Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching Children

Watching Children

Greetings! First time to this forum and I hope everyone eagerly shares their .02 worth. We have a sitution I'm researching. I have 5 children - ages 14, 12, 11, 9 and 1.5 - the youngest has down syndrome. We have for some time wanted a dog in the family and now we have additional motivation. Some children with downs syndrome tend to wander. We would like to get a dog that can help watch and 'herd' a wandering child inside or outside. Can a dog be trained to do this kind of work/play? Second,we have an opportuntiy to get a well behaved 3 year old female chocolate lab in good health with all the accessories very reasonably priced. Could we train/use a lab for the herding work/play?

Eric

labs are multipurpose dogs, i think its a good choice, because some of the more herding types might (i said might) get snappy and labs seem to be more gentle and adecuate for this situation, but i´m not an expert in that matter that´s just my opinion.
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Well, Collies(smooth and rough) were bred to 'herd' and they are very smart dogs. So, I would probably suggest a Collie of some sort. Maybe you can make her/him some type of threapy dog for your child. I don't know! But GOOD LUCK to you.

People train dogs to be a service dog for special needs people. I would suggest a golden retriever or a labrador retriever. They are both great dogs! Good luck!! also, I wouldn't suggest a high energy breed with your children...golden retrievers and labrador retrievers are pretty mellow imo.

one more thing, I don't know where you live, but here is a site that has information about service dogs..

http://www.k94life.org

again, good luck on your search!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

First off, WELCOME to Pet Talk!! You've come to the great place!
    A Lab would have been my first suggestion, so the Choc lab you are talking about may just be the answer you're looking for!
    I too would worry about a Herding dog being to snippy with small children. A herding dog's instincts to herd start with nipping the heels of what they are herding.
    Any dog can learn anything as long as you take the time to teach them! Dogs are eager to learn new things and most look for a job to do and you'd tend to have less behavioral problems with a dog that has a job!
    Good Luck!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I don't think you would want a herding dog.

I think the lab sounds like a good choice.

i would suggest a collie or a lab they are both great learners and good wth kids
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

The lab may be a good choice. I think a lab or retreiver would be your best bet. Herding dogs would be great for it... but like mentioned, sometimes they may nip at heals.
    No matter what your decision is with the breed of dog, you will need to do extensive training with him/her.

It could be done thats for sure.

You're best bet is to research to see if it has been done before & how they trained. Are you a member to down syndrome sites? Maybe they have more info on service dogs for children with down syndrome?

I wish you luck.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Hi and welcome to Pet Talk! I also think that the lab would be a gret choice, as they are wonderful family dogs. You might want to look around at trainers in your area and see if any of them can help you train your new dog to be more like a service dog. I think it's a wonderful idea for you and your child and I wish you the best of luck

MAXIMUS seems to be really concerned about babies(he's half lab). When
    Takoda starts wandering, he starts poking at him. He is also concered when
    he cries or makes any kind of demanding noise. Oh! did I mention the yuck diaper
    thing??? A lab may be your best bet.
    I'm sure MAXIMUS can be trained for these types of things. But, again, you
    have to take the time to train. Any dog can be trained to do anything. Hey!
    that's a really good point. They really can. But, time and patience is the key.

And welcome to Pet Talk! It's wonderful!!!!!

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

If I were you i'd totally look into a service dog. Call around and see if there is a service dog organization in your area.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I'd "test drive" the Lab you've been offered. Many dogs of different breeds are self-appointed nannies, others simply are not. My first dog was, and she was a maybe Shepherd/Dobe or Rottie mix. It depends not so much on the breed as the temperament of the individual dog.

A large breed like a Lab is certainly better in this situation than a more delicate dog, as the Down Syndrome child will need to be taught to be careful with the dog, as well as vice versa, and you don't want a dog too small to withstand an enthusiastic hug!

I would think your child would be entitled to a service dog trained to help with specific needs of their situation. I would suggest calling around also.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Labs can get pretty hyper, and although they are known to be great, smart, family dogs not every Lab is like this. I think you should look into getting a service dog that is properly trained for this type of stuff.

Welcome to PT! The lab you describe sounds wonderful, have you had her together with your kids yet? That will tell you alot. It's good that she's 3, a more mature dog will probably be better than a puppy or young dog for your situation. We'll all be waiting to hear more!