Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need input please about breeds

need input please about breeds

we are considering getting another dog in the next year or so,, but not before we get a larger home and totally fenced in yard.... BUT,, in the meantime,, I am wanting to think and research long and hard about breeds and thier traits,,,,
    Can anyone tell me any sized dog,,, doesnt matter.. that is very laid back and a couch potato in nature as a whole? I realize just because the breed is supposed to be so,,, doesnt make a dog so,,,, but I really need help here!!!
    Thanks!!!

You may want to look at older shelter dogs. Most of them are happy as a clam to just be a couch potato.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I do plan on getting a shelter dog,,,,I just need to know what breeds and or mix of breeds to look for!!

If you want a lid back couch potato....
    DON'T get a BOSTON TERRIER!

I agree with Kfamr, an older shelter dog would be great...

If you really want a pure breed, I'd say a poodle or poodle mix. They are usually laid back.

I have heard that retired greyhounds can really be couch potatos. They like to run (great for fenced yard), but love to lay around. If I get a bigger dog, that's what it'll be.

If you want a small dog, I have two dachshunds that are strictly couch/bed/footstool potatos. They don't get too excited about anything but food.

As Kay said, an older shelter dog would be GREAT.

Some breeds/mixes to consider: Great Pyrenees, St. Bernard, Newfoundland, Italian Greyhound (not always laid-black, but most of them I've met are).
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

GREAT DANES!!!!

Ooppss...clicked OK too soon....

Great Danes are notorious for being couch potatoes! That is their favorite past time! They are happy to just sit next to you...or on you...and hang out. They don't eat much more than our dobie, and definitely don't take up too much room In my opinion, the perfect dog! Just look at Skye and Sahara...how could you pass one up???
    Last edited by shutterbug0303; 06-06-2005 at 02:23 PM.
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day

I have also heard that retired greyhounds are VERY lazy, they do enjoy exersize but will gladly sleep 23 hours a day lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Poodles are actually insane my friend has a standard poodle, OMG. crazy dog.

I would say English Bulldogs, because they're typically calm, but my sisters Bulldog never stops running. English Mastiffs, Neopolitan Mastiffs, Danes, American Bulldogs, and a lot of other Bully breeds tend to be lazy-er. I hope you find the perfect dog!!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Originally posted by bckrazy
    Poodles are actually insane my friend has a standard poodle, OMG. crazy dog.

I have always compared the Standard Poodle personality to that of a Lab, hehe... soo active.

My mini Poodle mix though is calm as can be.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

It seems like most of the larger dogs have the tendancy to be couch potatoes, like great danes, with the exception of my cousin's dane, that dog is extremely active!

Like some have said already, I say go for some of the older shelter dogs.

Or go for a pug/rat terrier!! All mine EVER does is lay around all day sleeping, right now he is sharing my chair, snoring like he hasn't slept in weeks. But that's just probably his own personality, I don't know what others of his mix would be like.

Good luck on your search

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bckrazy
    [B]Poodles are actually insane my friend has a standard poodle, OMG. crazy dog.

I don't know about the standard kind... I had several toys and they were very calm. They never wanted to play. They just wanted to be in your lap all the time.

As others have said Greyhounds are a great choice.

I don't know that you'd have to worry about a little dog being a couch potato as they can get most of their exercise running around the couch all day! For a smaller dog I'd get a basset hound or maybe a small spaniel and for a larger dog I'd try great dane and greyhound mixes. They still need plenty of exercise though because you don't want a dog that's obese and unhealthy.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Don't get a standard poodle! They can pe pretty high energy. I heard or read somewhere once that the most laid back couch potato breed of all is the bullmastiff. The terrier bully breeds have a bit more energy, so a pit might not be the one, I would say pretty much any of the mastiff or bulldog breeds.

Niņo & Eliza

Originally posted by aly
    I have always compared the Standard Poodle personality to that of a Lab, hehe... soo active.
    LOL.. yeah, I didn't mean they're actually insane. Just insanely active. My friends poodle, Moxie, literally runs circles around the house and in the yard for hours they're also VERY sweet.

I totally forgot about Greyhounds, Lorraine. I've heard they're really relaxed... unless you let them off-leash in an open area ! Ask Giselle about that ^_~

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz