Thread: Pixel's new window 'cat shelf'

Pixel's new window 'cat shelf'

Ever since I saw those cats on the Katwallks [URL=http://www.katwallks.com/] website,
    having so much fun, I've wanted to make one for Pixel -

so monday night, I dragged out the materials and this is what my son, Jon, made for our Pixel kitty....

Jon cut a piece of plywood wider than the window (about 45" long) and about 7" deep and covered it with a scrap of carpet left from his room. he used a heavy-duty staple gun to staple the carpet on tightly.

then we used inexpensive metal brackets ($1.29 ea @ Menards) to mount the shelf across the window, right where the window sashes meet - so it doesn't block the window glass, and we can still open and close the window. ( and the blind on the top half of the window)

Pixel knew immediately that this was for HIM, and was walking and sleeping on the shelf before we mounted it!

i think it looks really nice, and since this big window is in our computer room, it provides an ideal spot for Pixel to keep an eye on us while we 'compute' AND watch the activity of the birds and squirrels in the front yard trees! it also doesn't take ANY 'space' out of this very tiny room! He loves to hang out in here with me, anyway!

I think Pixel approves.....

Thank you, for my new perch, Jon!

Laura

PS - we are probably going to make more 'catwallks' - this was SO easy! but I think next time we're going to use carpet adhesive and less staples - the carpet backing is really stiff and tends to 'bubble' up. If Pixel claws at it much, he will probably loosen the carpet eventually.

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera

That looks pretty good! With three kitties running around here soon, we may have to do something like that, too! Thanks for the pictures. Pixel knows exactly what it's for, and it looks like he's going to get a lot of good use out of it!
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb

Looks like Pixel definitely approves! He looks like this perch has been there forever for him!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

That perch looks so "pur-fect"!! Please send your son Jon over here . Maya and Inka would love him "fur-ever"!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Laura, you guys are so industrious!!!! What a perfect place for Pixel to see the outdoors and keep an eye on you and Jon!!!!

That is exactly the type of shelf that I want my hubby to make for my crew.

That is fabulous. Pixel looks so sweet and content up there.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Great job, Jon! Pixel is one happy looking kitty!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Oh No! Now,the Found Cats,will all want a window sill seat,too!And I am not exactly Bob Villa,or any kind,of a handyman.But I will see,issomeone could put,one up,for me,as they ,would all really get a kick,out it.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

What a perfect spot and shelf to relax and lay in the sun! Looks like he's thoroughly enjoying it!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Pixel looks so happy and content. Our "kids" have something similar that we got at Petco and they just love it too!

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!