Thread: Question for english riders :)

Question for english riders :)

As many of you know, I started riding english a couple months ago, and am progressing steadily! (sorry for no pics...my mom doesn't usually stay out to watch) I just had a random question...going from western to english, one of the only problems I've had is that my legs seem to swing when I canter and trot. Any tips from you experienced riders on how to keep them still?? lol It's always harder since I'm pretty tall, and keeping my knees bent as well is a little problem. Any answers will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

2. Katie,

The only thing I think of at the moment is to try and keep your heels down, which should reduce the amount of swinging that your legs create, I know its a hard switch, I did it too, I eventually got used to it!

Good luck!

BTW, did you ask your instructer about it, or maybe somebody else who works at the barn?

-Paula

Oh yup, I definitely keep my heals down...but maybe I'm not putting enough weight in the stirrups or something. I've asked my instructor about how to keep my legs still, and one thing she did say, is that it takes practice and strengthening in your legs. But other than that, she wants me to figure it out. Thanks for the tips though Paula!

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

When you put your heels down, try to point your toes in a litttle. Just a little. Not pigeon toed. Also squeeze with your calves so that there's little air showing between the saddle and your knees. Your shoulders and heels should be in a straight line. To strengthen your legs up to make it easier to grip the horse, try riding without stirrups about once a week. Make sure you're posting the trot to really strengthen up those muscles. Pretend you have stirrups when you really don't-- keep your heals down, and don't let your leg slack. Hope that helped! I've been riding english for over 9 years.

Thanks for the tips Devon! I do work on pointing my toes in...since I'm bad at that! And I practice riding without stirrups also...gosh, posting stirrupless is difficult! (my instructor has me do that!) Does it help to bend your knees more as well? I will keep those points in mind, thanks again!!

Thanks Kay!!

Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
    And I practice riding without stirrups also...gosh, posting stirrupless is difficult!
    I don't know if you jump yet, but jumping without stirrups helps a lot too! It really strengthens your leg muscles.

Originally posted by Buddy Blaze Lover
    Does it help to bend your knees more as well?
    It depends. Maybe, as long as you're not scrunching them.

Originally posted by flamepony12
    I don't know if you jump yet, but jumping without stirrups helps a lot too! It really strengthens your leg muscles.

It depends. Maybe, as long as you're not scrunching them.
    No, I'm not jumping yet, but jumping without stirrups really would strengthen your legs I can imagine! Oh, and I don't scrunch my knees...I don't think I bend them enough, although I'm working at it! (they're so long, it's hard sometimes! Being shorter is a great advantage for riding though!)

Thanks Kay!!

Do you have chaps or half chaps? Half chaps really help also.

Niņo & Eliza

If the horse has a really bouncy canter ask your instructor if you can try standing while he canters. If your instructor says yes, he or she will show you the right way to do it. (I don't know how well I'll be able to explain it lol)

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

i always tensed my legs, that way it stops the swinging and builds muscle.
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been said, is rolling your thighs in. Only problem is you have to roll them in while keeping the rest of your leg in position. I don't know if It makes sense, but It works for me.

About posting without stirrups... If I can't get something in my lesson, my instructor says that if I don't get it next time, the next whole hour long lesson will be without stirrups. Needless to say, I've had many no stirrup lessons. I rather like it, though, because next time I ride my legs are as strong as can be.

If you'd like a sig, PM me.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I will ask my instructor if maybe I can stand to canter Chrissy! And I think "rolling your thighs in", equinelover, makes sense...I think I'm getting the picture!

Thanks Kay!!