Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit a deer

Hit a deer

Last night I hit a deer for the first time in my life. I'm happy I was in the buick. It only damaged a headlight and the grill. The problem is it was a $200 headlight and 100 grill. I hate deer.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Sorry that your car has some damage however I'd be a bit more worried about the poor deer

That happens to my daughter in VA almost every other year, has totaled 3 cars, its so hard to know when they will pop out..Sorry it happend..

I'm happy you weren't hurt. I once stopped for a doe that was in the road. She finally crossed and when I accelerated she turned around and ran into the side of my car. Not too bright.

She was okay (saw her bounding off into the woods), car was okay, but it scared the crap out of me.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

(((hugs))) I hit a deer once years ago, scared the crap out of me. I hit it pretty hard and killed the deer (and my car). I know how upsetting it can be.

I too hit one once.... but I think it was just a tap. The deer ran off, and there was no damage to my car. I felt so bad for the deer.

My husband hit one over the summer, he was really shaken up and worried about the deer. Luckily the insurance took care of the car it was $2,000 worth of damage. The deer ran off but we don't know if it was okay or not.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

we hit a big bbuck christmas night about 4 years ago. in an suv on a little country road that was next to a deep cliff, had my then 4 year old neice, sister, and mother in the car and its honestly a miracle the car didnt flip. He hit my side of the car, flew up on the windsheild, totaled the car to no end. had to explain to a freaked out 4 year old no it wasnt reindeer or bambi. yes shes still getting gifts. blood, fur, and mix of liquids pouring out of the car everywhere. it was terrible, and next morning all my dad could say was "well did you go get it?" "...huh?" ... for eating! 'tupid deer....

That poor deer. I think i'd be more worried about the deer than the car.
    I'm very sorry that your car is broken, but it is no reason to hate a living animal that YOU hit. Hopefully i'm not the only one who thinks that way, it's quite upsetting.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Your username and the fact that you care more about your car in this incident really confuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    That poor deer. I think i'd be more worried about the deer than the car.
    I'm very sorry that your car is broken, but it is no reason to hate a living animal that YOU hit. Hopefully i'm not the only one who thinks that way, it's quite upsetting.
    ditto

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

well in OUR case, the deer hit us

I love animals but frankly I can understand her frustration. This time of year is maddening. Deer are always on the move but more so during hunting season. They get spooked out of there normal grazing and resting locations during the day. They do not just lay down where they are at night. They cross many roads and highways to get back to their normal nesting areas.

It saddens me to see a dead deer on the side of the road or highway and honestly we need more hunters to keep the deer population reasonable. There are no natural predators. I'd prefer to see the deer on my dinner plate than on the side of the road where it likely suffered.

And you can't accuse her saying she hit it. She didn't want to hit it. And at night there are times you can't see them. Rarely do they just stand in the road or meander out into the road far enough ahead so that you have time to stop for them. They just POP out and you either have two choices. Swerve or hit it.

And if you swerve you are likely to hit another car, a tree, or worse, a pedestrian.

There are so many vehicle fatalities this time of year because people swerve to miss the deer.

Both the police and insurance companies stress that you should never swerve. Always hit the deer. The damage will be less and you are likely to walk away.

My mom was able to stop in time for a herd of deer. The last one out of the woods landed on the hood of her car, killing itself and blowing out her headlights and radiator.

A boy in my high school swerved to miss a deer and hit a tree head on. He's dead but hey... they deer lived.

*gets off her soapbox*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I always feel badly for the deer, but nobody WANTS to hit a deer. It's an accident. They just pop out and they are really quite dumb about cars, as in the story where they tried to drive past and it turned around and ran into the car...I think it's okay to be upset about damage to your vehicle, but I feel badly for the deer as well. They can't help it there isn't much place to go anymore where there aren't people, but I don't think anyone intentionally wants to hit one with their car.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

There are no natural predators.

Yeah because of us! If we didn't kill off their natural predators then we wouold not have that probelem at all.

I totally agree with you Kay.