Thread: Removing Flea Dirt from Overweight cat

Removing Flea Dirt from Overweight cat

I am sitting for a friend's cat for an indefinite period. His name is Franklin, and he weighs 30 pounds. Because he is completely unable to groom his own back, I have bathed him twice since I have had him. The water in the tub is always red when I finish washing him (from old flea dirt). Afterwards it is obvious that the flea dirt is either 'back' or I didn't do a very good job of washing it out in the first place. None of the brushes and flea combs I have remove much of it, but if I use my fingernails deep in his fur, I find tons.

I have treated him with Frontline flea medication, but I'm unsure if it would be effective on such a large cat. Incidentally, I have never seen a flea in my house, and my other cats are flea and dirt free. No cats in this house go outside.

I am apprehensive about taking someone else's cat to the vet for a condition I'm sure the owner was aware of. He is terrible skittish, and becomes violent without much warning therefore I would like to avoid the cost and aggravation unless I'm advised that the cat needs professional care.

Should I shave this cat before the cold season arrives, or is there a more sane way to clean him up? Should I just leave the cat alone about his dirty back, like his owner did? He hates bathes, and tires of brushing quickly.

Whatever the consensus is, I'll heed.

to see Franklin visit: http://www.myspace.com/30pounder

Hi and welcome to Pet Talk.

Sounds like Franklin is in serious need of a diet. Poor guy. It's not healthy for him to be that big. I really don't have a suggestion as to what would be best. Since you have treated him for fleas now and don't actually see any fleas on him I would be concerned that he may have a different problem.

Could you call your vet and ask if it could possibly be anything else besides fleas? I'm guessing the owner didn't say he had a skin condition or anything.

Good luck, I'm sure someone else here will have a good idea.

From Decker with Love

Welcome,

I think your on the right track, as far as bathing and Frontline.
    He probly will need another dose, being at that weight.
    He really needs to be on a diet, that is so unhealthy.
    Did I read on his blog he is 16?? WOW, good for Franklin
    If it were myself, I would take him to a vet.
    Only because at his age, being the weight he is, and having this flee dirt
    problem there may be some underlying issues that need attention.
    Also if there is flee dirt you can bet there are flees, somewhere.
    And you dont want your other pets to get them.
    Thats just me though. 1/2 our babies are over 10 yrs. I feel like we run an old pets home.hee hee.. We do have 1 cat that is 21 lbs and he has a real hard time cleaning himself as well. And of course our vet said he needed to lose weight. Were working on that.
    Anyway I guess if your gonna have him for a while, you might just want to get him checked. He is a gorgeous cat. my best to you and Franklin
    Welcome again to Pet Talk, you will love it here. I joined last month and cant get enough. Everyone is fantastic here.
    Keep us posted on Franklin, take care.
    just me

A diet and more Frontline. Got it.

Now, how do I get that stupid dirt off him?

What size of Frontline/Advantage do you even put on a 30 pound cat? If you go by weight.. is there one for a 30 pounder? Yes, he needs to be on light food and loose some weight. Encouraged to play and get some excercize and get some of that weight off. I don't understand why some pet owners still thing the bigger, the better when it is so unhealthy. Make sure your babies are up to date on their flea treatment since he will sure bring them into your house.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Lila
    A diet and more Frontline. Got it.

Now, how do I get that stupid dirt off him?
    You may have to give or get him a lion cut (shave down) Get the problem under control that way first, his skin is probably super irritated. The vet's or a groomer can help you there.

Poor guy. Definately a diet to help him groom himself. He might need to lose 40% of himself before he starts grooming properly! :eeK: My Allen wasn't grooming himself at 23 pounds, and now he's "down" to 19 pounds... but that 4 pounds made a difference.

The weight management foods out there are great. If you keep him away from the others' food, you'll have him slim in no time!

As for ythe flea dirt... wow.... take him to the groomers. They'll make the best recommendation for his size, condition and your budget.

I'm getting a little irritated that I can't seem to get an answer about getting the dirt off of him. Of course I have him on a weight control diet, and am excersizing him daily. I figured anyone who loves a cat isn't going to let the weight problem continue. And yes, the Frontline. I had my husband's sister (a vet tech) measure and andminister a new dose of Frontline that takes into account his abnormal size. He has lost a few pound since I've had him, but I need to figure out how to get him bathed or shaved for a more immediate solution because I can't bear to let him live like this another day. I have been taking dirt off him manually with all my spare time, but it is a never ending battle.
    I see one vote for shave, and no discussion of other bathing products/techniques, so I'm assuming taking him to a groomer for a shave is my best bet. Any other suggestions that don't have to do with diet and Frontline?

I would go for the shave, too. It seems the best bet and only option in this case, considering you said you've bathed him yourself and the dirt is still there.

Also don't try to bathe him TOO frequently, you can dry out the skin and cause more problems

facebook