Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A First Tattoo?

A First Tattoo?

Well Ladies and Gents...I am thinking of getting a tattoo...my first one....
    A little background...I am 33 and have no distinguishing markings on me as of yet...unless you consider the roll around my middle...
    My ears are pierced and have been since I've been 13 years old (it was the "thing" to do then)

I have been comtemplating a tattoo for a while now....Collin just got his second one for his b'day in June (a $200 Yankee symbol on his right arm, his other tattoo is the Gemini symbol on the back of his right calf.)
    I have been thinking seriously about getting one myself...I am not nervous about the pain but about the visibility? Where can you get a tattoo that won't show in a wedding dress? I would hate to ruin my wedding with a tattoo showing.....just my personal thing....I was thinking...the top of my foot (which "they" said woud be extremely painful, or the back of my neck, also "painful") And I want it to relate to Duncan....I don't want his name because I'm not real happy with his name..but maybe a dog paw print on my foot? Does anyone have one there and was it painful? Or any suggestions?

I have a cat tattoo
    Hi all cat lovers have a nice day. chack out my meassge Board at
    http://orangeangelcat.proboards22.com/index.cgi

Where is it Todd? Or would you rather not say? And what is it? I am thinking about getting a dog paw tattoo on the top of my foot but I want it to be unique in some way to reflect Duncan...Is yours specific to a cat or is it general?

I would love to get one, but I'm too much of a sissy
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

If I ever got a tattoo it would be on the small of my back or shoulder blade, places that won't be affected by sagging or stretch marks later in life.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

I think a dog paw on your foot would be cool. Maybe you could have Duncan step on an ink pad (non-toxic of course) and make a paw print on a piece of paper, then have the tatoo artist transfer that to your foot. That might be a little more expensive than a "standard" paw print tatoo, but it sounds like it's more of what you want.

As for the pain, when I had mine done they told me that the fleshy areas - arms and such - are less painful than the bony areas - feet. Mine is on my ankle and as I remember it, it really didn't "hurt" per se. It felt like a very sharp knife cutting my skin, but it really didn't "hurt"....maybe more of a sting would describe it.

The only thing I would recommend is that if you are going to do this on your foot, do it relatively soon so it can be good and healed before fall and the wearing of full blown shoes. I think it would be quite painful - and not good for healing - if you had to wear something like tie up shoes over a brand new tatoo.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Why not inside your ankle? No one would see that in a wedding dress, if you're planning on full length!

Forgive me for saying this but you don't seem 100% sure about getting a tattoo - why not go for a semi-permanent before taking the plunge......
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Mine are on my left shoulder and my lower back. I am thinking about getting one on the inside my right ankle.

The most painful places are top of the foot, ankle, wrists, and neck. Any area that doesn't have a good layer of fat or muscle is the most painful place to put one. The needle has no place to "land" softly and smacks against your bone or tendons which is very painful for most people. I may get a wrist tattoo at some point, but for a first timer, I'd suggest another place on your body until you know how your body will react to the "pain" of a tattoo. I won't lie - yes, it does hurt.

I agree with Pit Chick that a non sagging place would be best. I got mine on my ankle, but fairly high up (more like on the side of my calf) because it was the least likely area to sag or be excruciating. Also, think about what might happen to a tattoo on your hiney or tummy if you gain a lot of weight. It will be stretched and distorted. I've seen pics of this & it's really ugly.

I have a tattoo. Its on my shoulder blade. It didnt hurt to bad when i had it done. I have a friend, she got a ring around her toe she said it hurt really bad. I think your toe has a lot of nerves.

Good luck with the tattoo. The paw print sounds really cool.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

I want to get a small paw print on my lower hip. I think it would be adorable...and you can always cover it up.

I forgot-- I have a Papillon right now that is my "soul" dog. I am going to stick her paw on an ink pad, and then press it down on a peice of paper. When I go to the Tattoo shop, they will be able to hopefuly make a replica of it- or just do the tattoo the same size of her paw.

Jennifert,

I'm 52 and also have a "roll" around my middle. That's the one thing that MooShoo and I have in common.

Funny you should mention tattoos. I've been thinking about getting another one when I go to CT next week. My best friend and I are going to do it together. I got my first one when I was 45. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Of course, I've compared it to giving birth, which I guess isn't QUITE fair.

I have 4. A heart with "Dad" on my right shoulder, a purple and pink butterfly on my left shoulder, a daisy with a ladybug on my right hip, and of course, a kitty cat with a heart on my left hip. I didn't have them done all at once. But once you get one, it's like an addition.

I want my next one to be Casey's (RB, 2001) head with 1995-2001 underneath it. Not sure where yet.

Go for it, girl!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Jen - Don't forget, there's always make-up to disguise it for your wedding. You could even practice that now - just draw something on you with a pen and see if you can get it to "vanish" with a good quality concealer stick.

PC - I hate to be the one to tell you this, but sooner or later, everything sags.

These are not the droids you were looking for