Thread: Sleet's vet appointment...

Sleet's vet appointment...

Sleet saw Dr. Kim today. We love him! He rocks! I had to carry Sleet into the clinic. She has never walked into a vet under her own power. She's never been really sick or needed to stay. It's not a fear of her doc cuz he's the most gentle man alive. It's the floors! Why are the floors always slippery!?? Kim realized he was not going to see how Sleet walks inside so he did her entire appointment outside on the little patch of lawn behind the clinic!

She got a depro-medrol shot for her allergies. The scratching is already slowing down.

Sleet has somehow managed to twist her left rear ankle. It's not too serious and she should recover in a few days, but that's why she's hopping around on three legs. If she's still hopping on Monday, she'll go back for x-rays.

Her right hip seems to be fine, full range of motion. The knee on that side is a little loose, but she doesn't seem to care. The left hip is very arthritic and stiff, but that knee is rock solid. No meds for her hips yet, although I have some pain killers here just in case. She can't have any metacam for a few days. It doesn't mix well with the steriod shot.

Her eyes are cloudy, her teeth are worn down, her hips are stiff, but she's actually in pretty good shape for an 11 year old. She's happy, eating well, still active and at a good weight. Kim says there is no reason to think she's leaving any time soon....phew......
    Last edited by Glacier; 08-26-2005 at 01:52 AM.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

A twisted ankle under a bum hip ... no wonder she's *limpin*. :

Did you ask about increasing her Glucosamine dose?

Feel Better Soon, Sleet - Snow's Comin!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Sounds like overall it was a good visit...good girl, sleet...even if she has to be seen outside.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Boy Sleet, life can sure be rough on you there in the Yukon! Right? Take it easy sweet girl and get better!

Love, Terry, Daisy and Delilah

Sounds like she's doing GREAT for an old lady. A few aches and pains here and there are to be expected. Good girl Sleet, rest that sore ankle for a few days, you'll be back on 4 paws in no time. Very glad for the good news.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

So happy to hear she's alright considering her age. She will get better in a few days and be better to go at it again.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

Take it easy Sleet!! I'm sure you'll fine nothing wrong with laying around and doing nothing for a few days!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Glad to hear it was nothing too serious. You take it easy, Sleet. Glacier will have you feeling better in no time.

Originally posted by Daisy and Delilah
    Boy Sleet, life can sure be rough on you there in the Yukon! Right? Take it easy sweet girl and get better!

Love, Terry, Daisy and Delilah
    It's those young dogs! They cause me all kinds of trouble. It's hard to keep all them young punks in line!

sigh, I get no respect!

Sleet!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

uppidate...

Sleet seems to be doing well. She's almost weightbearing on her hurty ankle today. When she's standing still, she's putting it down and sometimes when she walks. Still limping, but the paw is touching the ground. She tried to play with Hobo this morning and pulled it up to run around him.

She slept peacefully through the night, no scratching. The depro-medrol is so much nicer for her than prednisone. For a couple years she went on pred. for the summer, but it turned her into a different dog. The depro is very similar chemically, but for some reason the side effects are less for Sleet. She still gets extra thristy, but she stays the same sweet dog she always is!

Phred, we are increasing her glucosamine and I might add some MSM/Chondrotin too. That's what my mom takes for her athritis. My vet said it wouldn't make things any worse and might help.

Thanks everyone.
    --John Irving

Adding chondroitin in is a good idea. Bear gets a combo pill that has both chondroitin and glucosomine (human variety) and it's worked really well for him. He was about 5 when we got him and already had severe arthritis in his back legs, he's around 9 now and doing better than when he was 5..... Glad Sleet is feeling better....if she's anything like mine she'll milk the "bed rest" for all it's worth.

Oh, pretty girl, glad to hear you're feeling a little better- keep up the bedrest so you'll be up and woooing on time for the first snow (mom says it's coming pretty soon).

Re: uppidate...

Glad Sleet is starting to feel a bit better!

Originally posted by Glacier

Phred,
    We are increasing her glucosamine and
    I might add some MSM/Chondroitin too.
    That's what my mom takes for her athritis.
    It's been a few years, but I remember Doc Mike telling me:

1) Glucosamine has been proven to help stiff / arthritic dogs.
    2) Chondroitin has never been proven to help or hurt dogs.
    3) Chondroitin DOES help HUMAN arthritis patients.

Lately I've seen articles advising that adding "MSM" does help
    with canine patients.
    Most of the Glucosamine suppliments that have MSM -
    also have Chontroitin in them, too.
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Cosequin and later Synovi-MSM kept my RB Buddy going for
    years. It was a life saver for him. I'm glad that Sleet is putting
    some weight on the leg now & hope with some rest the limp
    will dissappear altogether.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt