Thread: Peacocks and kitties - a traveling tale!

Peacocks and kitties - a traveling tale!

We just returned from two months in Southern California. On the return trip we stayed (with our 32 ft. travel trailer and three feline kids) at Casa de Fruita near Salinas where the RV park had several full grown peacocks wandering around soliciting hand-outs. Daily they came to the RV during our three day stay there. This was a fabulous sight for both our kitties and us. Of course, we don't let our babies out - but they made all kinds of pleasant sounds watching the antics of their new-found friends. I didn't hear a frustrating sound out of any of the kitties or clucking. Finally I gave the birds their dinner - you guessed it.... dry cat food scattered across the parking lot. Sort of like feeding chickens corn. The peacocks loved it, came back for more, and probably missed this when we left. They didn't seem at all worried about the kitties in the windows - I counted 11 one day including two magnificently colorful males, two all white females, and the rest the usual female colors. Very noisy though, not exactly your backyard birds.

Treybabe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. It was so nice of you to provide kitty intertainment by scattering food for the peacocks. I bet the cats loved watching them. I put dry food out on the porch for stray cats here and was surprised to find birds coming and eating the food too. Who would have thought? Thanks for sharing your story.

Jays?

momoffuzzyfaces: I feed a stray cat here to. Sometimes the Jays eat the food/if not the racoons. Were the ones you fed Jays?
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

Re: Jays?

Originally posted by treybabe
    momoffuzzyfaces: I feed a stray cat here to. Sometimes the Jays eat the food/if not the racoons. Were the ones you fed Jays?
    There has been one of two Jays but mostly just starlings and robins and such. I don't exactly feed them. If the cats leave any food, they hop up on the porch and eat it. I was surprised they would come so close to the house but they are bold little things. No racoons that I know of but I have smelled skunks at night. I try to make sure no food is left outside after dark. Don't need those little stinkies hanging around.

That had to be a amazing site... just to see them!

~~~Rachel in Alaska
    Mom to "Max, Milo and Pepper Ann" 11.5 month old Teenagers

http://www.pbase.com/alasknmom/kittens/
    updated 10/30/02

Lachesis, yes - amazing. You could walk up to the male and he wouldn't back off or leave. They were all so tame.

Is it still snowing in Juneau? Melt yet? We lived in Glenallen, Anchorage, and Palmer for many years.

new kitties

Rachel: What kind of kitties or all kinds of kitties. So cute at 12 weeks.

Wow!! Two months in Southern Cal! Sounds wonderful! Awww...if only I had known you were at Casa de Fruta, I would have dropped down to see ya! LOL I live in Gilroy, which is only about 20-30 miles from Casa/Salinas.
    How did your kitties like the traveling??!! How fun! I can imagine their reactions to the peacocks! I tell you what, I was so surprised the first time I heard one. They really have a rather noisy call don't they!!! LOL LOL
    My parents live in Morgan Hill, and they have a 'neighborhood' peacock!! Nobody knows where he came from, but he showed up one day and has been there ever since! He makes his 'rounds' to all the houses in the neighborhood, so when he comes to my parent's house, my mom will put out his plate of food. We have quite a collection of peacock feathers. They're so beautiful, and he drops them once a year.
    My parent's cat just loves it when he pays a visit. He'll sit and stare out the sliding glass door at the peacock. I'll never forget the time the peacock came right up to the door and stared back at the cat! I think they just sat there and looked at each other for a good half hour or more! So funny! He was probably trying to figure out what this bright blue and green critter was outside! LOL He's bigger than the cat!
    I bet your kitties enjoyed the view!

Such a fascinating trip. That would have been so neat to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Misty

Thanks, Ila, for the picture of Misty. Misty is a brown classic (with white) Maine Coon isn't she?
    I have Gusty, a smaller version of Misty. Great cats, right?

Wolflady

Hi, Wolflady, We stayed in Morgan Hill last year in the Maple Leaf RV park. Spent a lot of time driving SJ and SF. Peacocks are something, aren't they? I should have had a camcorder but the sight and my kitties response will live on in my memory as long as I have a memory. Treybabe

More about Misty

I took another look at Misty, Ila, and I see maybe not (with white). By all standards she is beautiful and probably looks a lot like my Billy Bob who died just a year ago. He weighed 23 lbs though. Still miss him, but Gusty does help as well as the other, two LB and Trey. Stray and Norwegian Forest.

and Treybabe

Re: Misty

Originally posted by treybabe
    Thanks, Ila, for the picture of Misty. Misty is a brown classic (with white) Maine Coon isn't she?
    I have Gusty, a smaller version of Misty. Great cats, right?
    Misty is more gray and white with orange mixed. Her brother is calico orange and gray. misty is mostly Maine Coon.
    http://www.photogra.com/index.cfm/a:31416
    Attached Images Attached Images  

more about Misty

Ila, thanks for info about Misty. She sure looks Maine Coon. Gusty, our MC girl, weighs only 11 lbs. She is a sweetie, so laid back and gentle and gets along well with the others. Trey, our Norwegian Forest Cat, has patches of orange, white, and grey. She is 12, extremely cranky at times, but we love her.