Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pet Talk offline Friday night and Saturday.

Pet Talk offline Friday night and Saturday.

I am going to upgrade the software that runs these forums to the current version of vBulletin. This is a major upgrade. I will have to close Pet Talk on Friday night, September 30, at 8:00 pm Eastern. I estimate it will take twelve hours to complete the upgrade. During this time you will not be able to reach Pet Talk.

The new software will have new features, however, the main reason why we are doing this is to be able to offer attachments to messages again. Additionally, because the database that is Pet Talk is over five gigabytes in size every maintenance task takes a very long time. It takes our webserver an hour just to save a copy of the database. Once the upgrade is complete we will be able to store attachments in the file system instead of the database so we will have room to grow.

Over the past few weeks, I have tested this upgrade several times using several different strategies. The developer of the vBulletin software suggested to me, as they have done to others, that the best way to speed up this process would be to delete our attachments. I would rather take twelve hours than loose the attachments.

Paul

Thanks for the forewarning, Paul! I know there are hundreds of people who would be in a panic if you didn't post this! LOL!!!!

TWELVE HOURS???????? What am I gonna do??? PT Withdrawal is NOT fun!!!! It's like asking me to hold my breath for 12 hours!! *stamps feet, throws self on floor*

Thanks for the heads up Paul!! I'm sure I can manage *sniff* somehow.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks for the warning, Paul. What will I do for 12 hours?

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Thanks for telling us, Paul. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Folks, just think about all the cleaning we can do in 12 hours!! All the PT homes will be shining.

Eastern time, it that Boston time? That will be GMT minus 5 hours, right?

Here's a link to world time zones: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks, Paul.

One thing that's been on my wish list for awhile is the ability to search only for threads a person started - not for all posts. Here's hoping.

And just noticed there's a new forum!
    Last edited by Freckles; 09-27-2005 at 09:56 AM.

Originally posted by Freckles
    Thanks, Paul.

One thing that's been on my wish list for awhile is the ability to search only for threads a person started - not for all posts. Here's hoping.
    Oh yes, that'd be nice!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

What will i do for the weekend?!?!!? i guess i could spoil the furries a little more
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Yikes!

Thanks for the warning! Although I promised myself right from the start that I wouldn't become totally "hooked" on PT - I guess I would have become nervous, if suddenly I couldn't make it work!

Regards,
    Sus
    Sus

Thank you for letting us know.
    Now what am I supposed to do!
    I guess I'll be taking lots of pics.

Seeing as on average, I don't have computer access from Friday 5 p.m. to Monday 9 a.m., I think I'll be okay.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Did anyone notice that this will take 12 hours OF PAUL'S TIME????

And Randi - you suggest that we all clean house while Pet Talk is down? You have got to be kidding!

Thank you Paul for your time and expense for this I for one use attachments becouse I just can't seem to figure out the other way. So I appresate this feature. Thank you.
    Also thanks for the heads up.( Ummm may be I'll get some sewing done friday.)

Originally posted by Logan
    Thanks for the forewarning, Paul! I know there are hundreds of people who would be in a panic if you didn't post this! LOL!!!!
    Yep, and I would be one of them. I still may be. I have a poor memory! I'll make myself a note .... now if I just don't lose it!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moff, you can always make it your pause screen - you know the text rolling across the screen.

Gini, of course we could also go and bake a pile of cookies.