Thread: Trap & release program

Trap & release program

I live in a trailer park & it is filled with cats. None of our local shelters or animal control officers trap or catch cats.

I was thinking of starting my own trap & release program (as I certainly can't keep them all).
    But how do you do afford it?
    Do you get any funding from anyone or does it all come out of your pocket?

I know I could set up fund jars & flyers & the such but I really really really doubt that it would raise even a quarter of what I would need.

I already talked to my vet, they will give me a discount BUT it will still be at least $100 per cat, I still can't afford all that.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

TNR is VERY costly. Ask Queenscoopalot, Kimlovescats, Jenluck or any of the other rescuers here on PT. It's also a very big commitment. You have to have room for the cats till they're tested/adopted spayed/neutered. Not to mention the cost of food/shelter to maintain the colonies.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Here is a listing of low cost spay/neuter centers across the US. Check in your area and maybe there is one close by that can help out.

Good luck!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

It IS expensive.

It takes a lot of time and patience, too. Some of the cats will be friendly, some very feral.

Even if you use a low cost clinic, there is still the need to house the cat at least overnight before releasing. Very smelly!

Trap, Neuter, Release does not absolve you of the responsiblity of supporting the cats when they are released. Unless the actual owners move and take their now sterile cat with them, they are yours to feed for life. And once you are feeding some of the cats, others will join for the free meal, whether they are ones you've had fixed or not. Be sure you are prepared for this.

Adoption fees for any that you can find families for can help. But for the most part, you are on your own. I can take the tamest to a local rescue/shelter for them to adopt out, because I volunteer for them. Not everyone can do that. (But they don't take ferals or extremely fearful ones.)

Mary

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Certainly a good idea to do some searching for possible free spay/neuter clinics. Call all the rescue groups in your area, and explain the situation. With luck you'll find a group that will have either low cost, or free for ferals. I'm tackling a colony tomorrow and having only 4 slots for the clinic on Sun. I'm going to have to trap only pregnant females by using a rope to control the trap door. Fun, fun, fun, and it's going to be pouring out. I've managed to get a number of kitties into these vrious clinics, and the best part is they're FREE! Be sure the cats are eartipped so you can tell which cat's been done, and which isn't.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Thank you for all the info.
    I've been calling a few places and found one or 2 that I *may* be able to get in with. I've got to speak with them again next week. One is a small cat only shelter, the other is privatly run but she gets GOOD discounts with her vet.

I'm also thinking about printing up flyers & going door to door in my park. Maybe some other residents would be willing to help out with the problem, especially seeing as a lot of us have our own cats & feel bad for them. The others in the park despise cats, but maybe if they realize that they help out with this that the cats won't be as much of a problem to them.

My vet said that once I start to bring more & more animals that I will get a bigger discount. So that will help, it will take some time but it will be worth it.

I've still got a lot to do & more brainstorming but I think I am on my way to something successful here.
    Next week when my schedule calms down I'll be going full force into this.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I found a orginazation near our town that has a feral cat program that pays 100% for S/N and rabies shot for TNR.. Get with your vet and ask for names and numbers of ALL orginazitions in your area and get on the phone and see if any of them offer such a program and if they don't, ask if they know of any that do. That is how I found the one I found. All I needed was a discription of the cat and a fax machine to have the form faxed to but they even faxed it directly to the vets office. Every little bit helps!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Contact Alley Cat Allies http://www.alleycat.org/resources_ancare.html#2 they have many resources on how to start a TNR program, places to contact, etc.

We've been TNRing for over 7 years now. We lucked out, after making numerous phone calls, finding an organization that helps people to trap, get low cost vet prices, etc. It can be costly and once you TNR you need to make sure they have a source of food and water daily. We also provide this for our colonies! Good luck and I commend you for doing this!

Also here's a number to call to find out low cost spay and neutering closest to your area:

1-800-248-7729
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

I found an organization near me called Habitat for Cats that is willing to pay for 100% vet care for all ferals I find (not strays). The only thing is I am responsible for transportation & the cat itself as they are FULL and can't take in any more and they have no room in to release them into the areas that they are allowed to. But that is more than fine with me, the cats will be released back into my area or if they seem like they have the potential to make a good house pet I will keep them until I find a home for them (provided that I don't get too many at a time). If I get too many cats I may have a couple friends & relatives that may allow me to release some cats in their area.
    Woo hoo I am so happy.

Now I just have to get the cats to go into the havahart. I haven't had much luck lately. I'm not sure if the cats caught on & learned to stay away from my place because of the trap or if it is just a coincidence?

I've already tried cleaning the trap to remove all smells, moving the trap, covering it, not covering it, hiding it under something etc...

So I brought the trap inside out of view & use and am placing some really yummy food out to lure them back. Next week or so I will bring the trap back out & put it to use again.

If that does not work I'll see if any of my neighbors will allow me to set the trap up in their yards.

Does anyone else have any ideas to get them to use the trap again or do you think this may work?

I have not seen the cat that I thought was possibly pregnant in a couple weeks. I'm not sure what happened to her.

I know there are at least 3 more cats to be trapped as of now and I am sure that there will be many more come a couple/few months.
    The people in the park say there is usually a good 25 cats that get dropped off here during summer/fall. A few years ago they said they had over 60 dumped here.

Great news!!! I agree that you returning them to your area would be best because it's familiar territory, but it's GREAT that they will pay for the vet bills! How wonderful!

As you know, I'm not experienced with trapping cats, but I know Jan (Queenscoopalot) and Donna(Moosmom) are quite experienced and hopefully will have some good suggestions for you - try PM'ing them or emailing them.

I do know that others have suggested in the past to feed them regularly, then about 3 days before you plan to trap - withhold the food. That way they know to come for you for food and will be extra hungry when you finally do put food out again, making them less leary of the trap. Also, I know they've suggested really smelly food like tuna or sardines or something to really get the cats' attention.

Hopefully momma cat is ok and will soon be bringing her babies around for you to trap while they're still young enough to be socialized.

Good luck!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I have better luck if I feed them in the trap with the door tied open for a few days. They get used to the trap being a safe place---until I untie the door.

A tiny bit of canned mackerel on top of the bait works pretty good, too.

Wish I could find a group to pay for the surgeries. You go, girl!

Mary

Mruffruff is right. Try feeding them in the trapwith the door open for a little while so they get comfortable being in there. Then, when you're ready to trap them, stop feeding them for at least 24 hours so they're hungry. Sardines works really well. Jan (Queenscoopalot) says catnip works great for her.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Mruffruff beat me to the idea of tying open the trap. Feed them ONLY in the trap, at first place the food dish near the opening of the trap, then each day push it further in till they readily go in. Catnip does work great, especially for tom cats. Fresh is easier to use this time of year, as the dried stuff may blow outside the trap defeating the purpose. Put the catnip on the ground, and then put the trap over it so it's centered on the ground just past the trigger. Hopefully you have a one door unit, and not those horrid two door contraptions that you have to balance bars to set. The trigger won't fold down once the cat's trapped in them, and the cat is risking injury on the metal trip plate. Not to mention, sometimes the door will go down on the cat's back, and then forget about trapping that cat for a long time. Boiled and chopped up chicken livers work great too, if you can stand the stench from cooking them! Good luck, and hope you can get the other stubborn ones.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Thank you all for your ideas.

I'll get the trap back out there as soon as I get the cats back in my yard. They haven't touched any food since Friday night/Saturday morning, even without the trap!!!

A few days after I lure them back to me I'll put the trap out there with the door tied open until they readily eat out of it. Then I'll let it work it's magic!