back home, Luna started peeing - and for the next three hours, she was really peeing a lot!! It was much more than last summer when she got lasix for the first time. Last night, she was so nervous and walked around all the time, and several times in an hour she peed - in her litter box, in Lily's litter box, and on the carpet as well. Looked like the diuretic flushed out a lot of liquid, and I started wondering if that's normal.

What worries me now is that today, I got the impression that Luna has lost some weight. Even her legs seem to be thinner than usual. She's looking tired and exhausted, and is in a bad mood.

To make a long story short: Would it be a normal thing that a diuretic like Lasix flushes out so much liquid that a cat is losing some weight, or does that mean she's been retaining water? I'm beginning to worry that her constant UTIs may have affected her kidneys. My vet has already suggested to test her to be on the safe side.

I will call my vet tomorrow and ask her about the weight loss, I didn't want to call her today, outside her office hours again.

But if anyone here's having experiences with diuretics, please let me know, as I'm really getting worried right now!

Thanks,
Kirsten