Thread: Rawhide Bones

Rawhide Bones

Does anyone here have trouble with their dogs eating rawhides? We give our two boxers rawhide bones and they are gone in about 2 days. Is it unhealthy for them to eat them? Is there a point where it gets to be too much?

Thanks for any opinions or experiences that you can share on this!
    Mother to Clover (Female Boxer) and Buddy (Male Boxer)

I don't know if there are too many in a short time, but I do know that, if you keep on giving them to your pups, you should try to buy bones made in the USA. The ones that come from abroad have substances that may be hurtful to the dogs.
    Probably your best bet is to ask the vet or go to one of the Internet info pages like:
    http://vetinfo.com/
    or
    http://canismajor.com/dog/

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Try being gone in about 2 minutes!! Or maybe in reality, 2 hours. My Lilly is so obsessed with rawhide that I had to completely stop getting it. My hand has been down her throat twice to pull out pieces when she was choking.

Be very careful. I have found that knuckle bones (large, yucky bones) are much better, and I do not allow them inside the house. Lilly has learned to "drop" the bone at the door before coming inside.

Logan

If your babies are very aggressive chewers, rawhides can be very dangerous re: choking. A year or so ago, we learned that a Pet Talk member had lost her dog from choking while eating a rawhide. Some suggest soaking them in water then baking them in a slow oven to make them less gummy. I'd rather not take the chance! If you do give them rawhides, make sure you are there to supervise them! But I'm with Logan...knuckle bones are a far better, and safer choice!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Louie had a problem with rawhide when he was younger so we quit giving them to him as he can't digest them. (I was told years ago that rawhide is hard for many dogs to digest don't know if that's true?) We now give him Booda Velvets which are Cornstarch based and more easliy digested. Lou also has a Kong toy that we stuff treats into he chews on that.

I had a scary moment years ago with my Whitney (Rainbow Bridge) while she was chewing on a rawhide bone. I also had to stick my fingers down her throat to prevent her from choking on a very slimy piece that had gotten too small. (They are really hard to grab when they are in the back of your dog's throat! I vowed never to get another one, but I weakened a couple of times and got Bella a few and I watched her every minute she had them. She is also a very aggressive chewer and could make them disappear in no time if I allowed it. I have stopped them altogether, though, in favor of more conventional bones. I just don't want to take the chance!

Holly has never had a rawhide bone. You need to watch out for the imported bones I hear.
    Rest in peace Princess Holly Bear...